New Jake video series Focus on: IMS Bearing failure

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: New Jake video series Focus on: IMS Bearing failure

Post by B3DAWG » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:23 am

gnat wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:25 am
32wildbilly wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:19 am There is a (The) Solution to this problem...
Yeah and the dual version was released like 3 months after Goldie was pulled :x

Was all set to install the Solution and my shop had it on hand, but then they found it was a dual row bearing. Now I'm approaching the age boundary for the replacement and have to decide if I really want to drop the transmission again to replace what I expect is another perfectly good bearing. I really wish I had never swapped the bearing to begin with :(
During our recordings Jake and I have lots of discussions over the current types of engine failures that Flat 6 sees on a regular basis. Here's the deal, while he always felt the dual row bearing was much better than the 6204 single row, he says they're seeing more and more engines with dual bearing failures now that the bearing is 20 years old and many felt it should be left alone.
Last edited by B3DAWG on Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:27 am

b3freak wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:23 am

Was all set to install the Solution and my shop had it on hand, but then they found it was a dual row bearing. Now I'm approaching the age boundary for the replacement and have to decide if I really want to drop the transmission again to replace what I expect is another perfectly good bearing. I really wish I had never swapped the bearing to begin with :(
During our recordings Jake and I have lots of discussions over the current types of engine failures that Flat 6 sees on the a regular basis. Here's the deal, while he always felt the dual row bearing was much better than the 6204 single row, he says they're seeing more and more engines with dual bearing failures now that the bearing is 20 years old and many felt it should be left alone.
The Solution is the answer. Can you hear me now? Is this thing on...?
Never gonna make you cry...

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:11 am

b3freak wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:23 am

During our recordings Jake and I have lots of discussions over the current types of engine failures that Flat 6 sees on a regular basis. Here's the deal, while he always felt the dual row bearing was much better than the 6204 single row, he says they're seeing more and more engines with dual bearing failures now that the bearing is 20 years old and many felt it should be left alone.

Yeah I remember in our class he said it's not that they don't fail - it's that they take longer to fail.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

JohnIreland

Post by JohnIreland » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:56 pm

The guy with the 29k failure was as predictable as day and night. More risk than if he had 200k on his bearing. I think if you watch any of Jake's videos, you would know that this particular bearing was going to fail...and soon. Low mileage combined with oil contamination from just sitting, began eating at the bearing seals years ago. All it took was someone to start putting time and miles on the engine to push it to fail.

If/when I find myself facing the replacement (because of time or miles) of the LN dual row retrofit, I'd be crazy not to replace it with the Solution. Same if I decided to replace an original bearing. The Solution is the design Porsche should used to begin with. By that time I might have over 150k miles on my engine and it might make sense to rebuild it.

That is the area of Jake's work that interests me now. I have no interest in a 4 liter motor...or a 3.8 or 3.6. I love the characteristics of the 3.4 and so I would want to rebuild mine, and get the best job for the least money. Rod and main bearings, pistons and rings, rod bolts, chains and tensioners, maybe new cams. Polish the crank, check and balance the rods...and put it all back together. And I don't want to ship the car to Georgia...I want the work done by my chosen local wrench. That is where Jakes knowledge now interests me...what products he offers for when its time to rebuild the engine.

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:43 pm

best-selling author, occasional Gitmo AirBNB guest, and internationally-renowned automotive fashion consultant John Ireland wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:56 pm That is the area of Jake's work that interests me now. I have no interest in a 4 liter motor...or a 3.8 or 3.6. I love the characteristics of the 3.4 and so I would want to rebuild mine, and get the best job for the least money. Rod and main bearings, pistons and rings, rod bolts, chains and tensioners, maybe new cams. Polish the crank, check and balance the rods...and put it all back together. And I don't want to ship the car to Georgia...I want the work done by my chosen local wrench. That is where Jakes knowledge now interests me...what products he offers for when its time to rebuild the engine.
The problem you're going to encounter is cylinder bore scoring. If the engine is "rebuild" to the level of Flat 6 quality, the block is sent off for reboring and you can't retain the 3.4L displacement. Of course, if the cylinders are in good health, then you can just retain the lokasil 3.4L bores, but if I was going to spend the money on a rebuild, I'd have proven nikasil treated cylinders and move up to at least 3.8L. You should watch Jake Raby's series on bore scoring, especially Part 4 and Part 5.

