New Jake video series Focus on: IMS Bearing failure

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: New Jake video series Focus on: IMS Bearing failure

Post by B3DAWG » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:19 pm

Hey Guys... the discussion continues with Pete. Don't wanna miss it!

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:54 pm

b3freak wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:19 pm Hey Guys... the discussion continues with Pete. Don't wanna miss it!

Thanks b3. I updated Billy's first post to include all the videos to date.

JohnIreland

Post by JohnIreland » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:48 pm

With all respect, I sometimes I get the feeling that Jake is the "Doc Martin" of Porsches.

3 years and one month before I bought my car, the IMS was changed to the LN Dual Row Retrofit. It has driven 19,000 miles since then. The Retrofit is superior in design to the original bearing, so much so that Porsche knocked it off for their own replacement bearing in 2017. Life has no guarantees, but I going to gamble that if the engine had debris in it, a problem would have shown up by now. I'm also going to gamble that if the shop that installed the bearing didn't know what they were doing, that a problem in that area would have also shown up by now. If original bearings have lasted as long as 20+ years and approaching 200,000 miles, I'm going to gamble that the better designed and made replacement should do at least as well.

If bad luck strikes and it blows up, well until then I am having a great time. Porsche Motorsports told the world not to put this engine on the track in its stock configuration. I see no reason to doubt their advice. But that doesn't mean babying it and being afraid to put your foot in it. These are road cars, designed to eat roads.

Jake's IMS Solution is what Porsche should have done to begin with. I look forward to living long enough to rebuild my motor, and at that time I'll have the Solution installed. In the meantime I will have fun and not worry about.

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:47 am

best-selling author, occasional Gitmo AirBNB guest, and internationally-renowned automotive fashion consultant John Ireland wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:48 pm With all respect, I sometimes I get the feeling that Jake is the "Doc Martin" of Porsches.

3 years and one month before I bought my car, the IMS was changed to the LN Dual Row Retrofit. It has driven 19,000 miles since then. The Retrofit is superior in design to the original bearing, so much so that Porsche knocked it off for their own replacement bearing in 2017. Life has no guarantees, but I going to gamble that if the engine had debris in it, a problem would have shown up by now. I'm also going to gamble that if the shop that installed the bearing didn't know what they were doing, that a problem in that area would have also shown up by now. If original bearings have lasted as long as 20+ years and approaching 200,000 miles, I'm going to gamble that the better designed and made replacement should do at least as well.

If bad luck strikes and it blows up, well until then I am having a great time. Porsche Motorsports told the world not to put this engine on the track in its stock configuration. I see no reason to doubt their advice. But that doesn't mean babying it and being afraid to put your foot in it. These are road cars, designed to eat roads.

Jake's IMS Solution is what Porsche should have done to begin with. I look forward to living long enough to rebuild my motor, and at that time I'll have the Solution installed. In the meantime I will have fun and not worry about.
That's good to know a solid LN retrofit bearing was installed proactively. Just remember, if you prefer to take a preventative stance on changing the bearing, then it's time in service and miles. LN recommends you change out retrofit bearings every 6 years or 75,000 miles.

Optionman1

Post by Optionman1 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:12 am

"LN recommends you change out retrofit bearings every 2 years or 25,000 miles" ???? Please tell me that's a typo or your attempt at humor.....I'm at 18 months and 19,000 miles on my LN retrofit bearing.

Marty

EDIT: i see you changed it, moving on.....
2003 4S 6mt Arctic Silver/Metropol Blue
2009 4S PDK Meteor Grey/Black FSI 4.0 Stage II

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:56 am

Optionman1 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:12 am "LN recommends you change out retrofit bearings every 2 years or 25,000 miles" ???? Please tell me that's a typo or your attempt at humor.....I'm at 18 months and 19,000 miles on my LN retrofit bearing.

Marty

EDIT: i see you changed it, moving on.....
My bad... Covid must be still screwing with my brain. That was the warranty. Whoosh... sorry about that.

JohnIreland

Post by JohnIreland » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:41 pm

Just to restate the obvious...and to make sure my remarks are not construed as negative towards Jake...many many many of us are enjoying our cars with great confidence because of the research and parts that Jake created. I understand his proprietary interest in not seeing his developments used with less then the procedural integrity he designed into them.

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:00 pm

best-selling author, occasional Gitmo AirBNB guest, and internationally-renowned automotive fashion consultant John Ireland wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:41 pm Just to restate the obvious...and to make sure my remarks are not construed as negative towards Jake...many many many of us are enjoying our cars with great confidence because of the research and parts that Jake created. I understand his proprietary interest in not seeing his developments used with less then the procedural integrity he designed into them.
JI, Have you seen his most recent video on YouTube? He pretty much tells the whole story of how he got into creating retrofit products for the Porsches. I find it very fascinating.

808Bill
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by 808Bill » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:33 am

What's the latest on Pete's (Jakes) car?
FSI-R40