Optimizing Danmar M6 2 Post Lift

sweet victory
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: Optimizing Danmar M6 2 Post Lift

Post by sweet victory » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:07 am

I work as an R&D engineer for a defense company. Lots of fun toys at work.

Have you tried using Shapeways? https://www.shapeways.com If you ever need a part that you can't seem to get right on your home printer, they can provide a much larger array of materials and finishes. (Including gold plating...so maybe a printed gold IMSB ?)

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:12 am

gnat wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:01 am You can patent anything that isn't already patented or has prior art.

You might lose on a challenge, but it's not really costly to file the patent.

If you start selling it and it becomes popular, however, expect some shop in China to not give a shit about our patent law and undercut you with a cheap knock off that may or may not kill someone when their welded aluminum pipe collapses...

I vote that you put the design info up somewhere like Thingverse and (if you are interested) produce sets in small quantities for a reasonable price (material, power, time, and beer) for those interested.
I'm really not interested in pursuing a patent for this. Just thought it would be a practical project to share with you guys. Once I settle on a design, I'm more than happy to share the STL file on thingiverse. Time is scarce, but if guys are interested I can probably make a few extras.

Einsteiger

Post by Einsteiger » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:18 am

Good plan. Producing any kind of product brings with it the specter of the dreaded "product liability". Insurance alone can get expensive.
Kevin
1999 C2 - Vesuvio Gray Metallic
Eastern Kansas

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:22 pm

Here is the shortened version next to the originals.

I'll try to better illustrate my goal here. I want to be able to line up the pad perfectly, every single time, to create a repeatable processes that requires minimal effort. As an R&D engineer, I don't just design products, I design processes.

You can visually locate the lift pad under the lift point using the peg and slot.

You confirm the lift pad is directly under the lift point by sliding the lift pad upwards.

I think I will tweak the design one more time. As you can see, it rubs the bottom of the lift point. I will shave off ~.20" or so. Also, I'm thinking that I will taper the peg instead having it straight with a chamfer. I think it will locate itself a bit easier in case there is a little movement when the arms are lifted.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:38 pm

sweet victory wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:22 pm I'll try to better illustrate my goal here. I want to be able to line up the pad perfectly, every single time, to create a repeatable processes that requires minimal effort. As an R&D engineer, I don't just design products, I design processes.
Sadly so many (especially in the car industry) don't think this way which is how we end up with absolutely brain dead designs that then make usability and servicing a nightmare.

Good on you!
You confirm the lift pad is directly under the lift point by sliding the lift pad upwards.
Such an elegantly simple solution to an annoying problem. I wondered what the sculpting on the sides was about as I figured it was more than decorative. Some knurling on the final product probably wouldn't be amiss to help with hands/gloves that might have oil or grease on them. Getting a finger pinched by one slipping from your hand with what I imagine the final weight will be would not make for a pleasant weekend afternoon working on the car ;)

Einsteiger

Post by Einsteiger » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:49 am

Round peg, round hole. Simplicity.
Attachments
excellent.gif
excellent.gif (478.67 KiB) Viewed 7296 times
Kevin
1999 C2 - Vesuvio Gray Metallic
Eastern Kansas

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:18 am

gnat wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:38 pm Sadly so many (especially in the car industry) don't think this way which is how we end up with absolutely brain dead designs that then make usability and servicing a nightmare.

Good on you!

Such an elegantly simple solution to an annoying problem. I wondered what the sculpting on the sides was about as I figured it was more than decorative. Some knurling on the final product probably wouldn't be amiss to help with hands/gloves that might have oil or grease on them. Getting a finger pinched by one slipping from your hand with what I imagine the final weight will be would not make for a pleasant weekend afternoon working on the car ;)
Yeah, not sure how a lot of things get through design review meetings without being scrutinized. I'm glad the work I do isn't constrained by "value engineering" (making shit cheap as possible). Quiet the opposite with the DoD...

There's elegance in simplicity. I don't think we have a knurling tool that can knurl that concave feature. It will be turned from 6061 or 1018 and will only be about 3.13" overall length, so it will be quiet light.

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:19 am

Einsteiger wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:49 am Round peg, round hole. Simplicity.

Thank god I was awake in class that day in kindergarten... :lol:

Dgi 07

Post by Dgi 07 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:46 am

sweet victory wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:31 pm
  • Position arms under car
  • Crawl around and place hockey pucks
  • Lift arms a few inches
  • Crawl around each corner for placement check
  • Lower arms
  • Crawl around each other to adjust
  • lift arms a few inches
  • Crawl around each corner for placement check
  • Lift car to desired height
Seems like you spend a lot of time adjusting the lift arms.
Tip from a mechanic. Use the rings on the base of the lift and pull up on them . This allows you to move the arm, without putting it back down to adjust.
Cuts your adjustment time in half.
5chn3ll wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:48 am ...an eternity of being sodomized by a giant phallus made of crushed, reformed ghost peppers.

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:49 am

Dgi 07 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:46 am Seems like you spend a lot of time adjusting the lift arms.
Tip from a mechanic. Use the rings on the base of the lift and pull up on them . This allows you to move the arm, without putting it back down to adjust.
Cuts your adjustment time in half.
I cannot just place the hockey pad on the lift and push it under the vehicle. I have to push the arm under the car, and then try to center the hockey puck. (Only on the rear since the side skirt sits lower) It's very difficult to see how the car is sitting on the hockey puck unless I raise the vehicle a few inches, and that's why it takes so much time. I don't adjust every corner, usually just one of the rears. I still appreciate the help.

I'm not expecting to have to make any adjustments after I get these new lift pads made. :)