Battery Replacement

DTMiller
"Special"

Battery Replacement

Post by DTMiller » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:41 am

My battery is toast. Replacing it today.

Anything special to replace one on one of these cars? I have a vague recollection there is something you should do but I might be hallucinating.
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor
June 16, 2017 Funland GoKart Champion (6:13 p.m. main event)
Willing to risk life for track time

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: Battery Replacement

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:35 am

DTMiller wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:41 am My battery is toast. Replacing it today.

Anything special to replace one on one of these cars? I have a vague recollection there is something you should do but I might be hallucinating.
I don't know on those fancy newfangled cars but us poor old 996 owners need to have the radio code before unhooking the battery. However, maybe I'm just having a flashback...

Wait I thought I was talking to Zilla...nevermind
Never gonna make you cry...

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:38 am

32wildbilly wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:35 am
DTMiller wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:41 am My battery is toast. Replacing it today.

I don't know on those fancy newfangled cars but us poor old 996 owners need to have the radio code before unhooking the battery. However, maybe I'm just having a flashback...
I have aftermarket radio so I don't need that. I thought there was something else. I guess I could look in the owners manual. It's all the way out in the garage though.
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor
June 16, 2017 Funland GoKart Champion (6:13 p.m. main event)
Willing to risk life for track time

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:41 am

DTMiller wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:38 am
32wildbilly wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:35 am

I have aftermarket radio so I don't need that. I thought there was something else. I guess I could look in the owners manual. It's all the way out in the garage though.
Send the kid out to get the manual.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:43 am

I would walk out to get mine and check for you but it would be a long walk to Georgia.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:47 am

I believe there is indeed something you are supposed to do to recalibrate a sensor or something, but I've never done that.

1) Insert new battery
2) Start car
3) Reset seat memory
4) Reset one-touch windows
5) Drive

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:54 am

gnat wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:47 am I believe there is indeed something you are supposed to do to recalibrate a sensor or something, but I've never done that.

1) Insert new battery
2) Start car
3) Reset seat memory
4) Reset one-touch windows
5) Drive
I was hoping gnat would chime in as his car was five minutes from having a hole cut in the hood because of a dead battree recently.

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:19 am

Hmmm, I had the battery disconnected for a few hours while I did my radio thing and I don't recall doing any of that, other than resetting the radio. I think the seat memory is still stored. You'll definitely be disconnected shorter than I was if you're just replacing the battery.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:42 am

You need to calibrate the window regulators and the sunroof - the limits have to be set. For the windows, just roll them up and leave the "up" button depressed for 5 extra seconds. This sets the upper limit for the regulator; until you do this, one-touch roll-up will not work (you'll have to keep the button pressed to roll the windows up).

The sunroof operation is similar - but one of the limit switches in mine is currently on the blink and I can't remember the procedure for setting the limits. Maybe someone else can...

Depending on which radio you have, you'll need to re-enter the unlock code each time the battery is disconnected (what a pain). This was the case with the MOST-bus system in my '03 986; my '99 Carrera 4 does not need a radio code each time.

If you have a C4 and less than half a tank of gas, disconnecting the battery will cause the car to lose the estimated distance until empty value, and the gauge will not be accurate until you refill the tank.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:45 am

5chn3ll wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:42 am The sunroof operation is similar - but one of the limit switches in mine is currently on the blink and I can't remember the procedure for setting the limits. Maybe someone else can...
Silly people cutting holes in a perfectly good solid roof.... :roll: