Objects in mirror may not be as shaky as they appear

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Objects in mirror may not be as shaky as they appear

Post by gnat » Mon May 11, 2020 12:48 pm

So we've had an issue with our wing mirrors for awhile were they would sometimes shake to the point of being useless and distracting. Have poked and prodded at the mirror and housing, but everything was solid. A few times when it's been in the shop I've asked them to take a look, but didn't want to go as far as disassembling unless they knew what it was. It finally got to the point where they were pretty much always shaking, so on it's latest trip to the shop I told them to just find the issue and fix it.

So they pulled the mirrors apart and couldn't figure out what the issue was, everything was solid inside with no signs of wear. Then it became obvious when they picked the mirror up to reinstall it:
MVIMG_20200506_173542.jpg
MVIMG_20200506_173542.jpg (294.16 KiB) Viewed 1216 times
The glass was delaminating from the frame it was attached to. Probably wasn't gonna be much longer until it just fell out :shock:

So if your wing mirrors are shaking but everything feels solid, check the glass itself.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: Objects in mirror may not be as shaky as they appear

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon May 11, 2020 1:43 pm

gnat wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:48 pm So we've had an issue with our wing mirrors for awhile were they would sometimes shake to the point of being useless and distracting. Have poked and prodded at the mirror and housing, but everything was solid. A few times when it's been in the shop I've asked them to take a look, but didn't want to go as far as disassembling unless they knew what it was. It finally got to the point where they were pretty much always shaking, so on it's latest trip to the shop I told them to just find the issue and fix it.

So they pulled the mirrors apart and couldn't figure out what the issue was, everything was solid inside with no signs of wear. Then it became obvious when they picked the mirror up to reinstall it:

The glass was delaminating from the frame it was attached to. Probably wasn't gonna be much longer until it just fell out :shock:

So if your wing mirrors are shaking but everything feels solid, check the glass itself.
Can that be reattached or is it going to cost you an arm and leg?
Never gonna make you cry...

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon May 11, 2020 1:49 pm

Looks like a job for the black 3M glass/window goop...

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon May 11, 2020 2:04 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:43 pm
gnat wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:48 pm So we've had an issue with our wing mirrors for awhile were they would sometimes shake to the point of being useless and distracting. Have poked and prodded at the mirror and housing, but everything was solid. A few times when it's been in the shop I've asked them to take a look, but didn't want to go as far as disassembling unless they knew what it was. It finally got to the point where they were pretty much always shaking, so on it's latest trip to the shop I told them to just find the issue and fix it.

Can that be reattached or is it going to cost you an arm and leg?
Apparently there are two versions of the mirror and somehow we ended up with the cheaper version. I forget the price, but the expensive version was like $340 each.

Gluing may have worked, but I had them replaced. There are certainly glues that could do the job, but in my experience shops rarely have the correct stuff and just use an all purpose glue instead. That then fails in a few months to a year after the car has sat outside in the elements for a year.

I'm more irritated about the lug bolts that had to be replaced (every last one was turning to powder on the backs where they were against the wheel :o) as he didn't say anything until after the fact and charged me almost double for them than I could have gotten them through Suncoast :x

The fresh set of PS2s and checking out the PSM and AWD systems is what really ran the bill up though...