Anyone know much about 3d printers?

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Re: Anyone know much about 3d printers?

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:28 am

I have one of these on a shelf - but I just have never had the time to plow into getting really good scans. There are some tricks - like hairspray on shiny objects. It's on the "someday when I have lots of spare time" list...

If you have the time and inclination, though, the thing is capable of some pretty cool results:

gnat wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:00 pm Even more cool would be to couple this with the tricks using cameras to generate a 3D representation of a real object and then using this decomposition tool to give you access to the basics for tweaking it to meet your needs.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:33 am

gnat wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:04 am So my printer happened to arrive the day of my electricity billing cycle and that month saw an increase of $40 which is entirely attributable to printing. I didn't record every print, but I'd say that is for printing the equiv of 2-2.5 weeks at 24x7.

While that sounds like a lot (and it was an unexpected shock) that averages out to $8 per final print (obviously some took longer than others and some had a number of test prints to tweak my designs so it is actually substantially different per print) which I don't think is terrible. If the things I generated were actually available commercially they would likely cost substantially more so not really so bad after all.

Voltron Head = ~$25
Model my 6yr old created = ~$7
SD card holder = ~$3
USB Charger Carrier = ~$7
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3384010 = ~$22 (this actually is mostly in the new billing cycle)

The only one where there is a commercial option would be the SD card holder and you can find some in the range of the total cost (power, time, filament), but I modeled this one to fit exactly as I needed which counts for something....
Now...if you would design some type of drive system hooked to the pedals you could just cruise around the office area without even getting out of the chair! Win-Win!
Never gonna make you cry...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:31 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:33 am Now...if you would design some type of drive system hooked to the pedals you could just cruise around the office area without even getting out of the chair! Win-Win!
Funny, but maybe not a bad idea. When I originally read this comment earlier I thought "what's the point, my office is 10x15", but yeah in a real office setting with the "open" BS they push now that could be kinda handy to motor your way between meetings and to the break room :lol:

I haven't taken the Cubii apart (which now that I think of it is kinda surprising for me...), but I would guess adding a belt to power some wheels wouldn't be difficult. I would guess that steering and emergency braking would be the tougher problems to solve...

Hmmm... Disengaging the drive when you get to where you are going would also need to be done too.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:33 pm

Speaking of offices. Had to actually go in last Friday and found some ass had stolen my chair!

Just cause it wasn't used for 9 months doesn't mean it's fair game! Bastards!

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:41 am

Well the printer is actually saving me a crap ton of money at the moment!

Being 7yr old boys my son and his best friend are into Minecraft. I found a nice model of a Creeper that someone did that roughly equates to this: https://www.amazon.com/Minecraft-Core-C ... way&sr=8-1

True that the legs don't move like the official version, but this model has a texture to it rather than painted "blocks".

So they want $20 for one (wtf??) and I'm able to knock off 18 of them for the kids for less than that all in, including power costs.

I suppose I can't really call it "saving" since there is no way I would have spent $360 on the damn things, but it is certainly making possible what otherwise wouldn't be. Pretty cool.

It always bugged me as a kid that you couldn't really have a squad of storm troopers like in the movies because you/parents couldn't/wouldn't buy that many of the same thing. So being able to print off a raft of "common" creatures for him to play with is pretty awesome in my book.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:50 am

gnat wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:41 am Well the printer is actually saving me a crap ton of money at the moment!

Being 7yr old boys my son and his best friend are into Minecraft. I found a nice model of a Creeper that someone did that roughly equates to this: https://www.amazon.com/Minecraft-Core-C ... way&sr=8-1

True that the legs don't move like the official version, but this model has a texture to it rather than painted "blocks".

So they want $20 for one (wtf??) and I'm able to knock off 18 of them for the kids for less than that all in, including power costs.

I suppose I can't really call it "saving" since there is no way I would have spent $360 on the damn things, but it is certainly making possible what otherwise wouldn't be. Pretty cool.

It always bugged me as a kid that you couldn't really have a squad of storm troopers like in the movies because you/parents couldn't/wouldn't buy that many of the same thing. So being able to print off a raft of "common" creatures for him to play with is pretty awesome in my book.
YOU are a good Dad!

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:22 pm

That's funny - I printed some of the same Minecraft swag for one of my nephews a year or so ago. Blew his mind.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:35 am

5chn3ll wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:22 pm That's funny - I printed some of the same Minecraft swag for one of my nephews a year or so ago. Blew his mind.
...and you are a good Uncle.

I'm beginning to think both of you and gnat's forum personalities are not accurate. :lol:

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:23 am

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:31 pm

gnat wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:23 am The original model: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1116836

My update: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3453756

The result:
Those are Cool...creepy but Cool!