New Member Intros

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: New Member Intros

Post by B3DAWG » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:09 pm

jlasinski wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:52 am First Porsche owned. My name is John and live in the St. Louis, MO suburbs. 1999 Carrera 4 Cabriolet with 54,000 miles. Artic Silver with Metropol Blue Interior. Just added the 19" Carrera Classic Rims which I found locally on Craigslist. Currently upgrading stereo.

16..JPG
Welcome, John! Glad you've joined us.

Now, onto more important questions... Which oil do you prefer? Do you cover the snorkel when you wash the 996? Do you park on uneven payment?

:D

jlasinski

Post by jlasinski » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:17 am

LOL. Have not gotten that far yet. It will be due for an oil change soon and will do it myself. What do you recommend for oil and the filter?
Thanks, John

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:19 am

jlasinski wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:17 am LOL. Have not gotten that far yet. It will be due for an oil change soon and will do it myself. What do you recommend for oil and the filter?
Thanks, John
Joe Gibbs Driven oil products. DT40 is what a lot of people choose. Mahle filters are great too if you want to save money over the OEM.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:00 am

b3freak wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:19 am Joe Gibbs Driven oil products. DT40 is what a lot of people choose. Mahle filters are great too if you want to save money over the OEM.
Stop screwing with the new people and trying to get them to over spend. Costco's house brand olive oil does just fine for 200k intervals!

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:42 am

gnat wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:00 am
b3freak wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:19 am Joe Gibbs Driven oil products. DT40 is what a lot of people choose. Mahle filters are great too if you want to save money over the OEM.
Stop screwing with the new people and trying to get them to over spend. Costco's house brand olive oil does just fine for 200k intervals!
I was going to recommend Hawaiian Tropic, but I've heard running it in these cars causes extreme discoloration. :D

Battery Guy

Post by Battery Guy » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:01 am

Thank you for letting me join the club! I figured it would be OK when I saw that the main rule is to "not be a dick". Possibly I can handle that...
Also learned why leche is bad in a Mexican strip club (who knew?)...

About me - longtime car enthusiast but this is my first Porsche. Not sure why it has taken this long but it did. Have owned a bunch of different MB's over the years, and worked selling Saabs and MB's many years ago. Also had Saabs (still my favorite), Audi's, VW's, a BMW (current daily driver) and lots of other stuff, some interesting, most forgettable.

Found a nice 911 - 1999, one owner convertible, 71,500 miles, generally good condition, black on black. Oddly this car was ordered with no options - will post the sticker when I get the car back from my indy. Having IMS bearing replaced, RMS, clutch etc. The dealer must have swapped out the wheels for 18" sport technic, so I guess that it is not a total stripper. Need to have some leather repair on the driver's seat and will work on detailing it, otherwise a pretty solid car. Originally from California, so no rust, and well maintained. Looking forward to having fun with it!
Daryll

(Have worked in the battery industry, primarily in sales roles, for thirty years, thus the name).
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black
No Options!! (How did that happen??)

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:06 am

Welcome. Enjoy the insanity.

If you have leather in the car to repair, then it wasn't a total stripper. The base seats for the MkI was vinyl :o

Battery Guy

Post by Battery Guy » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:31 am

gnat wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:06 am Welcome. Enjoy the insanity.

If you have leather in the car to repair, then it wasn't a total stripper. The base seats for the MkI was vinyl :o
Hmmm - interesting. I thought that the base interior was "partial leather" but I guess not. Oddly my frunk sticker shows no options, but also does not show the usual codes like "USA equipment" and stuff like that. So maybe it was just an oddly printed sticker, but it does match the one in the maintenance book. Anything is possible - it is a very early production 996 with a May 1998 in service date.

From dealing with MB's for many years I'm familiar with the difference between German vinyl and leather (MB-Tex anyone?). Will post more pictures when I get the car back and let everyone take a shot :D

Thanks!
Daryll
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black
No Options!! (How did that happen??)

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:01 am

Battery Guy wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:31 am
gnat wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:06 am Welcome. Enjoy the insanity.

Hmmm - interesting. I thought that the base interior was "partial leather" but I guess not. Oddly my frunk sticker shows no options, but also does not show the usual codes like "USA equipment" and stuff like that. So maybe it was just an oddly printed sticker, but it does match the one in the maintenance book. Anything is possible - it is a very early production 996 with a May 1998 in service date.

From dealing with MB's for many years I'm familiar with the difference between German vinyl and leather (MB-Tex anyone?). Will post more pictures when I get the car back and let everyone take a shot :D

Thanks!
Daryll
From what I understand, there are two primary types of leather quality in the 996, but no "pleather" or "Blended" leather alternatives. The upper end leather is supposedly supple leather seats (can't remember the official Porsche designation) which is much softer and commonly found on the upper end cars like the C4S and Turbo. The standard leather is pretty darn good. You'll also find "full leather" options from time to time in 996 which includes leather coverings on rear seats, door panels, dash, etc.

Anyway, welcome to the Outpost!

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:17 am

b3freak wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:01 am From what I understand, there are two primary types of leather quality in the 996, but no "pleather" or "Blended" leather alternatives. The upper end leather is supposedly supple leather seats (can't remember the official Porsche designation) which is much softer and commonly found on the upper end cars like the C4S and Turbo. The standard leather is pretty darn good. You'll also find "full leather" options from time to time in 996 which includes leather coverings on rear seats, door panels, dash, etc.

Anyway, welcome to the Outpost!
Nope.

The supple leather was an option over the taut seat centers with the pin holes. The only difference is the seat centers in front (upper and lower) and the bottom of the rear seats which have the supple/ruffled look.

There were indeed lots of leather options (and we got all except for the embossed head rests in ours) that get ridiculous (leather covered vent slats!), but the base seats in the early models were indeed not real leather. I know this for a fact for the 99s and 00s, but I'm not positive about the 01s as they changed the option list and moved to more packages and less individualization (which really pissed us off at the time time as there were suddenly a bunch of options we wanted and could no longer get (deviated leather, white gauges and AL trim bits (not available with all the leather we put in), and some other things). Really sucked to finally get our build slot and then be told we couldn't have the car we had customized over the 2 year wait. Still have yet to see it's identical twin though :)