Widowmaker Project (Building a Faux GT2)

TheDeckMan
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: Widowmaker Project (Building a Faux GT2)

Post by TheDeckMan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:27 pm

kcattorney wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:00 pm I spent 4 hours last night swapping the blower motor on my 955S (which should have taken less than an hour).
You are NOT helping my self-esteem.
Off to go buy a 12 pack of Torque Wrench :oops:

Ugh blower motors always blow to swap out unless it is a GMC truck, then like 5 minutes then you can enjoy that beer!

That Torque Wrench is very yummy! Enjoy!! Off to fill up my growlers of Brick & Feather's finest!
996TT - Widowmaker Project -RWD, UMW Tune, H&R RSS, Phenix Engineering Control Arms/LCA's, GT3 6 Pistons, SpeedTech 3" X-Pipe, Ported Headers, 997 GT3 Shifter, GT3 Buckets, GT2 Clutch/PP, GT2RS IC's, RSS Roll Bar, GT3 Brake Ducts, Joe Toth Aero/Ducts, Champion Thrust Arms
997TT - LSD, Chrono , UMW Tune, DSC, Phenix Engineering Toe Links & LCA Bushings, Tubi Race, 3" eRams, 964RS Engine Mounts
Audi TT Track Car
Corrado SLC
https://phenixengineering.com/

TheDeckMan

Post by TheDeckMan » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:46 pm

Body shop guy just gave me an update after he got back from hunting, paint is now on all the decklid parts, ready for wet sanding tomorrow. Getting closer to having this part of the project done. Next up is the bumper.

996TT - Widowmaker Project -RWD, UMW Tune, H&R RSS, Phenix Engineering Control Arms/LCA's, GT3 6 Pistons, SpeedTech 3" X-Pipe, Ported Headers, 997 GT3 Shifter, GT3 Buckets, GT2 Clutch/PP, GT2RS IC's, RSS Roll Bar, GT3 Brake Ducts, Joe Toth Aero/Ducts, Champion Thrust Arms
997TT - LSD, Chrono , UMW Tune, DSC, Phenix Engineering Toe Links & LCA Bushings, Tubi Race, 3" eRams, 964RS Engine Mounts
Audi TT Track Car
Corrado SLC

TheDeckMan

Post by TheDeckMan » Sun May 06, 2018 9:54 am

Got the decklid back from paint, tried to fit the GT2 bumper into the Saab without success so need to drop it off Monday for paint.

Thinking of painting the lip while I am at it just in case the feeling to use it arises.

Going to leave the thread certs in so I can run these carbon blades and or take them off whenever I want.
Audi TT Track Car
Corrado SLC

TheDeckMan

Post by TheDeckMan » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:41 pm

Well finally got the bumper back from paint and the rest of the cooling bits. Once I get some time to wrap up the 997’s little upgrade pack it will be time to wrap up the rest of the 996tt!
Attachments
6EBCCCE7-8561-4E9A-A3F7-08CD461DAF72.jpeg
Audi TT Track Car
Corrado SLC

TheDeckMan

Post by TheDeckMan » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:56 am

:shock:
Last edited by TheDeckMan on Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Audi TT Track Car
Corrado SLC

TheDeckMan

Post by TheDeckMan » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:21 am

TheDeckMan wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:56 am Well things ended up getting rolling last night on the 997 in an attempt to wrap up by the weekend to be able to focus on some house work. The front LCA bushing install complete and then turned attention to the exhaust and motor mounts. Suppose it would be a good time to do a set of spark plugs while in there, but those only have 12k miles so might just wait till winter when dropping the motor to do the coolant fittings.

Audi TT Track Car
Corrado SLC

TheDeckMan

Post by TheDeckMan » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:47 am

Well last night went semi reasonable with the new RSS mounts on the 997 going in without an issue. However getting the stock exhaust off was what do we say, an exercise in overwhelming fire power. First PITA was one of the turbo heat shield bolts that goes into the catch drains was replaced with a soft stainless steel button head cap screw. I mean who the hell does that?! Nothing to grab onto when it rounds out, resulting in having to weld a nut onto it to break it out.

Next task was to get the nuts off the turbo studs, so that resulted in having to break out the torches on the drivers side to remove the rounded nuts that someone must have hammered back on. While I am not an expert in torches my buddy who wrenches for a living did a surgical removal. After that was all done I was able to get the Tubi exhaust on and re-form one of the outlets that had gotten damaged in shipping.

Now just waiting to go and pick some new hardware up today for the turbo's and some fresh oxygen sensors and can finish up assembling it all back tonight in hopes of getting an alignment first thing in the morning.
Audi TT Track Car
Corrado SLC

TheDeckMan

Post by TheDeckMan » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:21 am

Made some good progress this weekend with the 996 getting the solid mounts changed out for some RSS ones. I was picking up some knock sensing with the solid mounts and decided with how well the RSS's were in the 997 that it was the best route to go.

After getting the Rennline ones out I noticed that they seemed a lot longer than the RSS mounts and the factory ones.

Factory 996/997 Turbo Mount

RSS Engine Mount

Rennline Mount

This explained why the air box was always a PITA to pull out and install on the 996 Turbo as the motor sits ~.300" lower.

RSS Mounts in and marked.

Next was to move onto getting the GT2 Decklid on....while I figured this would be an easy job, it turns out that I need to grab a couple other items for final fitment. The Tail Light Savers did not fit due to the thick paint on this deck lid, in hind sight I should have stripped it all the way down rather than sand and paint. So some grinding of the tail light savers will be in order once things are all fitted.

Decklid off

Initial test fit

Some little adjustments need to be made for the inner mounting tabs on the 3rd brake light as well as picking up a CF fan bracket to round it all off, tonight's task will be tapping the top holes as they are filled with a little too much paint.
Audi TT Track Car
Corrado SLC

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:33 am

Nice work! Thanks for the updates.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

TheDeckMan

Post by TheDeckMan » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:29 pm

kcattorney wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:33 am Nice work! Thanks for the updates.
:beer:
Audi TT Track Car
Corrado SLC