DOOR WAY To HELL - HELP!!!

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: DOOR WAY To HELL - HELP!!!

Post by B3DAWG » Tue May 14, 2019 6:06 am

sweet victory wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:40 am
Let me know if you have questions, I've done this twice. I bought a used, 30k mileage one off parts society, and regret it. It failed within 3 months and gave me all the issues above. First replacement was to resolve window drop issue.
Hey man,

See picture. Does it take a special tool to loosen these two bolts or will a standard star hex socket work? I have a set of star hex sockets, but the two bolt heads in the picture look to have many more teeth. Advice?
Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 9.02.34 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 9.02.34 AM.png (378.57 KiB) Viewed 2485 times

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue May 14, 2019 6:53 am

b3freak wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:06 am
Let me know if you have questions, I've done this twice. I bought a used, 30k mileage one off parts society, and regret it. It failed within 3 months and gave me all the issues above. First replacement was to resolve window drop issue.
Hey man,

See picture. Does it take a special tool to loosen these two bolts or will a standard star hex socket work? I have a set of star hex sockets, but the two bolt heads in the picture look to have many more teeth. Advice?

...and so what should be a simple job begins...with a trip to the tool store. Fasteners are the bane to my existence!
Never gonna make you cry...

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Tue May 14, 2019 6:58 am

32wildbilly wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:53 am

Hey man,

...and so what should be a simple job begins...with a trip to the tool store. Fasteners are the bane to my existence!

Yea, I just did this job for my father on his Ford truck, but thankfully, Ford doesn't try to screw it's customers by creating bolt head patterns that only they have tools for.

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Tue May 14, 2019 7:19 am

Hey man,

#8 Triple Square Bit Socket.Those fasteners come blue lock-tited from the factory, so it will strip if you try to use a torx.

My how-to tells you all the tools you will need. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=277

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Tue May 14, 2019 7:28 am

sweet victory wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:19 am

Hey man,

#8 Triple Square Bit Socket.Those fasteners come blue lock-tited from the factory, so it will strip if you try to use a torx.

My how-to tells you all the tools you will need. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=277
Thanks a million!!!! I completely forgot about this DIY thread you made on the subject. Beautiful! You my friend are a rock star.

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Sun May 19, 2019 8:12 am

Got the lock assembly installed and it worked perfectly. Wasn't a PITA like I thought it would have been. Thank you Sweet Victory for great instructions. Personally, it wasn't any harder to replace than what I experienced with my father's F150.

The best advice is to take pictures a long the way so that you can back reference them. Also, I didn't realize that you had to move parts from the old locking assembly to the new one either. I see in Sweet's write up that he mentioned it (I missed that part). I'm glad I didn't throw it on the ground or trash it. I didn't realize you had to move over the plastic "L clamp" connector (part#12 in Wildbilly's diagram) and the plastic cover (#19 in the image I posted). Without the L connector, the handle would not have worked and without the part #19, the cable would have popped off. Such cheap looking little parts. Ford's is a much better design. I know, I know.. apples and oranges.

Also, Sweet's advice for getting the 8mm "triple square bit" was brilliant. Trying to unscrew those two main bolts with a star hex bit would have been a disaster because I could not find one to fit perfectly and it definitely would have stripped the small teeth on the bolt head. Plus, the thread lock glue on the bolts was a chore to unloosen, but the triple square bits didn't shift when breaking torque. Perfect!

Anyway, thank you guys for all the advice and encouragement. Now, I need to get those coil packs changed out. Raby told me he would assist and so I'm going to his shop next Saturday to finish filming the bore scoring series and then afterwards get him to help me install the coil packs. Maybe he'll do a short video on the topic of changing them out. We'll see.
Last edited by B3DAWG on Sun May 19, 2019 9:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Sun May 19, 2019 8:49 am

b3freak wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:12 am Got the lock assembly installed and it work perfectly. Wasn't a PITA like I thought it would have been. Thank you Dr. Stranglove for great instructions. Personally, it wasn't any harder to replace than what I experienced with my father's F150.

The best advice is to take pictures a long the way so that you can back reference them. Also, I didn't realize that you had to move parts from the old locking assembly to the new one either. I see in Doc's write up that he mentioned it (I missed that part). I'm glad I didn't throw it on the ground or trash it. I didn't realize you had to move over the plastic "L clamp" connector (part#12 in Wildbilly's diagram) and the plastic cover (#19 in the image I posted). Without the L connector, the handle would not have worked and without the part #19, the cable would have popped off. Such cheap looking little parts. Ford's is a much better design. I know, I know.. apples and oranges.

Also, Doc's advice for getting the 8mm "triple square bit" was brilliant. Trying to unscrew those two main bolts with a star hex bit would have been a disaster because I could not find one to fit perfectly and it definitely would have stripped the small teeth on the bolt head. Plus, the thread lock glue on the bolts was a chore to unloosen, but the triple square bits didn't shift when breaking torque. Perfect!

Anyway, thank you guys for all the advice and encouragement. Now, I need to get those coil packs changed out. Raby told me he would assist and so I'm going to his shop next Saturday to finish filming the bore scoring series and then afterwards get him to help me install the coil packs. Maybe he'll do a short video on the topic of changing them out. We'll see.
SAAAAWEET! Good job.
Never gonna make you cry...

Einsteiger

Post by Einsteiger » Sun May 19, 2019 4:49 pm

So...did you have to run out and get the " Double-Secret #8 triple square bit"? It does not sound like something you find at the local hardware store.
Kevin
1999 C2 - Vesuvio Gray Metallic
Eastern Kansas

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Sun May 19, 2019 7:33 pm

Einsteiger wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:49 pm So...did you have to run out and get the " Double-Secret #8 triple square bit"? It does not sound like something you find at the local hardware store.
Funny you should ask. Went to Home Depot, they didn’t have it, went AutoZone, they didn’t have it, went to Advanced Auto, and they didn’t have it either.... all them said it had to be ordered. Last I tried O reilys ... they had them! Yay!