From Bore Scoring to Health Courtesy Flat6 Innovations

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

From Bore Scoring to Health Courtesy Flat6 Innovations

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:44 am

I'm starting a new thread to document the rebuild process on my car by Flat6 Innovations. I will add updates when they are available.

My 2005 996 C4S was shipped to Flat6 Innovations for an engine rebuild due to scored cylinder liners on 5-26-19 by Reliable Carriers. I am going to try to keep a log here as the rebuild progresses.

I will start with some history. Bought car June 2014 with 52,600 and had no personal knowledge of Porsches. No service or maintenance records. Car was in Houston, TX area from 2004 to 2013. It was traded in and did the dealer/auction/dealer deal and I bought it from the guy who had it for about eight months. Nothing of note in CarFax. Had a PPI done without a pan drop due to lack of knowledge. Nothing found related to the engine. Previous owner said it did use some oil. I noticed minimal oil usage the first two years and had read that some of these cars use some oil and was not concerned. In addition the first two years the engine made no unusual noises. On occasion would get a puff of whitish smoke on first start of day which would clear up immediately, driver side tailpipe only. Drivers side exhaust pipe was more sooty than passenger side. Regular oil and filter changes plus car was stored over the winter.

In 2017 noticed small but distinct "ticking" sound on passenger side of engine which was louder when engine was hot. As the season went on the sound became more noticeable. Also notice increased oil consumption approaching 32oz added over the summer. Also noticed some driver side tailpipe spitting on initial start that appeared to be water and carbon. This symptom would go away before the time the SAI would time out, so less than 1 1/2 minutes. This symptom disappeared. Tested AOS thinking maybe pulling oil up during infancy failure. AOS tested perfect...right in the "sweet spot" per Jake.

Start of 2018 season after initial oil change noticed sound was less compared to end of season 2017. As season progressed noise grew louder and, again, more noticeable when hot. Added 12oz of oil in approx. 350 miles. Got a CEL for P0306 #6 cylinder misfire. Ran rough but cleared up and light went off. Next time out after sitting for a few weeks got another CEL same code. Thinking coils and plugs changed both. Found three of the six coils cracked. Two with ginormous cracks! However #6 spark plug was fouled with oil and bridged over with "oily-carbony" looking deposits. Boroscoped through spark plug holes and found significant scoring in #6 and lesser but still significant scoring in #5 easily seen with pistons at bottom dead center. Did not drop pan to view from below as mine had progressed up into the bore at this time.

So that is the sad history. I can tell you by 2017 I had read enough to be suspicious and in denial at what was causing the noise...and knew it was NOT a lifter.

A pic of the scoring:
6[1].jpg
6[1].jpg (61.48 KiB) Viewed 3907 times
Last edited by 32wildbilly on Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
Never gonna make you cry...

32wildbilly

Re: From Bore Scoring to Health Courtesy F6 Innovations

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:46 am

First video from F6I:

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Re: From Bore Scoring to Health Courtesy Flat6 Innovations

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:21 am

Good luck man! I suspect it will be worth the wait. Imagine having a 996 you don't have to worry about.

I meant to ask, did you ever do an oil analysis? I am curious about what a report looks like where we know the scoring is happening.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:40 am

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:21 am Good luck man! I suspect it will be worth the wait. Imagine having a 996 you don't have to worry about.
what-me-worry.jpg
what-me-worry.jpg (215.41 KiB) Viewed 3872 times
OceanBlue2000 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:21 am I meant to ask, did you ever do an oil analysis? I am curious about what a report looks like where we know the scoring is happening.
Nope! Just call me stoopid. I will when I get the car back or Jake might come hunt me down. :D Denial is strong juju. Kind of like not getting a full body scan cause you really don't want to know(plus I don't want that giant dose of radiation anyway)

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:44 am

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:21 am Good luck man! I suspect it will be worth the wait. Imagine having a 996 you don't have to worry about.

I meant to ask, did you ever do an oil analysis? I am curious about what a report looks like where we know the scoring is happening.
Jake spoke about this on the bore scoring series. It may have been mention on the UOA video too. When bore scoring begins you notice it by an increase of silicon and Aluminum on the UOA report. Then, as the scoring progresses deeper into the cylinder bores, the UOA starts to look good again. Why? Because the particle sized has increase beyond what a UOA can detect. Make sense?

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:26 pm

b3freak wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:44 am

Jake spoke about this on the bore scoring series. It may have been mention on the UOA video too. When bore scoring begins you notice it by an increase of silicon and Aluminum on the UOA report. Then, as the scoring progresses deeper into the cylinder bores, the UOA starts to look good again. Why? Because the particle sized has increase beyond what a UOA can detect. Make sense?
Yep, and its just as insidious as I expected. My engine is heaiing itself! No its not!
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:31 pm

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:26 pm

Yep, and its just as insidious as I expected. My engine is heaiing itself! No its not!
bwahahahaha! Sorry man, but that comment cracked me up. hahaha

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:04 pm

My particle size must as big as golf balls from the sound it was making!

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:30 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:04 pm My particle size must as big as golf balls from the sound it was making!
Are we still talking about cars here? :lol:

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:19 pm

b3freak wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:30 pm
32wildbilly wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:04 pm My particle size must as big as golf balls from the sound it was making!
Are we still talking about cars here? :lol:
Kinda like the old joke: "...she had nipples the size of ceegaar butts!"