My 2002 996 "renovation" thread

wyovino
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: My 2002 996 "renovation" thread

Post by wyovino » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:06 am

I've read more than a few posts from people who have upgraded the door speakers only to be really disappointed. Thanks for pointing out that the OEM ones are still available and relatively cheap. My original speakers are fine but I'm considering buying replacements while they're still available. It's kind of an obsession - I have a bunch of parts stockpiled. You know, just in case.

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:22 am

wyovino wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:06 am I've read more than a few posts from people who have upgraded the door speakers only to be really disappointed. Thanks for pointing out that the OEM ones are still available and relatively cheap. My original speakers are fine but I'm considering buying replacements while they're still available. It's kind of an obsession - I have a bunch of parts stockpiled. You know, just in case.
I've read many too. IMHO, it boils down to the 2 ohm design of the OEM speaker and amp output for the doors. I think a lot of people replace the speaker with 4 ohm aftermarket speakers (like me) thinking it will be an improvement only to realize the sound is much worse in the bass range. The same phenomenon would be if someone tries to install a 8 ohm home speaker to a 4 ohm car stereo system.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:40 am

b3freak wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:22 am
wyovino wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:06 am I've read more than a few posts from people who have upgraded the door speakers only to be really disappointed. Thanks for pointing out that the OEM ones are still available and relatively cheap. My original speakers are fine but I'm considering buying replacements while they're still available. It's kind of an obsession - I have a bunch of parts stockpiled. You know, just in case.
I've read many too. IMHO, it boils down to the 2 ohm design of the OEM speaker and amp output for the doors. I think a lot of people replace the speaker with 4 ohm aftermarket speakers (like me) thinking it will be an improvement only to realize the sound is much worse in the bass range. The same phenomenon would be if someone tries to install a 8 ohm home speaker to a 4 ohm car stereo system.
After all you all know...
you-know-its-ejjv69.jpg
you-know-its-ejjv69.jpg (45.1 KiB) Viewed 2536 times
Never could understand why she was singing about a fish...
Never gonna make you cry...

B3DAWG

Re: Got me some nice new shoes!

Post by B3DAWG » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:08 am

Been looking for a good set of Porsche OEM 18" Turbo Twists to fit my car. While I've enjoyed the 19" Vossen wheels, I always loved the look of the 18" Porsche 993 turbo twists. In comparison, the handling is much better on the 18" twists... that is, the steering is noticeably lighter. I can't really tell if the ride is any better with 18" over the 19". Seems about the same to me. Personally, I like the turbo twist look better over the Vossens. The Vossens have a more aggressive stance. (11" on the rears) The fronts are 8.5 wide too which meant I had to purchase new tires with a lower profile to minimize scrubbing. I also had to replace the fender well liner. The previous owner obviously didn't care about the scrubbing. Over time, it burned a hole in the fender liner. Once I got the ride tires, the Vossen wheels performed great. Anyway, here is the picture.

Cheers 996 brothas! (and one 991 brotha too) :lol:
IMG_2661.jpg
IMG_2660.jpg
Last edited by B3DAWG on Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:24 am

b3freak wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:08 am Been looking for a good set of Porsche OEM 18" Turbo Twists to fit my car. While I've enjoyed the 19" Vossen wheels, I always loved the look of the 18" Porsche 993 turbo twists. In comparison, the handling is much better on the 18" twists... that is, the steering is noticeably lighter. I can't really tell if the ride is any better with 18" over the 19". Seems about the same to me. Personally, I like the turbo twist look better over the Vossens. The Vossens have a more aggressive stance. (11" on the rears) The fronts are 8.5 wide too which meant I had to purchase new tires with a lower profile to minimize scrubbing. I also had to replace the fender well liner. The previous owner obviously didn't car about the scrubbing. Over time, it burned a hole in the fender liner. Once I got the ride tires, the Vossen wheels performed great. Anyway, here is the picture.

Nice...Very nice!

Btw you did take the hose out of the front fender before driving off...Right?? I didn't see anything on the news about a gas station fire so my guess is you did. Just checking.
Never gonna make you cry...

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:40 am

32wildbilly wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:24 am
b3freak wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:08 am Been looking for a good set of Porsche OEM 18" Turbo Twists to fit my car. While I've enjoyed the 19" Vossen wheels, I always loved the look of the 18" Porsche 993 turbo twists. In comparison, the handling is much better on the 18" twists... that is, the steering is noticeably lighter. I can't really tell if the ride is any better with 18" over the 19". Seems about the same to me. Personally, I like the turbo twist look better over the Vossens. The Vossens have a more aggressive stance. (11" on the rears) The fronts are 8.5 wide too which meant I had to purchase new tires with a lower profile to minimize scrubbing. I also had to replace the fender well liner. The previous owner obviously didn't car about the scrubbing. Over time, it burned a hole in the fender liner. Once I got the ride tires, the Vossen wheels performed great. Anyway, here is the picture.

Nice...Very nice!

Btw you did take the hose out of the front fender before driving off...Right?? I didn't see anything on the news about a gas station fire so my guess is you did. Just checking.
Dude, I almost did that once. Was trying to carry a conversation with my wife. Jumped in the car and almost drove off with the gas nozzle still in the car. (wasn't the 996) The only way I knew it was still in the car was when I went to check my side mirrors before driving off. I saw the nozzle and man, I think my heart fell in my stomach. Close call! My wife, of course, took the perfect opportunity to give me a lecture on how dangerous that could have been for all of us... The diatribe started we us being burned to death covered with gasoline, screaming in agony while people video recorded us for their YouTube channels. On and on she went. hahaha

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:55 am

Sorry b3, I'm not sold on the color of the wheels. I picked up a set of Carrera IIs in a similar color and have just never been happy with it on our black car :(

My first issues is that I don't really care for the "murdered" look on a black car to begin with and this color kinda goes that route for me.

The other issue is that the color profile is just wrong. It's not black to blend in with the body, but it's also close enough to the black that they don't stand out either.

Looks like a good job was done on them though. Taken by themselves they look nice.

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:15 am

gnat wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:55 am Sorry b3, I'm not sold on the color of the wheels. I picked up a set of Carrera IIs in a similar color and have just never been happy with it on our black car :(

My first issues is that I don't really care for the "murdered" look on a black car to begin with and this color kinda goes that route for me.

The other issue is that the color profile is just wrong. It's not black to blend in with the body, but it's also close enough to the black that they don't stand out either.

Looks like a good job was done on them though. Taken by themselves they look nice.
Thanks Gnat! I appreciate your opinion. I honestly wasn't sold on darker wheels either. I always like the standard silver colored wheels, but when I bought the car with the black Vossens, I kinda warmed up to the idea. I almost bought some silver 993 turbo twists in Atlanta for $500, but passed on the deal because of other $$$ priorities at the time. When I met the owner of the current 993 wheels, he explained that he paid to have them professionally refinished and powder coated. After seeing them in person and seeing some pictures of Schnelly's wheels, I wanted to try them out on the car. I know it's not for everyone, I get it. It's like putting camouflage seat covers on nice leather. To each his own! lol :D

p.s. They do match with the rubber weather seal around the windows. hehehe

808Bill
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by 808Bill » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:01 am

I'm leaning towards bronze or even gold (matches the Carrera Emblem) just to be different. I keep flip flopping and will probably do nothing! :lol:
FSI-R40

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:21 am

To make the black wheels work, you need to dark tint your windows.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver