What did you do to your 996TT Today?

turbodrummer
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Re: What did you do to your 996TT Today?

Post by turbodrummer » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:24 pm

Clutch accumulator, sharkwerks billet diverter valves, new CV boots up front, speed tech exhaust and BBS rims. Been a busy week
2001 911 Turbo
2014 Cayman S
2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

TheDeckMan
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by TheDeckMan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:46 am

Now that is a hell of a list of new things!

Took mine out for a 100 mile drive to stock up on some more whisky due to this extended winter drawing the supply dangerously low :shock:

996TT - GT2 Clone Build -RWD, UMW Tune, H&R RSS, Phenix Engineering Control Arms/LCA's, GT3 6 Pistons, SpeedTech 3" X-Pipe, Ported Headers, 997 GT3 Shifter, GT3 Buckets, GT2 Clutch/PP, GT2RS IC's, RSS Roll Bar, GT3 Brake Ducts, Joe Toth Aero/Ducts
997TT - Sport Chrono, LSD, UMW Tune, DSC, Phenix Engineering Toe Links & LCA Bushings, Tubi Race
Audi TT Track Car
Corrado SLC
Corrado SLC
MG Midget

fpb111
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by fpb111 » Mon May 07, 2018 4:42 pm

I changed the serpentine belt. There was no record of it being changed (28k mi 14 yrs).
We had a nice sunny day today so I put my new, very stiff, belt out in the sun to soften up a little and went back in the garage to pull the old one. I looked at the routing around the pulleys and thought how easy, ribbed to ribbed, smooth to smooth over this around that, I got this.
Out with the old and in with my nice warm, flexible new belt. Let’s see, around here over that one? No not there that is smooth to ribbed. Ok this way looks good, ribbed to ribbed, smooth to... no that only works if the belt is a Möbius strip. Hmm, ok ok I got it over this around that now it’s working, if I leave the power steering pulley out of the loop.
AARRG!
1/2 hour later I admitted defeat and went in to the manual, made a copy of the belt layout page and stuck it in front of me in the engine bay. And...look how easy ribbed to ribbed over this ...etc. Five minutes later I was hunting around for the loose airbox grommets that I knocked off, again! AARRGG!

It really is easy if your memory is longer than a minute or you make a picture of the belt before you remove it.

Found a pic that made it easier it shows routing like this:
1 water pump, 2 tensioner, 3 crank, 4 power steering, 5 idler below PS, 6 ac pulley, 7 alternator, crank the tensioner to full loose, 8 slide it over the idler below alternator.

5chn3ll
Site Admin

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon May 14, 2018 9:49 am

Serpentine belts are always a mindscrew...while the old one is on, it looks perfectly logical; as soon as the belt is off, it becomes one of the great mysteries of the universe.