Bore Scoring! Who knows for whom the bell tolls...

Renn Meister

Re: Bore Scoring! Who knows for whom the bell tolls...

Post by Renn Meister » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:56 pm

b3freak wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:44 pm
Renn Meister wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:35 pm
No... That was "Liquid Death"

Anyway, most of this damage has been done over years by fuel, operating conditions, and long oil service intervals. What you do for oil right now is like a smoker throwing his smokes away at age 80 after a heart attack. It ain't gonna help that much...

I don't know the story behind your car, was it always a local car from around here? If so a scored cylinder isn't the norm, but is happening more these days. Do you have the Carfax to see where it previously lived?
Hahaha Ahhhhh “liquid death” How could forget that. The car is not a southern car. :( it’s a northern car... Minnessota? I’ll have to find my Carfax to confirm. It’s been a while, but definitely sold up north and lived most of its life up north. Short time in Florida.
Unfortunately its coming together... Lots of Florida cars were northern cars, because the northerners migrate to Florida and trade cars off/ sell/ etc. Lots of Florida cars are not truly Florida cars.
If I would have been at Cars and Coffee this past Saturday I may have caught this, but I was too busy playing in my swamp.

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:05 pm

Renn Meister wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:56 pm
b3freak wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:44 pm

Hahaha Ahhhhh “liquid death” How could forget that. The car is not a southern car. :( it’s a northern car... Minnessota? I’ll have to find my Carfax to confirm. It’s been a while, but definitely sold up north and lived most of its life up north. Short time in Florida.
Unfortunately its coming together... Lots of Florida cars were northern cars, because the northerners migrate to Florida and trade cars off/ sell/ etc. Lots of Florida cars are not truly Florida cars.
If I would have been at Cars and Coffee this past Saturday I may have caught this, but I was too busy playing in my swamp.
Makes sense! And I couldn’t attend the recent cars and coffee because of my nephew’s wedding. Last time I was there was like in October I think? Maybe that’s when we talked? Well, I gotta go to bed ... my mind is not working well right now. I hope when I wake up in the morning this nightmare will go away. Thanks Jake! And thank you Bill for the encouragement.

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:25 am

32wildbilly wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:37 pm
b3freak wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:29 pm
Dude I think you were getting mobbed by fans both times.
Well, anyway....
You also asked what oil I was running. I said Mobil1 0w40. The you looked at me and said “liquid gas!?” or something like that. Hahaha I’ll take a picture in the morning when there is good light and try to get a sound recording of the noise. Of course, I could always drive my car and meet you.
Just a note to self...tailpipes will be dirty they are tailpipes after all. There is a difference between dirty and sooty...
I forgot that I had to get to work very early this morning and so it was too dark to fool with getting a decent picture. I'll try later. Sorry about that. However, I did take a picture of my scan tool when I was experiencing the misfires a couple of weeks ago. (see attachments) The picture I posted at the gas station recently was one of the nights I was getting some misfires to the point of getting the CEL. It didn't start flashing like it did in the past, but I was pretty convinced I needed to replace the coil packs. Now that I see soot in the tailpipe and hearing the slight ticking noises, I'm worried this problem is more like what Bill is experiencing. I don't have a bore scope and frankly, never replaced coil packs on these cars and so this is new territory for me.

After seeing Bill images and hearing from Raby regarding the *other* symptoms, I honestly didn't sleep well at all last night. Maybe it's not as bad as I'm thinking? Could it be that the car is running a little rich causing the soot? Regarding the ticking type sounds, I'm not sure if I'm hearing something like a water pump, alternator, or actual cylinders. In order to get a good recording, should I record it from the top end of the motor and should record from the bottom near the oil pan???
scan_996b.jpg
scan_996b.jpg (81.36 KiB) Viewed 2082 times
scan_996a.jpg
scan_996a.jpg (92.9 KiB) Viewed 2082 times

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:39 am

b3freak wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:25 am
32wildbilly wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:37 pm

Just a note to self...tailpipes will be dirty they are tailpipes after all. There is a difference between dirty and sooty...
I forgot that I had to get to work very early this morning and so it was too dark to fool with getting a decent picture. I'll try later. Sorry about that. However, I did take a picture of my scan tool when I was experiencing the misfires a couple of weeks ago. (see attachments) The picture I posted at the gas station recently was one of the nights I was getting some misfires to the point of getting the CEL. It didn't start flashing like it did in the past, but I was pretty convinced I needed to replace the coil packs. Now that I see soot in the tailpipe and hearing the slight ticking noises, I'm worried this problem is more like what Bill is experiencing. I don't have a bore scope and frankly, never replaced coil packs on these cars and so this is new territory for me.

