Brake Bleeding using Airlift cooling system tool

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Brake Bleeding using Airlift cooling system tool

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:06 pm

If you have an Airlift kit for coolant servicing, and you have or can build a vacuum tank with appropriate fittings, you can use the Venturi assembly to bleed your brakes.

Connect the vacuum nipple of the Venturi assembly (the vertical part of the T) to one tank nipple, and connect the other to the bleeder nipple. Connect your air supply and, depending on the volume of your vacuum tank, wait for the vacuum to build before opening the bleeder nipple.

I used some low-temp moldable plastic to create a bottle holder for the brake fluid reservoir to allow new fluid to gravity-feed into the reservoir as the level dropped.

Note that the Venturi nozzle generates a respectable amount of vacuum; I collapsed the hard plastic tank I was using and also had to switch to using hard plastic tubing; the soft silicone tubing that comes with brake fluid catch cans is far too soft and collapses on itself.

This was a proof-of-concept run; in the future, I'll use a much more solid reservoir and add a one-way check valve so the air can be shut off once vacuum builds in the tank.

I went this route because the vacuum pump system Autozone loaned to me sucked complete ass and because my Power Bleeder setup doesn't work with a Honda reservoir on my neighbor's car.
Attachments
paint_508ee33539464167a8012cdec3bfd324f5fa6a88.png
paint_508ee33539464167a8012cdec3bfd324f5fa6a88.png (50.27 KiB) Viewed 1916 times

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.