Chewed up Bolt Found in Oil Pan

texcwa
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Chewed up Bolt Found in Oil Pan

Post by texcwa » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:27 pm

Yes, this is a thread I started in "that other forum" but wanted to give an update and get some advise. In short for those that did not read my other thread, I found a chewed up bolt with a small chunk of aluminum in my oil sump pan during an Oil Change. Below is one pic of finding but I have many more if someone would like to see in order to assist in an opinion. It was the opinion of many that this was a non load bearing screw (due to the size and markings on head) and many believed it was accidentally dropped in during some previous maintenance work. The only maintenance work that has been performed is: IMS, RMS, 60K service with water pump replacement. The AOS has not been replaced and I have all receipts of all work performed on this car from the date of original purchase in 2004.

After getting more than 100 replies in that thread and talking with my Indy, I decided to do my best due diligent s including filter cut open, oil analysis and using a endoscope through bottom of motor to see if anything else alarming showed up. All came back clean. At this point I had two choices: 1. take out motor and have it split so as to check for damage and where this bolt came from at a cost of about 8-10k $ plus costs for damage if found. 2. Button up motor, fill, start and listen. In addition, perform a filter split and Oil analysis at 500 miles.

I chose the second since in my mind, the cost of the split was already pushing the cost of the car plus even if I decided to repair, the worst case would be that I could cause additional damage that may cause me to lose my core, so I gambled. It runs as quite and smooth as ever. I did do the filter split and Oil analysis at 500 miles, both were clean. I now have put over 2k miles on it since the indecent. I will be performing another oil change and dropping the pan at 3k miles. There is no evidence at this time that anything is bad but I still have it in the back of my mind every time I drive the car (kinda like that IMS feeling before I changed it).

My question is, what else could I do (without splitting the case) to get a better feeling about the status/condition of my motor and if unseen damage has occurred. Again, there is allot more information in my other thread (Titled the same) or would be happy to give you more if you have any clues as to what happened.

Thanks all and look forward to this new forum.
2004, C2, Manual, Atlas Grey w Graphite Gray Interior, Sport Shift, Sport Seats, Aluminum package, Bose Premium, LNE, Fisters, 19" Kinesis F110, PCA Member

texcwa
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: Chewed up Bolt Found in Oil Pan

Post by texcwa » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:28 pm

Forgot to add photo
Attachments
IMAG1229-2.jpg
IMAG1229-2.jpg (321.57 KiB) Viewed 1216 times
2004, C2, Manual, Atlas Grey w Graphite Gray Interior, Sport Shift, Sport Seats, Aluminum package, Bose Premium, LNE, Fisters, 19" Kinesis F110, PCA Member