After seeing Bill images and hearing from Raby regarding the *other* symptoms, I honestly didn't sleep well at all last night. Maybe it's not as bad as I'm thinking? Could it be that the car is running a little rich causing the soot? Regarding the ticking type sounds, I'm not sure if I'm hearing something like a water pump, alternator, or actual cylinders. In order to get a good recording, should I record it from the top end of the motor and should record from the bottom near the oil pan???

scan_996b.jpg
scan_996a.jpg
1 and 5 hhhmmm could be just coils, I guess. The best recordings I got was phone on the ground beneath the engine on the passenger side. Left in place seems better than wandering around while recording as that seemed to confuse what I was hearing.
Never gonna make you cry...

Dgi 07

Post by Dgi 07 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:42 am

A lot of information in here

I have the sooty driver tailpipe, a mild tick, but no misfires. :shock:

Great!!!!
5chn3ll wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:48 am ...an eternity of being sodomized by a giant phallus made of crushed, reformed ghost peppers.

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:48 am

Dgi 07 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:42 am A lot of information in here

Great!!!!
Oh crap!!! We're all doomed. I'm going out back to throw up. :oops: The stress is mounting. Why do we love and hate these cars so much!?? :?

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:59 am

32wildbilly wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:39 am
b3freak wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:25 am

scan_996b.jpg
scan_996a.jpg
1 and 5 hhhmmm could be just coils, I guess. The best recordings I got was phone on the ground beneath the engine on the passenger side. Left in place seems better than wandering around while recording as that seemed to confuse what I was hearing.
Wow... that would be a great turn of events if it's just coil packs. I have no record of them being replaced and I did examine one and from what I can tell it has the original Porsche logo which I believe means those are factory?

I haven't driven the car much because the weather over the last month or two have been nasty. But I did drive it in the rain and so I would imagine the rear tires throw a lot of water on the coils, right? I was thinking that if the coil packs are cracked and they're getting exposed to water/moisture from the rear tires, then it's gotta be a problem with the coil packs.

Could the sooty tailpipe be from not driving it much??? Like unburned fuel sitting in the cylinders or something??? When it sat for several weeks, I went out to drive it, started the car, and when it first started up it was shaking terribly bad and I was getting lots of smoke. I thought my AOS was bad. I wasn't getting any warning at first and so I thought... maybe it's just from the coldness and sitting up? I started driving and then I get the blinking CEL. Ugh!

And so, the weather got better and everything dried up. I put my Christmas present (Turbo Twists) on and went to fill it up with gasoline. Everything was fine until I stopped at the grocery store. As I was leaving, the car started acting weird again. CEL came on, but didn't blink. Got home and scanned it. Same misfires. I've been keeping myself calm thinking it was simply coil packs, but now after seeing your picture of #6, I don't know anymore.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:07 am

b3freak wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:48 am
Dgi 07 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:42 am A lot of information in here

Great!!!!
Oh crap!!! We're all doomed. I'm going out back to throw up. :oops: The stress is mounting. Why do we love and hate these cars so much!?? :?
look-at-the-sky-not-falling.jpg
Never gonna make you cry...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:20 am

What do I win?
Attachments
IMG_20190117_010801.jpg
IMG_20190117_010801.jpg (422.58 KiB) Viewed 2060 times
IMG_20190117_010742.jpg
IMG_20190117_010742.jpg (441.99 KiB) Viewed 2060 times

Dgi 07

Post by Dgi 07 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:21 am

15 minutes at the cheapest car wash for starters!!!!
5chn3ll wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:48 am ...an eternity of being sodomized by a giant phallus made of crushed, reformed ghost peppers.