B3DAWG

Re: Welcome to the operating table!

Post by B3DAWG » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:46 pm

Premiering tomorrow.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:10 pm

best-selling author, occasional Gitmo AirBNB guest, and internationally-renowned automotive fashion consultant John Ireland wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:56 pm
That is the area of Jake's work that interests me now. I have no interest in a 4 liter motor...or a 3.8 or 3.6. I love the characteristics of the 3.4 and so I would want to rebuild mine, and get the best job for the least money. Rod and main bearings, pistons and rings, rod bolts, chains and tensioners, maybe new cams. Polish the crank, check and balance the rods...and put it all back together. And I don't want to ship the car to Georgia...I want the work done by my chosen local wrench. That is where Jakes knowledge now interests me...what products he offers for when its time to rebuild the engine.
There are few, if any, local wrenches that can hold a candle to Jake. The guy is The Guy. Going to a 3.6 or even a 3.8 from the 3.4 would not be disappointing. Something will have to be done with the cylinders, if for nothing else the ovaling issue. New rings will not be happy in an oval cylinder. Get Nickies and sleep better at night...trust me. You will be hard pressed to find a shop that does the work that FSI does. Am I a fanboi? Yes...yes I am. An educated, experienced and rational fan boi. FSI earned my respect and support due to their professionalism, process, people and results. If/when the time comes for you think long and hard about your decision...
Never gonna make you cry...

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:29 pm

You know best-selling author, occasional Gitmo AirBNB guest, and internationally-renowned automotive fashion consultant John Ireland is an experienced 996 buyer because he has had his for about a week now and he's already discussing his rebuild options :lol:
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

B3DAWG

Re: For Pete's Sake!

Post by B3DAWG » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:05 am

Hey guys!

The interview with Pete Sayeski is planned to go live on YouTube Friday 28th at 1PM ET.

For those not aware, Pete is the original owner of a 2003 Porsche 996 that experienced IMS bearing failure.

He did everything by factory guidelines for servicing and maintaining the car and was never made aware of the IMS bearing problem and subsequent class action settlement.

We're calling the video "For Pete's Sake". I think you'll enjoy hearing his first hand experience with this 996.

Here is the link for the Premiere:

Renn Meister

Post by Renn Meister » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:51 pm

best-selling author, occasional Gitmo AirBNB guest, and internationally-renowned automotive fashion consultant John Ireland wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:56 pm The guy with the 29k failure was as predictable as day and night. More risk than if he had 200k on his bearing. I think if you watch any of Jake's videos, you would know that this particular bearing was going to fail...and soon. Low mileage combined with oil contamination from just sitting, began eating at the bearing seals years ago. All it took was someone to start putting time and miles on the engine to push it to fail.

If/when I find myself facing the replacement (because of time or miles) of the LN dual row retrofit, I'd be crazy not to replace it with the Solution. Same if I decided to replace an original bearing. The Solution is the design Porsche should used to begin with. By that time I might have over 150k miles on my engine and it might make sense to rebuild it.

I can keep the engine as a 3.4, but it won't be any "cheaper" than my 3.6 Stage 1, Street Performer, it will actually be more expensive as it is a custom order. I typically only build these for Spec 996 guys, as the engine had to remain stock for the rule book. The best job for the least money isn't found here. I offer you the best value for the long term owner of these cars. Value and cost are not equals.
Rod and main bearings, pistons and rings, rod bolts, chains and tensioners, maybe new cams. Polish the crank, check and balance the rods...and put it all back together.
That's not what I do... I replace all of the items on my list, in all cases. I throw away the good parts that I just don't like, of they are weak, or I know they will fail before the rest of my internals wear out. I replace good parts, and bad parts, equally. This is the "Flat 6 Difference"