What did you do to/with your 996 today?

Battery Guy

Re: What did you do to/with your 996 today?

Post by Battery Guy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:17 pm

Dgi 07 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:14 pm Battery Guy, try Krytox by DuPont. We use it for noisy door seals on some of the cars I work on. It’s expensive, but works well!!!
Great - thank you very much for the suggestion! Will give it a try.
Daryll
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black
No Options!! (How did that happen??)

Battery Guy

Post by Battery Guy » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:08 am

Yesterday took the dirty 996 to Costco for gas and to get supplies for the coming winter storm (a case of wine). It was raining, but I was hoping to get it to the car wash to at least get the salt off of it from the drive home from Chicago. That did not happen, as it was pouring when I got back and the car wash was closed. So, now parked in the garage and still very dirty. Had to un-freeze our Jeep that was parked outside when the rain turned to freezing rain - it was pretty well encapsulated in ice. :cry:

Today is a balmy 9 degrees but at least sunny. Will think about projects for the car... At least I did get the coco mats ordered. Will post pictures when they arrive. Now focused on a gear shift knob and considering all of the options. As always open to suggestions - will probably post some questions too.
Daryll
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black

Einsteiger

Post by Einsteiger » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:30 pm

Not so much "with" the 996 but "for" the 996: I decided to up the game and augment my existing sonic rodent devices in the garage with a new one with a larger footprint. I also picked up some repellant packs and tossed one under the Porsche. A strong scent, but a lot easier to tolerate than the traditional moth balls. I've not seen any evidence of mice so far - all my bait blocks that are around the outside walls are untouched so far, but all the posts on Rennlist and other places about rodent damage has me paranoid! Before anyone suggests it, I won't have a cat...period. :twisted:
Attachments
IMG_1218.JPG
IMG_1217.JPG
Kevin
1999 C2 - Vesuvio Gray Metallic
Eastern Kansas

808Bill
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by 808Bill » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:52 am

At least cats work!
FSI-R40

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:08 am

808Bill wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:52 am At least cats work!
Unless your car hates cats...

Battery Guy

Post by Battery Guy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:06 pm

Drove mine to the airport today, trying to dodge piles of slush and other winter related shit. Got to the airport and find the the garage is almost full and I have to park on the roof. Crap. Supposed to warm up tomorrow, but then get stupid cold by Saturday when I get back. Guess we will see how well it starts when will cold-soaked. Hoping the roads are cleaned up so that I can at least get it to a car wash on Sunday and get the salt off the bottom of the car. Still want to pull the hardtop and work on the squeaking but that will not happen for a while - next week will be back at the airport first thing Monday morning.
Daryll
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black

Battery Guy

Post by Battery Guy » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:34 pm

Got home from frozen Minnesota, found my very dirty car on the airport garage roof. It fired right up like it was summertime, and since the roads were (sort of) clean I ran it through the car wash to get the salt off. Hate driving it in the crappy winter, but I’m pleasantly surprized how good of a winter car it is - heats up fast, and the little bit of snow I drove in was not problem. Next weekend hopefully can address the hard top squeaking...
FFDD0799-B566-4F10-A2A4-4F8183CE4A68.jpeg
Still need to do something with the radio, shift knob and hand brake handle. Ideally there would be a factory wood knob and handbrake out there, but stlll nothing has turned up on e-bay.
Daryll
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black

sweet victory
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by sweet victory » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:06 pm

Gave the 996 a single stage polish with Carpro Essense Plus. (Great product if you have a Cquartz coating) Finally got around to removing the unsightly Sirius antenna that the previous owner had installed. It was the last piece of that system I had not removed.

I also finally got the new decklid adjusted. I did not realize the latch that bolts to the car is adjustable; once I got that dialed in, my issues with opening the decklid went away. Decklid could use some wetsanding to peel match the rest of the paint...but meh. (If you read this and decide to adjust your latch, make sure the manual release cable is accessible. If you have the latch too much to the left or right, it will not open at all using the in cabin release)

Here is the final result with two coats of Powerlock. I was planning on topping with 845, but I got lazy.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:12 pm

sweet victory wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:06 pm Gave the 996 a single stage polish with Carpro Essense Plus. (Great product if you have a Cquartz coating) Finally got around to removing the unsightly Sirius antenna that the previous owner had installed. It was the last piece of that system I had not removed.

I also finally got the new decklid adjusted. I did not realize the latch that bolts to the car is adjustable; once I got that dialed in, my issues with opening the decklid went away. Decklid could use some wetsanding to peel match the rest of the paint...but meh. (If you read this and decide to adjust your latch, make sure the manual release cable is accessible. If you have the latch too much to the left or right, it will not open at all using the in cabin release)

Here is the final result with two coats of Powerlock. I was planning on topping with 845, but I got lazy.

Very nice! Looks like a lot of work, but result is worth it!
Never gonna make you cry...

sweet victory
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by sweet victory » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:10 am

Definitely. It's known that a clean car drives better too! :P