Anyone shipped a car lately?

theprf
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Anyone shipped a car lately?

Post by theprf » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:45 am

I'm thinking about adding another to my collection. Yes it's another 996. Since I can't go there and drive it back (damn COVID-19) looks like shipping will be the only choice.
I shipped a car about 10 years ago from AZ to MA and that's my total car shipping experience. I used a broker, who charged $200 to set it up and the driver got $1k in cash on delivery.

This latest bout of stupidity would be from SC to MA.

Anyone shipped a car lately? Which shipper did you use?

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: Anyone shipped a car lately?

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:22 am

theprf wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:45 am I'm thinking about adding another to my collection. Yes it's another 996. Since I can't go there and drive it back (damn COVID-19) looks like shipping will be the only choice.
I shipped a car about 10 years ago from AZ to MA and that's my total car shipping experience. I used a broker, who charged $200 to set it up and the driver got $1k in cash on delivery.

This latest bout of stupidity would be from SC to MA.

Anyone shipped a car lately? Which shipper did you use?
Last June I shipped my car by Reliable Carriers to FSI. Enclosed trailer. It was not cheap but the service was good. The return trip was also enclosed by a smaller outfit but still worked out very well. NE to Georgia and return. The return trip was a comparable cost to your 10 year ago costs. I don't recall their name as FSI lined them up. I dealt direct with Reliable Carriers and did not use a broker.
Never gonna make you cry...

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:43 pm

I shipped my X1/9 from San Francisco area to KC in May 2019. I’ve shipped a couple of others in the past few years. First, understand that as soon as you enter your contact info to get a bid, you will be called, texted and e-mailed for months. I got a voicemail just the other day asking if I still needed to ship a car. Anyhow, you can get an idea of how much it should cost (I’d say about $900) by snooping around anonymously on the internet. Any broker that shoots you a really low price will never get the car shipped at that price. You’ll wait forever, then end up agreeing to pay another $100 or $150 to entice a trucker to accept the load. I will look to see who I used and post it up here.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

theprf

Post by theprf » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:46 am

This has become more important as I seem to have acquired another 996 Turbo. Now I just have to get it here. It's lowered on PS9's and the present owner says there's only about 2-3 inches of clearance at the front lip. I'm expecting that an enclosed trailer will be needed... I don't think it will like the angles of a standard car carrier.
I've asked for a quote from Reliable Carriers via email.
Every other place wants my phone# which I am presently reluctant to give. Perhaps I'll get a "tracfone" for a throwaway phone number, which I did during my last real estate search.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:04 am

theprf wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:46 am This has become more important as I seem to have acquired another 996 Turbo. Now I just have to get it here. It's lowered on PS9's and the present owner says there's only about 2-3 inches of clearance at the front lip. I'm expecting that an enclosed trailer will be needed... I don't think it will like the angles of a standard car carrier.
I've asked for a quote from Reliable Carriers via email.
Every other place wants my phone# which I am presently reluctant to give. Perhaps I'll get a "tracfone" for a throwaway phone number, which I did during my last real estate search.
Yeah pretty bad when you have to get a burner phone, but I understand how persistent the brokers can be as per Frunk above.
Never gonna make you cry...

theprf

Post by theprf » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:02 pm

I found that Verizon can activate my old phone for $40/month on a prepaid plan and that's what I will do. Still waiting for the quote from Reliable Carriers.

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:23 pm

It used to be possible to create a burner - er, "unique" - number via Google Voice...forward to your cell phone until the car is shipped, and then relinquish the Google number.

I haven't used it since we went VOIP at work a couple of years back, so I don't know if that's still possible.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

Kalashnikov
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by Kalashnikov » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:56 pm

Buy a burner phone from Net 10 or Cricket... Dump the phone after car is shipped. Total expense about $30.

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:37 pm

Intercity lines is not cheap but they are great as well. Their truckers own their trucks.

I used a broker once and their knucklehead drivers damaged both of the rear control arms on my yellow car from improper hookup. Make sure you look underneath and give her a drive around the block before you sign for it. Once you sign for it all of the issues belong to you.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

JohnIreland

Post by JohnIreland » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:58 pm

I was quoted between $1100 and $1450 to ship from Arlington VA to Los Angeles. I just did a search on bing and several shippers popped up. Also the cars for sale on eBay have lots of shipping links. I'm guessing almost all the companies are contracting with the same bunch of independent contractors so looking for references or reviews is a must. Ask the seller to take lots of photos of the car as it goes on the trailer, and then email them to you so you can compare them to the car when it arrives.