Replacing the MAF (mass airflow) sensor

sweet victory
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: Replacing the MAF (mass airflow) sensor

Post by sweet victory » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:42 pm

I had the same pair of pair of codes come up and go away. Figured the MAF is on its way out. Autozone is running a 20% of promo code FALL20, but this is the real kicker: they are offering a life time warranty on this Bosch MAF! $130.40 before taxes + life time warranty is a killer deal in my opinion.

https://www.autozone.com/engine-managem ... 0280218009

EPiK
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by EPiK » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:16 pm

my MAF just started throwing code again and I looked into this since RockAuto won't send me another under warranty, they are just refunding me when I send it back. This AutoZone special must have ended in October. Their new offer is THANKS20 and its $20 off $100.00 and free next day shipping. good thru 11/21.
1999 Carrera 2, factory ordered LSD, GT3 wannabe and daily driver
1988 944 NA/AT to MT/Turbo project.. future Outlaw
2003 G35 coupe 6mt GT35RS.. other daily driver
2013 Durango R/T package with a 6er

Astro
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by Astro » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:21 am

Just went thru this as well. CEL light came on twice over a few weeks and borrowed a friends durametric. Bought the tamper-proof T20 torx at Autozone(although had to go back after the first one didn't fit, apparently there are more than one style so I would suggest trying it for fit before you leave) and the MAF cleaner. Took all of 5 minutes to do. So far so good.
99 C2, 6 Speed, Artic Silver, Daily Driver

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:43 pm

Bummer. Currently $163 @ "The Zone," and I need a new MAF.
sweet victory wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:42 pm I had the same pair of pair of codes come up and go away. Figured the MAF is on its way out. Autozone is running a 20% of promo code FALL20, but this is the real kicker: they are offering a life time warranty on this Bosch MAF! $130.40 before taxes + life time warranty is a killer deal in my opinion.

https://www.autozone.com/engine-managem ... 0280218009

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:46 pm

For grins, I used the Bosch parts finder to generate a current list of Bosch parts for my '99.
1999.pdf
(1.11 MiB) Downloaded 223 times

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:49 pm

Interesting. Autozone has a Duralast (house-brand) MAF with a lifetime warranty for $77.

I may have to guinea pig this option - lifetime for $77 is a helluva deal.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:24 pm

Autozone MAF: $77, currently with a $20 mail-in rebate. Lifetime MAF warranty for 50 bucks: worth a try.

If you're in the need, the rebate form indicates that you have to buy the MAF before March 4, and the rebate form needs to be postmarked or uploaded by April 3.

Edit: Here's the rebate form: https://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs ... S/2359.pdf

The warranty is pretty straightforward:
If a part fails during the warranty period shown on your receipt ("LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY PERIOD" on my receipt), bring the part to an AutoZone store and you will receive a replacement or refund. Warranty excludes damage caused by misuse, abuse, other faulty parts, improper installation or off-road, commercial or marine use.

Their price on the Bosch MAF has gone way up - I'm guessing these are remanufactured Bosch units, but I'll keep you posted.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:19 pm

Update: Part is in-hand; I'll install it tomorrow morning.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:26 pm

YAAZMAFU (Which means "Yet another AutoZone MAF Update," and certainly wouldn't in any way mean "Yes, An AutoZone MAF's ABSOLUTELY F**KING USELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!"):

The AutoZone MAF is ABSOLUTELY F**KING USELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!

I offer the following as evidence:
1) It came mounted in a mass airflow housing. If you're not familiar with why this would present a problem, you can prolly stop reading now and not feel like you missed out on much.
2) The MAF sensor, when removed from the housing, is completely devoid of markings. It is _roughly_ the same shape as a Bosch part, but it has been completely sanitized.
3) The MAF sensor itself is keyed like the Bosch unit, which is nice - you can't install the Torx fasteners if the MAF is installed backwards. HOWEVER, the electrical connector is not keyed. Well, more specifically, it is over-keyed - it has the necessary slots to allow you to connect the Porsche MAF connector in either orientation, so you need to be paying attention. The Autozone part is also not physically compatible with the retaining clip on the MAF connector; if you were going to use the AutoZone MAF as a permanent replacement for the Bosch part, care would need to be taken to keep the connector properly seated on the MAF sensor.
4) And the best for last: The goddamn thing doesn't work for shit. Sorry for the language, but man is that frustrating. The car ran wrong from the outset with the Autozone part installed; it ran like it had a massive vacuum leak. I had to turn on the AC compressor to raise idle high enough to keep it from stalling without goosing the throttle, but at anything above 3K RPM, the power was obviously off and the car felt completely anemic - and I wasn't exactly getting ankle-deep into the thing during a MAF learning cycle.

I swapped the previous, newly-cleaned MAF sensor back into the car at lunchtime today, including another battery disconnect - and everything is back to normal.

If anyone else tries the Autozone-brand MAF and has a different (i.e. positive) experience, I hope you'll post up - as of now, it looks like a pig.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:55 pm

Wait a sec. Are you suggesting that there may be some value to the Porsche tax? :o