Bore Scoring! Who knows for whom the bell tolls...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Re: Bore Scoring! Who knows for whom the bell tolls...

Post by gnat » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:52 am

b3freak wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:43 am
gnat wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:37 am
If you are really interested it sounds like he is vaguely in my neck of the woods and I might be able to take a look at it for you if needed.

Oooh... Does Jake still have that 4.0 laying around? Not cheap, but this roller plus that 4.0 would be a nice combination...

Thanks man! I think he's up in Maine? I'm sure he's got lots of people interested. Maybe Bill can send him a PM. If I put an engine in it, I would have to either resell it to try to make some money or sell the one I have right now. My wife is NOT going to let me keep both.
First post says Baltimore/DC area.

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:53 am

gnat wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:52 am

Thanks man! I think he's up in Maine? I'm sure he's got lots of people interested. Maybe Bill can send him a PM. If I put an engine in it, I would have to either resell it to try to make some money or sell the one I have right now. My wife is NOT going to let me keep both.
First post says Baltimore/DC area.
Ahhh... Maryland.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:56 am

b3freak wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:51 am
gnat wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:37 am Oooh... Does Jake still have that 4.0 laying around? Not cheap, but this roller plus that 4.0 would be a nice combination...
I don't know if it's still around. I need to ask him, but I don't want to bother him too much over my crazy interests. I did get a sense that once an engine like this is finished, it doesn't take long for word to get out and it's sold. That opinion is based on what others have said that work for him.
Yeah I imagine that's true.

If I had somewhere for a 2nd 996 (already losing a parking space in the Fall), this one could be VERY tempting backed by a no-wait FSI 4.0 motor. I'd guess at being about 40 into it when it's done, but that seems pretty decent for the end result.

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:57 am

I need to get this guys contact info. and see if he's willing to part with it now. Got a little fun money, but won't spend much on this car. I mean think about it. What good is it if I pay $6,000 for it and put a $25,000+ engine in it, and it's only worth around $25,000 on a good day on BAT? :shock:

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:58 am

gnat wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:56 am
b3freak wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:51 am

I don't know if it's still around. I need to ask him, but I don't want to bother him too much over my crazy interests. I did get a sense that once an engine like this is finished, it doesn't take long for word to get out and it's sold. That opinion is based on what others have said that work for him.
Yeah I imagine that's true.

If I had somewhere for a 2nd 996 (already losing a parking space in the Fall), this one could be VERY tempting backed by a no-wait FSI 4.0 motor. I'd guess at being about 40 into it when it's done, but that seems pretty decent for the end result.
You think people would pay the premium for a 4.0L Raby engine in it?

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:00 am

At 25+ you are talking about a FSI motor and that is going to sell for more than the average 996 on BaT. Especially for a C4S coupe as they are a bit more sought after. I wouldn't bet on breaking even though. Only way (I think) it makes sense is if you are keeping it for yourself.

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:05 am

gnat wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:00 am At 25+ you are talking about a FSI motor and that is going to sell for more than the average 996 on BaT. Especially for a C4S coupe as they are a bit more sought after. I wouldn't bet on breaking even though. Only way (I think) it makes sense is if you are keeping it for yourself.
Do you know what a Raby engined car has sold for on BAT or elsewhere? I don't have a clue. I would imagine if would bring more money knowing there is one of his engines in it.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:26 am

b3freak wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:05 am
gnat wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:00 am At 25+ you are talking about a FSI motor and that is going to sell for more than the average 996 on BaT. Especially for a C4S coupe as they are a bit more sought after. I wouldn't bet on breaking even though. Only way (I think) it makes sense is if you are keeping it for yourself.
Do you know what a Raby engined car has sold for on BAT or elsewhere? I don't have a clue. I would imagine if would bring more money knowing there is one of his engines in it.
The most "famous" one I know about was the AE which had one of his early engines in it. The seller was not the original owner and did not listen to Jake's advice at all and as a result the motor was in a bad way. A guy from Canada bought it and had it shipped directly to Jake to have it fixed (as I recall Jake offered an insanely good offer to him). Any other 996 with a motor acting as that one was wouldn't have broken 10k, but that one sold for 25 I think. I know there have been a couple others, but I remember even less about them beyond that they fetched more than a comparable normal 996 by a significant margin.

You will lose money if you try to flip it by installing a FSI motor. It's just that you will get more than the average 996 for it.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:21 pm

gnat wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:37 am
If you are really interested it sounds like he is vaguely in my neck of the woods and I might be able to take a look at it for you if needed.

Oooh... Does Jake still have that 4.0 laying around? Not cheap, but this roller plus that 4.0 would be a nice combination...

Let me know about a PM on RL.
Never gonna make you cry...

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:24 pm

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:37 am
b3freak wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:23 am Did ya'll see this thread on the other forum?

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/1 ... ngine.html

What's with the C4S these days? Seems like more and more of them are having problems. More the reason why Jake is producing the series in hopes to better inform 996 owners.

I wouldn't mind snagging this car as a roller. I've been looking for a deal like this that I could use for parts or maybe even repair. I know I know.... I'm crazy for even thinking about it, but life is too short.
Ugh, started out as bore scoring then blew up. I'd really like to see some numbers on cars that are still out there by year, but I don't think that's possible. While its true we only hear about the cars with issues and the owners know what Rennlist is, I'd like to confirm that every 996 isn't a ticking time bomb.

Nice candidate for a used motor track car, given that its pretty basic.
Mine has been in the garage waiting for June ever since diagnosed. Going to break it out this weekend for an in-town PCA get together. Keep your fingers crossed that mine doesn't blow up. Really I think gnat is right...probably something else let go and failure not directly related to piston scoring.
Never gonna make you cry...