Death by Engine Lid

DBJoe996
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Death by Engine Lid

Post by DBJoe996 » Sat May 23, 2020 10:06 am

So, checking the oil with the dipstick and the damn engine lid starts to drop quickly. Won't stay up. I replaced the strut/shock in 2013, now have to do it again. OEM Porsche $67 from AutoAtlanta. Dang, well hopefully it will last another 7 years. Anybody else have a history on the gas strut/shock on the engine lid? I also already did the frunk struts because when the front lid drops it will kill you. :roll: :o :o :o
You know what is weird? I looked up my old invoice and it was 5/3/13. Damn near 7 years to the day. Go figure.....
Last edited by DBJoe996 on Sun May 24, 2020 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: Death by Engine Lid

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat May 23, 2020 10:35 am

DBJoe996 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:06 am So, checking the oil with the dipstick and the damn engine lid starts to drop quickly. Won't stay up. I replaced the strut/shock in 2013, now have to do it again. OEM Porsche $67 from AutoAtlanta. Dang, well hopefully it will last another 7 years. Anybody else have a history on the gas strut/shock on the engine lid? I also already did the frunk struts because when the front lid drops it will kill you. :roll: :o :o :o
Shortly after I bought mine in 2014 I noticed the engine hood struts were getting weak. Figured I would take care of them later. Not long after that the water pump shot craps and I had my Indi do the work. When I picked the car up he told me the struts were shot. I asked how he found out...yep got clocked in the back of the head! That winter when hooking up the battery charger I noticed the trunk lid drifting down so I replaced them on both lids. Not OEM and I think I got them from Warehouse 33 for not near $67. They have worked well so far. I still keep one eye on the lids when my head is in the danger zone!
P.S. I fear the engine hood more because of the weight. True the frunk lid has more travel to gain more momentum, but hell that engine hood is HEAVY!

I believe these are the ones I installed:
https://www.warehouse33auto.com/STABILU ... 511-551-01
Never gonna make you cry...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Sat May 23, 2020 11:22 am

The frunk latch got me good right at the soft spot at the base of the skull :x

The engine lid has never done that to me, but I always replace it's strut with the frunk.

I second Warehouse33. That where I got my last set for a fraction of what the Porsche parts cost.

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Sun May 24, 2020 4:39 pm

I have heard that the struts are supposed to raise the hood kid for you once you start it in motion. Obviously mine don’t do that, so I’m guessing I should replace mine. Looks easy enough.

In the trip back when I bought the car I let the frunk lid hit me in the head. Little birdies chirping.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Sun May 24, 2020 5:12 pm

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:39 pm I have heard that the struts are supposed to raise the hood kid for you once you start it in motion. Obviously mine don’t do that, so I’m guessing I should replace mine. Looks easy enough.

In the trip back when I bought the car I let the frunk lid hit me in the head. Little birdies chirping.
Ours has never done that, even when first delivered. The close you get to full open, however, the more assist you'll notice from them though. To the point of being "automatic" for the last few inches.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sun May 24, 2020 6:01 pm

gnat wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 5:12 pm
OceanBlue2000 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:39 pm I have heard that the struts are supposed to raise the hood kid for you once you start it in motion. Obviously mine don’t do that, so I’m guessing I should replace mine. Looks easy enough.

Ours has never done that, even when first delivered. The close you get to full open, however, the more assist you'll notice from them though. To the point of being "automatic" for the last few inches.
Mine won't pull the trunk lid up either even with new struts. It does assist the opening and will firmly keep it up until pulled down. I got clocked in the noggin years ago by the hatchback lid on the 300ZX. That hurt as it is a huge heavy lid! I know...I know the explains a lot about me now.

Thus anytime my head is under a hood one eye is watching the hood.

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:59 am

Engine cover is fine - but the front trunk will whap me in the skull on a warm day. Of course, I haven't fixed it yet...

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

DBJoe996
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by DBJoe996 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:07 am

Replaced my strut/shock for the engine lid last evening. Took all of 5 minutes. Good to go and works like a charm. Nice to have it working right...again.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:12 am

DBJoe996 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:07 am Replaced my strut/shock for the engine lid last evening. Took all of 5 minutes. Good to go and works like a charm. Nice to have it working right...again.
Still keep one eye on it when head is in the danger zone...

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:17 am

Question: I keep seeing people talk about engine lid "strut". Mine has two struts. Is it just understood that strut is being used to indicate two struts or what?