Operating hours counter question

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Operating hours counter question

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:53 am

Can somebody explain how this thing works. Example my car shows 2276.600 as a 2005 does that mean the engine has only run that amount of time since 2005 and 54k.5k miles? That hardly seems possible!

The real reason I ask is it shows one range 2 ignition within the last 80 operating hours. Which may or may not be in my ownership tenure. I know it wasn't me because I don't think I've ever had it to 6,000rpm much less pull a money shift, but it has been to my Indi a few times and to the body shop once. No biggie now as it is a reconstructed engine just surprised to see a range 2.

Of further interest it shows 2270 ignitions in range 1 further back in it's life so somebody must have beat the shit out of it.

I see of no way to extrapolate the hours to actual dates, but I would love to have that capability.
Never gonna make you cry...

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: Operating hours counter question

Post by B3DAWG » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:21 am

32wildbilly wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:53 am Can somebody explain how this thing works. Example my car shows 2276.600 as a 2005 does that mean the engine has only run that amount of time since 2005 and 54k.5k miles? That hardly seems possible!

The real reason I ask is it shows one range 2 ignition within the last 80 operating hours. Which may or may not be in my ownership tenure. I know it wasn't me because I don't think I've ever had it to 6,000rpm much less pull a money shift, but it has been to my Indi a few times and to the body shop once. No biggie now as it is a reconstructed engine just surprised to see a range 2.

Of further interest it shows 2270 ignitions in range 1 further back in it's life so somebody must have beat the shit out of it.

I see of no way to extrapolate the hours to actual dates, but I would love to have that capability.
Regarding operation hours. That's not bad at all really. I have over 2000 hrs on my car and it only has 51,000 miles on it. Operation hours can be really high on weekend type cars. Kind of reminds me of our production van at the university. Although we've owned the van more than 20 years, we've only put about 10,000 miles on it, but have an enormous amount of operation hours. Why? Lots of short trips with long running times. Think about it, I may have to jet across campus and not even put a mile on the vehicle, but yet I was in the vehicle running for over 2hrs to transport equipment back and forth from the project site.

My over-revs in Range 1 are 11,805 and like you, I have just 1 over-rev in Range 2.

Unfortunately, these values are permanently recorded to the ECU regardless if you had the engine rebuild or not. My Range 2 over-rev happened when I punched it in first gear and was slow to shift to second. I admit, I had the girls in the car and I was trying show off a little. hahaha The result? An over-rev in Range 2. Ouch! Glad I didn't damage the motor.

My bet someone at the independent shop took it out for a spirited drive. Makes you wonder doesn't it? These cars bring the worst out of shady shops. That's why I don't let just anyone touch my car. In fact, I removed the wheels last time I needed to have new tires mounted. I know it sounds anal, but I'm tired of inheriting damage from some idiot that "didn't do nuttin or see nuttin'".

Personally, now that you have a *new* engine, I wouldn't worry of that old data. Drive it and have FUN! :D

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:28 am

b3freak wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:21 am My Range 2 over-rev happened when I punched it in first gear and was slow to shift to second. I admit, I had the girls in the car and I was trying show off a little. hahaha The result? An over-rev in Range 2. Ouch! Glad I didn't damage the motor.
I thought range 2 was an over rev which is only possible from a bad down shift? Similarly I thought range 1 was when you got the rev limiter.

The description I recall is that range 1 tells you how the car was driven, but it does really indicate issues. Range 2 is bad, though if it is old then there isn't anything to worry about.

Also remember that there is a number you need to divide the counts by (2 or 6 I think) that will tell you how many seconds it spent in that range. So a 2 isn't really a big concern.

Hatchetf15
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by Hatchetf15 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:01 pm

As b3 mentions it is possible to overshoot the limiter on launch. One ignition is not a factor. That’s not even an ‘over-rev’ because it was 1/6 of a rev, if the ECU is even right. Wildbilly, did you record the start hours from install of rebuild? Good reference point for you to monitor health of the motor from here on out. If something burps you can scan it and report it to F6I.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:47 pm

Hatchetf15 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:01 pm As b3 mentions it is possible to overshoot the limiter on launch. One ignition is not a factor. That’s not even an ‘over-rev’ because it was 1/6 of a rev, if the ECU is even right. Wildbilly, did you record the start hours from install of rebuild? Good reference point for you to monitor health of the motor from here on out. If something burps you can scan it and report it to F6I.
As meticulous as his shop is, I have to imagine that Jake has the info on file. From what I hear about his paperwork, Billy probably has a copy too.

Good idea in general though.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:47 am

gnat wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:47 pm
Hatchetf15 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:01 pm As b3 mentions it is possible to overshoot the limiter on launch. One ignition is not a factor. That’s not even an ‘over-rev’ because it was 1/6 of a rev, if the ECU is even right. Wildbilly, did you record the start hours from install of rebuild? Good reference point for you to monitor health of the motor from here on out. If something burps you can scan it and report it to F6I.
As meticulous as his shop is, I have to imagine that Jake has the info on file. From what I hear about his paperwork, Billy probably has a copy too.

Good idea in general though.
Correct.

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:39 pm

...and we have the simplified version!

Knowing someone spun the engine to 9,500 RPM instead of just knowing that the car hit some number greater than 7,900 but didn't explode seems more usefuller.

(If this is all nonsense: 987/997 DME uses a 6-range count instead of the 2-range count we use)...

This is a nicely digested explanation:
http://www.911virgin.com/porsche/rev-range-information/

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:42 pm

I found this point interesting - I was unaware that slushboxes and manuals were evaluated differently. I guess if you manage to money-shift a PDK, Porsche thinks you deserve a prize.

*** Porsche dealers are advised by the manufacturer to disregard over rev data on all PDK and Tiptronic transmission cars when assessing a car for warranty provision. Consequently a PDK / Tiptronic vehicle with activity recorded as high as Range 6, assuming all other mechanical checks are passed, will be applicable for warranty***

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:53 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:39 pm ...and we have the simplified version!

Knowing someone spun the engine to 9,500 RPM instead of just knowing that the car hit some number greater than 7,900 but didn't explode seems more usefuller.

(If this is all nonsense: 987/997 DME uses a 6-range count instead of the 2-range count we use)...

Interesting! Even if I didn't have a reconstructed engine I would be fine with my car based on reading that article.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:14 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:53 pm
5chn3ll wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:39 pm ...and we have the simplified version!

Interesting! Even if I didn't have a reconstructed engine I would be fine with my car based on reading that article.
Yeah like so many other things around buying a 911, there is a lot of hysteria over the range values too.