Search is Over, Picked up a 911TT

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Re: Search is Over, Picked up a 911TT

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:15 pm

If the tire size was an issue, you're already be boned. The viscous coupling does not tolerate front/rear pairings that are significantly out of spec. I was too lazy to do the research, but if the car has been running that way for any lengthy period of time, anything that's going to be done is done, regardless of how you drove/drive/draven.

There is always some power going to the front wheels - that's how the viscous coupling works. Since it's never fully DEcoupled, the "don't get on it" advice seems odd and largely useless.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:19 pm

ipman wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:26 pm Rear wiper? I saw some searching that had it deleted. Why is that done? I am fine with it.
It's a cleaner look without it (we bought hers without it from the factory), but as someone that drives it in all weather conditions I will not own another 911 without a rear wiper. Once you get up to speed in the rain it keeps itself clear, but otherwise it sits on the rear window and you can't see well at all.
Oh, another question- it has Continental ExtremeContact DWS all weather tires on it. The fronts are factory size but the rear is minus 1, they're 285/30s instead of 295/30s. My buddy said to be careful "getting on it" since it is AWD and could affect the transfer case. Is there any truth to this? The tires have minimal wear on them so I'd prefer to just run them and then get the 295s but certainly don't want to damage the AWD system.
Short answer: Get it to a professional for diagnoses and don't cheap out on tires (e.g. always replace all 4 even if you've only got 500 miles on them when one gets taken out).

As Schnell says different sizes are a bad thing. Different sizes (or tread depths) on the same axle is the absolute worst.

Since you drove it home like that, any damage is done already. I'd get it to a Porsche shop that knows the system and have them test it. If it's still good, sync up the tires and enjoy it. If it is showing signs of damage, pull the front drive shaft and enjoy a poor man's GT2 (RWD) until you can/want to get it repaired ($$$$).

As far as the "getting on it", I disagree with Schnell. In such a situation with as much power as the TT can put down, the AWD is working it's butt off to give you as much traction as it can. I would expect that any issues from differing tire sizes would be magnified as power is increased. Once the car is moving at speed, however, you should be fine to bury that pedal as the system won't be working nearly as hard as when you starting from a stand still.

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:43 am

ipman wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:26 pm Rear wiper? I saw some searching that had it deleted. Why is that done? I am fine with it.
Many delete it because of appearance, but the rear wipers on the 996 cars are known to snap back and scratch the side of the car. Basically what happens is, the owner wants to clean the rear window, puts the wiper in service mode position, and as he is cleaning the rear window not having a care in the world... shaaaabooom.... :o the thing snaps back and when it does, the bottom of the wiper rotates, and thus, ends up scratching the car.

Yep, you guessed it... mine is scratched. :(

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:07 am

b3freak wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:43 am
Many delete it because of appearance, but the rear wipers on the 996 cars are known to snap back and scratch the side of the car. Basically what happens is, the owner wants to clean the rear window, puts the wiper in service mode position, and as he is cleaning the rear window not having a care in the world... shaaaabooom.... :o the thing snaps back and when it does, the bottom of the wiper rotates, and thus, ends up scratching the car.

I'm thinking about deleting mine for that very reason. I'll never use it. And it definitely looks cleaner without it. It's on my list of stuff to do.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:14 am

FRUNKenstein wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:07 am

I'm thinking about deleting mine for that very reason. I'll never use it. And it definitely looks cleaner without it. It's on my list of stuff to do.
I can't blame you. My best advice to the 996 people that want to keep their rear wipes is DON'T ever put them in service position when washing your car or rear window. Instead, pull the wiper up slightly, clean the window, the gentle put it back into correct position. Seems so simple, but it's amazing how many people have scratched their cars. And no, I'm not the one that did mine... it was the previous owner. hahaha :D

TheDeckMan

Post by TheDeckMan » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:46 am

Congrats on the 6TT! Welcome to the club!

Thus why the first thing I did was to pull mine.
996TT - Widowmaker Project -RWD, UMW Tune, H&R RSS, Phenix Engineering Control Arms/LCA's, GT3 6 Pistons, SpeedTech 3" X-Pipe, Ported Headers, 997 GT3 Shifter, GT3 Buckets, GT2 Clutch/PP, GT2RS IC's, RSS Roll Bar, GT3 Brake Ducts, Joe Toth Aero/Ducts, Champion Thrust Arms
997TT - LSD, Chrono , UMW Tune, DSC, Phenix Engineering Toe Links & LCA Bushings, Tubi Race, 3" eRams, 964RS Engine Mounts
Audi TT Track Car
Corrado SLC
https://phenixengineering.com/

ipman
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by ipman » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:11 pm

I called a local Porsche indy, told them my concern and she talked to the tech. I wanted to get an alignment anyhow. They are not too concerned about any damage, but did recommend I get proper size tires, then an alignment and they will inspect the suspension. I forgot to add, the rears have spacers, I suspect to offset the narrower width of the 285s. Anyway, I ordered some PS2s from Tire Rack and will have the indy install and then align. Expensive and I thought about the Sumis, but just bit the bullet.

