My 2002 996 "renovation" thread

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Re: Got me some nice new shoes!

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:51 am

b3freak wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:08 am Anyway, here is the picture.
Dude, looking good!

b3freak wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:40 am Jumped in the car and almost drove off with the gas nozzle still in the car.

LOL! For peace of mind I actually witnessed this happen while I was filling up on a road trip. The person drove off with the hose still in their car and the thing popped right off on a quick-release mechanism! The attendant just came out with a lazy look on his face, pulled it out of the car, and snapped it back into the pump. :lol:

I suppose we as a society decided if we can't fix stupid we can fix the pump. (No offense meant by that statement, btw, I do stupid crap all the time...)
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:11 am

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:51 am
Dude, looking good!

b3freak wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:40 am Jumped in the car and almost drove off with the gas nozzle still in the car.

LOL! For peace of mind I actually witnessed this happen while I was filling up on a road trip. The person drove off with the hose still in their car and the thing popped right off on a quick-release mechanism! The attendant just came out with a lazy look on his face, pulled it out of the car, and snapped it back into the pump. :lol:

I suppose we as a society decided if we can't fix stupid we can fix the pump. (No offense meant by that statement, btw, I do stupid crap all the time...)
I master the art of stupid! lol :lol: But seriously, I wasn't embarrassed. I was shocked thinking I could have spewed gasoline all over. The scene in Rambo where he burned down the gas station scarred me as a kid. :shock: :D

Dgi 07

Post by Dgi 07 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:33 am

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:51 am ......The person drove off with the hose still in their car and the thing popped right off on a quick-release mechanism! The attendant just came out with a lazy look on his face, pulled it out of the car, and snapped it back into the pump. :lol:
I did this once.
Sleep deprived, 2 jobs, school, usual shit...
Drove off and head the quick disconnect hit the side of my car. Started freaking out. Attendant came over and said its cool. Happens all the time, hence the quick disconnect.
5chn3ll wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:48 am ...an eternity of being sodomized by a giant phallus made of crushed, reformed ghost peppers.

B3DAWG

Re: My 2002 996 "renovation" thread

Post by B3DAWG » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:54 am

FRUNKenstein wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:21 am To make the black wheels work, you need to dark tint your windows.
I was thinking about flat black Venetian blinds.

Can you imagine the scene at the McD's drive through as I slowly pull them up? :lol:

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:56 am

808Bill wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:01 am I'm leaning towards bronze or even gold (matches the Carrera Emblem) just to be different. I keep flip flopping and will probably do nothing! :lol:
Go for it dude!!! Can you get gold window tint in Hawaii? :D

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:48 am

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:51 am
Dude, looking good!

Thank you, Doc! Walking to the office I noticed that almost all cars have silver wheels. While I have nothing against conforming to wheel standard, I kinda like being different. Truthfully, it's like the fried egg headlights, I can't see them from the driver's seat. The turbo twists are much better wheels for the 996 than the 19" Vossens. IMHO

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:57 am

I'm with you on not liking black/black, but I can get behind black/grey. Also, aesthetically, the 996 is so soft and smooth. No harsh creases whatsoever, like modern cars. (Cough, cough, LEXUS.) This is why I feel like a lot of modern wheels that have lots of spokes and hard lines can compete with the soft lines of the 996. Noticing this was a huge selling point for me and my TechArts, also a big reason why I love the twists and feel like they're really the perfect wheel the car, albeit OEM, and "Boring."
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:10 pm

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:57 am I'm with you on not liking black/black, but I can get behind black/grey. Also, aesthetically, the 996 is so soft and smooth. No harsh creases whatsoever, like modern cars. (Cough, cough, LEXUS.) This is why I feel like a lot of modern wheels that have lots of spokes and hard lines can compete with the soft lines of the 996. Noticing this was a huge selling point for me and my TechArts, also a big reason why I love the twists and feel like they're really the perfect wheel the car, albeit OEM, and "Boring."
These wheels were powder coated anthracite grey to be exact. They're also a textured matte finish. Close to an egg shell. But can we drop the egg references when it comes to our cars? lol :D I was thinking about having a clear coat sprayed to give them a glossy look, but again, the texture/color grew on me. I'm wearin' them proudly... God Bless the USA!

B3DAWG

Re: OCD club

Post by B3DAWG » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:16 pm

Here's a clearer image...

Not as "murdered" as Gnat though huh? lol

And yes, that's mud on the fender. Haven't wash it in over a month. The purists just hate my guts. I'm now outta the OCD 996 club. (sniffle)
turbotwistsbright.jpg

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:13 pm

b3freak wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:10 pm These wheels were powder coated anthracite grey to be exact. They're also a textured matte finish. Close to an egg shell.
From your pic and description it sounds like our C IIs are a shade darker, but the same finish. It is a nice looking color indeed, just not for me on a black car is all I'm saying.
b3freak wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:16 pm And yes, that's mud on the fender. Haven't wash it in over a month. The purists just hate my guts. I'm now outta the OCD 996 club. (sniffle)
A month? A MONTH?

Shit! Our's hasn't gotten a bath since the last time it was at the body shop which was like 2 or 3 years ago...