@#$& horn!

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: @#$& horn!

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue May 28, 2019 10:29 am

gnat wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:17 am 1.5 months later I've finally done something about the damn thing. Finally got AAA to come get it and take it to the shop.

Funny thing. If you can't get into the frunk to fix your dead battery, you also can't get into the frunk to get your tow hook :( Similarly frustrating, the 958's hook has too wide of a flare to fit through the hole in the bumper and the BMW's (I didn't expect, but it would have been nice) was too small. Luckily the shop is only a couple miles away, the tow truck driver was nice and willing to wait, and the shop had a 987 Cayman with a tow hook that worked (they had another 996 there, but it didn't have it's tool bag).

So I'm going to find a way to keep the hook in the cabin from now on just in case access to the frunk is ever forbidden again.
Yea! Let us know the root cause, outcome and how big of a hole the shop has to cut in the frunk to get to the battery.
Never gonna make you cry...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue May 28, 2019 10:38 am

The root cause is already known: Terrible owner that doesn't drive it enough to keep at least a minimal charge in the battery.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue May 28, 2019 12:28 pm

gnat wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:38 am The root cause is already known: Terrible owner that doesn't drive it enough to keep at least a minimal charge in the battery.
Still want to know how large of access hole they cut. That's not all bad as you could mount a frunk scoop to cover it up!

KoB
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by KoB » Wed May 29, 2019 5:55 pm

gnat wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:17 am So I'm going to find a way to keep the hook in the cabin from now on just in case access to the frunk is ever forbidden again.
A while back I rummaged through eBay and found a mostly complete tool kit for, IIRC, about $25. I was mostly looking for a new tool roll, as mine had disintegrated, but it also had the tow hook and wheel-stud gizmo for changing a tire.

So now I have a tow hook inside the car and another in the garage. I haven’t needed it yet, but you never know.
2000 Cabriolet-vertible, Paladio Pearl (Mirage) Metallic
1986 944, Zermatt Silver, AKA Der HooptieWagen

Einsteiger

Post by Einsteiger » Wed May 29, 2019 7:15 pm

All these examples of lockouts, tow hook dilemas, etc. are helping me to finally get off the fence on something I bought some time ago.

Like a lot of Porsche-newbies, I went crazy on Pelican Parts & Rennline. I've been the proud owner of a Rennline brushed steel folding tow hook.
Rennline TOW.jpg
Rennline TOW.jpg (31.78 KiB) Viewed 2699 times
It's still in the box. :oops:

I had thought it a practical addition because at the time, I had yet to find the stock one in the car. I'm finding pieces of the tool kit as I explore different regions of the 996 I got in Nov '17.

I've held off due to hearing people make comments about all the 'ricers' [sorry for the automotive slur, but if the fart can fits...] having a bright red tow hook...or hooks....on their pride & joy 1982 Accord.

But based on all of the info above from actual 996 sufferers, I think I'll install it. It's not a use it & put it away hook like the stock one, so once it's on, it stays....although I will save the bumper plug...you never know. :)

My rationale, as if I need one, is thus:
1. It's a 1999 - the odds of needing a tow for either a mechanical issue or simply a flat tire are higher than a newer Porsche. Plus at my age I would likely have it towed rather than try to put the spare on by the side of the road.
2. In such an event, I would rather the hook already BE there as opposed to fumbling around trying to find the stock one....or being unable to access the stock one.
3. The car has been lowered with new springs - another reason for having it towed for whatever reason requires it.
4. It could afford me the opportunity to confront any nay-sayers in the racer cult of our local PCA chapter with the stock tow hook, respectfully suggesting that they shove said tow hook up their ass. ;)
5. There is a chance that I'll get the car to the track for a HPDE or other event and you just never know...........
6. I'll be the envy of every Honda, Subaru and Z at the local cars & coffee. :)

Thanks for all of the second-hand advice. 8-)
Kevin
1999 C2 - Vesuvio Gray Metallic
Eastern Kansas

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed May 29, 2019 7:20 pm

Einsteiger wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 7:15 pm All these examples of lockouts, tow hook dilemas, etc. are helping me to finally get off the fence on something I bought some time ago.

Like a lot of Porsche-newbies, I went crazy on Pelican Parts & Rennline. I've been the proud owner of a Rennline brushed steel folding tow hook.
Rennline TOW.jpg
It's still in the box. :oops:

I had thought it a practical addition because at the time, I had yet to find the stock one in the car. I'm finding pieces of the tool kit as I explore different regions of the 996 I got in Nov '17.

I've held off due to hearing people make comments about all the 'ricers' [sorry for the automotive slur, but if the fart can fits...] having a bright red tow hook...or hooks....on their pride & joy 1982 Accord.

But based on all of the info above from actual 996 sufferers, I think I'll install it. It's not a use it & put it away hook like the stock one, so once it's on, it stays....although I will save the bumper plug...you never know. :)

My rationale, as if I need one, is thus:
1. It's a 1999 - the odds of needing a tow for either a mechanical issue or simply a flat tire are higher than a newer Porsche. Plus at my age I would likely have it towed rather than try to put the spare on by the side of the road.
2. In such an event, I would rather the hook already BE there as opposed to fumbling around trying to find the stock one....or being unable to access the stock one.
3. The car has been lowered with new springs - another reason for having it towed for whatever reason requires it.
4. It could afford me the opportunity to confront any nay-sayers in the racer cult of our local PCA chapter with the stock tow hook, respectfully suggesting that they shove said tow hook up their ass. ;)
5. There is a chance that I'll get the car to the track for a HPDE or other event and you just never know...........
6. I'll be the envy of every Honda, Subaru and Z at the local cars & coffee. :)

Thanks for all of the second-hand advice. 8-)
Somebody gonna steal that!

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed May 29, 2019 8:35 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 7:20 pm Somebody gonna steal that!
And it will look terrible. But yeah. Let's go with the stolen angle :lol:

Seriously, a lot of effort was put into the perfect lines of these cars. Why attach an abnormal growth to it?

I'll just get a padded cover for it and keep it in a door pocket or maybe print a holder to keep it in the enter center console.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:05 am

32wildbilly wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:28 pm
gnat wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:38 am The root cause is already known: Terrible owner that doesn't drive it enough to keep at least a minimal charge in the battery.
Still want to know how large of access hole they cut. That's not all bad as you could mount a frunk scoop to cover it up!
Ooooooh it's sounding like it might come to that!

Just called the shop as I haven't heard anything since dropping it off. Apparently they haven't managed to get into the frunk yet either.

Makes me feel better about not trying to screw with it myself while crawling around on the ground outside trying to get to areas where I have limited access to, but I don't think I'm gonna like the labor charges...

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:48 am

gnat wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:05 am
32wildbilly wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:28 pm

Ooooooh it's sounding like it might come to that!

Just called the shop as I haven't heard anything since dropping it off. Apparently they haven't managed to get into the frunk yet either.

Makes me feel better about not trying to screw with it myself while crawling around on the ground outside trying to get to areas where I have limited access to, but I don't think I'm gonna like the labor charges...
DAMN! That does suck.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:54 am

I'll be able to drive at night again! And lookie at what is peaking out of the grill now :mrgreen:
Untitled.jpg
Apparently the trick was that they had to connect 3 high capacity jumpers to the fuse box post and listen to the horn for an hour before it would finally pop the frunk!

Frunkenstein indeed!! :lol: