Widowmaker Project (Building a Faux GT2)

TheDeckMan
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: Widowmaker Project (Building a Faux GT2)

Post by TheDeckMan » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:15 am

With the weekends heat wave putting a damper on doing insulation in the attic it seemed like the best thing would be to catch up with some organizing in the garage being that it tends to stay a nice cool 68-70°F during the summer. Saturday morning a fellow track junkie and TT owner stopped by to pick through some of my spare parts and so I could help him make up some fuel lines.

It is rare that you see a green TT with 200k miles and in such great condition, guess it is what you get when you work on restoring British cars for a living.

Out with the old and in with the new Fragola hose.

Not exactly stock with a big T4 series turbo and built motor :shock:

With that done and him heading out, I dug this old metal tool box out of storage to get it cleaned up to use as a hardware drawer. Being that I was still living for many things out of boxes from the move last year, trying to find hardware in any sort of timely manner was not working out well. The weekend proved to be mostly sorting hardware and putting parts/books/tools away.

Cleaned up and painted it does the job well, now just have to make up some labels.

All this hardware was in boxes and boxes prior to finding the new home in the hardware section.

So nice to move out of boxes

Last thing was to wrap up the GT2 wing install now that I could find hardware, just waiting on the new fan shroud to show up and to install the brake light.

Talk about blocking the rear visibility even without the gurney flap!
996TT - Widowmaker Project -RWD, UMW Tune, H&R RSS, Phenix Engineering Control Arms/LCA's, GT3 6 Pistons, SpeedTech 3" X-Pipe, Ported Headers, 997 GT3 Shifter, GT3 Buckets, GT2 Clutch/PP, GT2RS IC's, RSS Roll Bar, GT3 Brake Ducts, Joe Toth Aero/Ducts, Champion Thrust Arms
997TT - LSD, Chrono , UMW Tune, DSC, Phenix Engineering Toe Links & LCA Bushings, Tubi Race, 3" eRams, 964RS Engine Mounts
Audi TT Track Car
Corrado SLC
https://phenixengineering.com/

TheDeckMan

Post by TheDeckMan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:53 am

Where did I leave off....ah yes the 997 spark plug project. Saturday morning was a bright and early attempt to tackle the rest of the plugs to get the car back together to head out to the coast with the other half to have dinner with her family in the afternoon. After a quick breakfast and a couple cups of coffee, filled up my coffee cup and headed to the garage.

Coffee in hand I figured this was going to be a tough little battle getting the coils out and plugs without dropping the turbo on the drivers side.

First thing was to get the VNT actuators off, to do this you need a ball allen ~5" long, not having a socket one I took a regular 5mm allen and tossed into the vice, with a quick zip of the cut off wheel and using a 5mm socket I now had the driver needed.

You can just make out where to get the three socket head cap screws that hold the VNT on

With the VNT off I could now get to the front coil on the passenger side...Hmmm what is that safety wire??

So it turns out 4 out of 6 coil plugs were slightly broken and 2 where totally broken from someone thinking these coils were like 1.8t ones and clearly using a screw driver to pry against the coil packs. This was a major blow with three hours until wheels up. For the better part of 30 minutes I sat there thinking how I wanted to proceed. First attempt was to replace the connectors that were broken, but both are in such a spot that working one handed it is impossible to do with the the motor in the car.

The good news is that the safety wire method will work to get me until winter when I can dedicate a month to dropping the motor for coolant fittings, clutch, pinning the cams....and of course now fixing all the coil pack plugs some one butchered. The surprising thing about all of this was it was missed by the PPI, which this is a good lesson that a PPI does not always find everything.

The driver side coils are the hardest to get out, removal of the VNT and diverter are a must and then you can slide out the coil using some creative arm twisting. To remove the VNT you have to remove the heat shield off the hot side of the turbo so thus pulling the back section of the exhaust.

Putting the VNT back on this side will suck....I am already mentally preparing myself for this.

Now about 6 hours in on the job the plugs are changed and now needing to chase down some safety wire to keep everything in order for the next three months while chasing down some other parts for the motor drop it was time to head east. So the 996 was chosen for the trip.

We decided we were going to attempt to hit up one brewery on the way and Lord Hobo seemed like the perfect place to stop. Alas it turns out they are doing major renovations of their tap room so no can sales and only beer to taste would be from cans.

Sure does look to be a major renovation project!

So we continued on towards Gloucester to make it to dinner. The following morning we did a little walk down into town and along the beach.

And of course if you are going to visit Gloucester you have to stop by the Rhumb Line, as we got there it was the last half hour of the world cup, so things got crazy quick!

Jumping off back onto the road we headed west once again, where the overcast quickly gave away to a hot Sunday. Moving off RT2 onto the back roads we wandered to The Stone Cow Brewery. Which seemed like a good place to stop for a late lunch snack.

This old barn was absolutely awesome as a tap room, they had live music down in the tent, ice cream and BBQ! What more could you ask for.

Bottle wall...wonder if there was 99 bottles....

Grabbing a flight we sat and enjoyed some music in the shade of the tent. Personal favorite was the stout and the Kolsch. With some cans scored we headed out.

Proceeding west yet again the girlfriend wanted to stop at Honest Weight Brewery and so we did. Regretfully they do not have cans so a 16 oz growler was added to the cooler to take home.

With that weekend in the books, the 996 trucked along like a champ returning 26mpg's being rear wheel drive now. The GT2 wing did seem to lower it from the high of 28mpg's on the highway. Now to get back to the 997 to finish wrapping it up this week.
996TT - Widowmaker Project -RWD, UMW Tune, H&R RSS, Phenix Engineering Control Arms/LCA's, GT3 6 Pistons, SpeedTech 3" X-Pipe, Ported Headers, 997 GT3 Shifter, GT3 Buckets, GT2 Clutch/PP, GT2RS IC's, RSS Roll Bar, GT3 Brake Ducts, Joe Toth Aero/Ducts, Champion Thrust Arms
997TT - LSD, Chrono , UMW Tune, DSC, Phenix Engineering Toe Links & LCA Bushings, Tubi Race, 3" eRams, 964RS Engine Mounts
Audi TT Track Car
Corrado SLC

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:08 am

Looks like a better weekend than mine. I spread 69 bags of mulch.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

TheDeckMan

Post by TheDeckMan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:05 am

kcattorney wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:08 am Looks like a better weekend than mine. I spread 69 bags of mulch.
Ouch,

I would rather spread mulch than do spark plugs on the 997 again!
Audi TT Track Car
Corrado SLC

911MHawk

Post by 911MHawk » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:51 pm

Your place is looking great Noah and thanks for the plug write up, I never realized how much more time they take.

TheDeckMan

Post by TheDeckMan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:20 pm

911MHawk wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:51 pm Your place is looking great Noah and thanks for the plug write up, I never realized how much more time they take.
Thanks Mark! With some Do88 inlets I think it would be a bit easier to do, thinking those are on the winter list of mods with some new IC's.

How goes the track days?

The 996 is still more fun in my opinion ever after the couple upgrades to the 997, plus she is a much better looker ;)

Have not updated this in a while with all the different projects going on, ended up having a chance to make up some angle wedges to increase the angle on the GT2 wing as it does not have the adjustments that the factory one does. I made up a dozen so if others need some let me know. They are not drilled so you can drill them for what ever pattern the after market manufacturer used.

And since I like bargain projects, a local shop had this sitting dead after a jump starting went bad. 88k mile 9-3 Aero with the 2.8T, while I would have preferred a 6spd this $500 autotragic will do the trick for some winter beating.

Took all of 10 minutes to get power back to the ecu and test if there was anything else blown up. The steering lock module and alternator took the major damage. So looks like about $600 in parts and a few hours to fix up. The good news is that my 04 with 221k miles is the same color so I can rob things off it as needed to fix her up.

Shooting this weekend to do the GT2 bumper, ducting and radiator on the 996 to finish up that phase of the project.
Audi TT Track Car
Corrado SLC

TheDeckMan

Post by TheDeckMan » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:32 am

With what I thought was all the pieces I needed for the GT2 bumper setup on hand, it was time to jump in and finish the conversion. Some how I screwed up ordering hoses and ordered most of what I needed except the 2 that I really needed in order to do the center radiator.

Out with the old

After a couple tweaks to the mount bracket with an adjustable wrench to get the right angle the radiator was ready for mounting.

Spacing out the rebar is needed so some 10mm spacers would do the trick until I make up the actual mount plates later this week.

Once that was done it was time to test the bumper and make sure all aligned well

Next up was plan B with the coolant hoses 3-5 weeks out so I spend some time last night making some adapters to allow me to extend the hoses to their correct placement.

Next up tonight is to finish the ducting stand off spacers and to make up the re-bar spacers plates so Thursday can be spent putting it all back together.
Audi TT Track Car
Corrado SLC

TheDeckMan

Post by TheDeckMan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:32 am

Finished up the standoff for the duct and the bumper shock spacers. Looks like a good night to put the front all back together!

Audi TT Track Car
Corrado SLC

TheDeckMan

Post by TheDeckMan » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:23 am

Finally finished up the GT2 front aero this weekend and took her for a spin to work.

Next up motor drop and Evoms Inlets/Diff Install/welding coolant fittings.
Audi TT Track Car
Corrado SLC

TheDeckMan

Post by TheDeckMan » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:40 am

A little update, was able to meet up with Marcus who got a couple sets of Manthey/Ruf carbon street doors. The pair of doors allow everything including the airbags to be swapped over but at a weight savings of 80lbs total. Now I have to send these and the hood off for paint :shock:

Audi TT Track Car
Corrado SLC