New Jake video series Focus on: IMS Bearing failure

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

New Jake video series Focus on: IMS Bearing failure

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:54 am

Last edited by 32wildbilly on Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never gonna make you cry...

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Re: New Jake video series Focus on: IMS Bearing failure

Post by FRUNKenstein » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:12 pm

Jeez, they misspelled "group".
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:35 pm

FRUNKenstein wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:12 pm Jeez, they misspelled "group".
Das ist der richtige Weg, mein Freund.

"Sign ze papers old man!"
"I cannot sign the papers"
Vhy vill you not sign de paapers?"
"Because you have broken all my fingers!"

(sorry the German brought up an old flashback...)

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:20 pm

Thanks for posting these links Bill.

People have been asking Jake to produce something a little more detailed on the IMS bearing problem. What better way than with an actual engine that just experience IMS bearing failure?

I'm one of the people that directed him to that car that was listed on PCA. I called him and he said he already knew the owner because he had contacted him a year earlier about reconstructing the engine. The Porsche dealership had already confirmed engine death by way of bearing failure. Since the owner bought it new from the dealership and only had them regularly service it, he never expected catastrophic engine failure at 29,000 miles and admittedly unaware of the IMS bearing problem. Before calling Flat 6, the owner tried to appeal to PCNA for the full repair or partial compensation, but they declined on both. Knowing what it would cost to rebuild the motor, he decided to sell it as a roller. Jake decided to make it his personal guinea pig to show what happens to an engine under this amount of trauma

He filmed the first three videos himself with his own cameras, but I've helped him with editing. In a couple of weeks I'm heading to his shop to direct the engine disassembly which he says is more involved and needs my help.

Hope you'll spread the word. Thank you!
Last edited by B3DAWG on Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:00 am

808Bill
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by 808Bill » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:10 am

b3freak wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:20 pm Thanks for posting these links Bill.

People have been asking Jake to produce something a little more detailed on the IMS bearing problem. What better way than with an actual engine that just experience IMS bearing failure?

I'm one of the people that directed him to that car that was listed on PCA. I called him and he said he already knew the owner because he had contacted him a year earlier about reconstructing the engine. The Porsche dealership had already confirmed engine death by way of bearing failure. Since the owner bought it new from the dealership and only had them regularly service it, he never expect catastrophic engine failure at 29,000 miles and admitted wasn't aware of the IMS bearing problem. Before calling Flat 6, the owner tried to appeal to PCNA for the full repair or partial compensation, but they declined on both. Knowing what it would cost to rebuild the motor, he decided to sell it as a roller. Jake decided to make it his personal guinea pig to show what happen to an engine under this amount of trauma

His been filming the first three himself with his own cameras, but I've helped him with editing. In a couple of weeks I'm heading to his shop to direct the engine disassembly which is more involved and needs my help.

I'm dyeing to know what he paid for it!
FSI-R40

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:17 am

808Bill wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:10 am
b3freak wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:20 pm Thanks for posting these links Bill.

I'm one of the people that directed him to that car that was listed on PCA. I called him and he said he already knew the owner because he had contacted him a year earlier about reconstructing the engine. The Porsche dealership had already confirmed engine death by way of bearing failure. Since the owner bought it new from the dealership and only had them regularly service it, he never expect catastrophic engine failure at 29,000 miles and admitted wasn't aware of the IMS bearing problem. Before calling Flat 6, the owner tried to appeal to PCNA for the full repair or partial compensation, but they declined on both. Knowing what it would cost to rebuild the motor, he decided to sell it as a roller. Jake decided to make it his personal guinea pig to show what happen to an engine under this amount of trauma

His been filming the first three himself with his own cameras, but I've helped him with editing. In a couple of weeks I'm heading to his shop to direct the engine disassembly which is more involved and needs my help.

I believe he paid for the car close to the price the owner was asking on PCA classifieds. But regarding the R40 Flat 6 reconstruction on the engine? I have no clue there... that's one powerful, unique engine build exclusive to Flat 6 Innovations. I will tell you Jake sent me a note and said when the video became public on YouTube, he already had several people call him and make offers for the car with the R40 engine north of $40,000. He's telling everyone to just place a bid on the BaT auction.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:26 am

b3freak wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:17 am
808Bill wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:10 am

I believe he paid for the car close to the price the owner was asking on PCA classifieds. But regarding the R40 Flat 6 reconstruction on the engine? I have no clue there... that's one powerful, unique engine build exclusive to Flat 6 Innovations. I will tell you Jake sent me a note and said when the video became public on YouTube, he already had several people call him and make offers for the car with the R40 engine north of $40,000. He's telling everyone to just place a bid on the BaT auction.
At $40,000 you would probably be getting the car almost for free.

808Bill
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by 808Bill » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:56 am

32wildbilly wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:26 am
b3freak wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:17 am

At $40,000 you would probably be getting the car almost for free.
That's what they where hoping for!
FSI-R40

B3DAWG

Re: Part 4 will be released today at 1PM ET

Post by B3DAWG » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:59 am

Part 4 will be released today!