I also ordered some stabilus frunk and rear deck supports, the frunk almost hit me in the noggin in Denver's 25 degree weather.

I will look into the wiper delete. I do like the wiper but certainly do not want to scratch the paint in an accident

A couple of other things I would like that I learned from my 1000 mile drive:
1- a place to put my cell phone. The Rennline magnetic phone mount looks nice. anyone have one and want to share their 2 cents?
2- The space below the single din is wasted. I don't use CDs and i have an aftermarket radio, so ideally a storage din or two would be nice to have so I can put something there. I am guessing someone makes a storage din for these spots?

The sensor came in, I started to remove it, but thought better. I did not have confidence the bolts would not drop and re-entry would be very difficult. So I searched more and will lower the engine a few inches by undoing the rearmost mounts, this should give me (really my wife) the clearance to remove the sender.

TheDeckMan

Post by TheDeckMan » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:38 am

ipman wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:11 pm I called a local Porsche indy, told them my concern and she talked to the tech. I wanted to get an alignment anyhow. They are not too concerned about any damage, but did recommend I get proper size tires, then an alignment and they will inspect the suspension. I forgot to add, the rears have spacers, I suspect to offset the narrower width of the 285s. Anyway, I ordered some PS2s from Tire Rack and will have the indy install and then align. Expensive and I thought about the Sumis, but just bit the bullet.

I also ordered some stabilus frunk and rear deck supports, the frunk almost hit me in the noggin in Denver's 25 degree weather.

I will look into the wiper delete. I do like the wiper but certainly do not want to scratch the paint in an accident

A couple of other things I would like that I learned from my 1000 mile drive:
1- a place to put my cell phone. The Rennline magnetic phone mount looks nice. anyone have one and want to share their 2 cents?
2- The space below the single din is wasted. I don't use CDs and i have an aftermarket radio, so ideally a storage din or two would be nice to have so I can put something there. I am guessing someone makes a storage din for these spots?

The sensor came in, I started to remove it, but thought better. I did not have confidence the bolts would not drop and re-entry would be very difficult. So I searched more and will lower the engine a few inches by undoing the rearmost mounts, this should give me (really my wife) the clearance to remove the sender.
The lower CD holder spot you can replace with a open cubby, got mine from sonnen parts for like $35.
996TT - Widowmaker Project -RWD, UMW Tune, H&R RSS, Phenix Engineering Control Arms/LCA's, GT3 6 Pistons, SpeedTech 3" X-Pipe, Ported Headers, 997 GT3 Shifter, GT3 Buckets, GT2 Clutch/PP, GT2RS IC's, RSS Roll Bar, GT3 Brake Ducts, Joe Toth Aero/Ducts, Champion Thrust Arms
997TT - LSD, Chrono , UMW Tune, DSC, Phenix Engineering Toe Links & LCA Bushings, Tubi Race, 3" eRams, 964RS Engine Mounts
Audi TT Track Car
Corrado SLC
https://phenixengineering.com/

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:47 am

ipman wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:11 pm Anyway, I ordered some PS2s from Tire Rack and will have the indy install and then align. Expensive and I thought about the Sumis, but just bit the bullet.
Pricey, but the PS2s are a good selection. It's all we've run on her C4 since we replace the factory Conti garbage that it came with.

Be aware, however, that if you aren't driving enough to replace them by wear that you'll want to replace them around the 4yr mark due to age. The things will turn into hockey pucks and not want to stick to anything.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/8 ... one-2.html

Damn. I had forgotten how funny that thread was :lol:

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:23 am

gnat wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:47 am
ipman wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:11 pm Anyway, I ordered some PS2s from Tire Rack and will have the indy install and then align. Expensive and I thought about the Sumis, but just bit the bullet.
Pricey, but the PS2s are a good selection. It's all we've run on her C4 since we replace the factory Conti garbage that it came with.

Be aware, however, that if you aren't driving enough to replace them by wear that you'll want to replace them around the 4yr mark due to age. The things will turn into hockey pucks and not want to stick to anything.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/8 ... one-2.html

Damn. I had forgotten how funny that thread was :lol:
No-Meme-The-Office-03.jpg
No-Meme-The-Office-03.jpg (25.58 KiB) Viewed 3341 times
Never gonna make you cry...