Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:16 pm

BULLSHIT.
JayG wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:36 pm Disclamer: I am not a lawyer and am not giving legal advise and am not an asshat

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:20 pm

JayG wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:36 pm
gnat wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:04 pm
A couple of rows of garage-less houses are surrounded by houses with garages. When I bought the house the bylaws explicitly said that houses are required to use their garage and driveway, but none ever have and at some point it was removed from the bylaws :x

So we are surrounded by a bunch of ass hats that stuff their garages full of crap and then park their other car(s) in the limited parking. Now my neighbor and another house across the street are illegally renting their basements. My neighbor's tenants are good enough to street park on the side, but the assholes across the street have 6 extra cars and they always park right in front of peoples houses and take up all the parking. All the county housing authority says is "we'll look into it", but 8 months later nothing has been done about the ones across the street (haven't called about next door since I know there is no point and they are at least respectful about it).
Bylaws generally require a majority of the association to change. I think mine requires 2/3 approval. If they were changed, there has to be a record of it. BOD's have been known to just change things because they want to. Bylaws and CC&Rs are attached top the property title and are legally binding.

Disclamer: I am not a lawyer and am not giving legal advise and am not an asshat
I'm sure there was, but they weren't at all helpful. With 10,000 homes and counting it isn't hard for them to get the required majority due to those that don't read/care and just mail in a yes vote. Also townhomes are in the minority (yet we pay a higher fee???) And those without garages even less so on something that benefits garage owners and screws the rest is going to be lopsided.

JayG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by JayG » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:42 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:16 pm BULLSHIT.
JayG wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:36 pm Disclamer: I am not a lawyer and am not giving legal advise and am not an asshat
which part? :lol:
2004 Boxster S 6 speed - DRL relay hack, Polaris AutoTop DIY (sold)
2004 996 Targa Tip
2020 BMW X3 Xdrive, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:48 pm

JayG wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:36 pm I am not a lawyer

IANAL

466353-quagmire.jpg
466353-quagmire.jpg (22.41 KiB) Viewed 2204 times
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:32 pm

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:48 pm
JayG wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:36 pm I am not a lawyer

I ANAL

466353-quagmire.jpg
Ummm... Ok... What happens in Vegas I guess???

JayG

Post by JayG » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:12 am

gnat wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:20 pm
JayG wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:36 pm

Bylaws generally require a majority of the association to change. I think mine requires 2/3 approval. If they were changed, there has to be a record of it. BOD's have been known to just change things because they want to. Bylaws and CC&Rs are attached to the property title and are legally binding.

Disclamer: I am not a lawyer and am not giving legal advise and am not an asshat
I'm sure there was, but they weren't at all helpful. With 10,000 homes and counting it isn't hard for them to get the required majority due to those that don't read/care and just mail in a yes vote. Also townhomes are in the minority (yet we pay a higher fee???) And those without garages even less so on something that benefits garage owners and screws the rest is going to be lopsided.
Wow, 10k + homes? That is a huge HOA.
If you don't like the "new" bylaws, ask for the info on when they were changed

what about reporting the "illegal" renters to the HOA?
2004 996 Targa Tip

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:24 am

JayG wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:12 am
gnat wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:20 pm

Yeah the development was only supposed to last 10 years and be about 2500 homes. 25 years later and it is still growing, though they are finally boxed in on all sides so they'll run out of space in the next few years.

When the rules were changed is irrelevant. It was done and there is nothing that can be done since there is no way to form a large enough majority to change it back in my favor.

This HOA is run like every other HOA of size in the world. It's all who you know that determines if they will do anything for you. Since I try to keep to myself and not bother anyone I by definition do not have the right connections. I also don't know if there is anything in the bylaws about renting like they are doing. It's a county ordinance that says it is illegal for more than one distinct family to live in a house designed for a single family. There are also limits to the number of people that can live in a house based on it's size (next door, for example, there are 9 in a 1700sqft house).

JayG

Post by JayG » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:29 am

gnat wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:24 am
JayG wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:12 am

Yeah the development was only supposed to last 10 years and be about 2500 homes. 25 years later and it is still growing, though they are finally boxed in on all sides so they'll run out of space in the next few years.

When the rules were changed is irrelevant. It was done and there is nothing that can be done since there is no way to form a large enough majority to change it back in my favor.

This HOA is run like every other HOA of size in the world. It's all who you know that determines if they will do anything for you. Since I try to keep to myself and not bother anyone I by definition do not have the right connections. I also don't know if there is anything in the bylaws about renting like they are doing. It's a county ordinance that says it is illegal for more than one distinct family to live in a house designed for a single family. There are also limits to the number of people that can live in a house based on it's size (next door, for example, there are 9 in a 1700sqft house).
I feel your pain and not wanting to be a jerk about the renters.

The point I was making on the bylaw change, was: was it in fact legally changed. There are very specific rules that mustbe followed to make a bylaw change.
I agree that it would be a big uphill battle to get it changed now
Last edited by JayG on Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
2004 996 Targa Tip

ipman
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by ipman » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:58 am

There is a saying, "change your hood or change your hood" . (actually I heard it for "job" not "hood" initially, but it still applies). Or move to the country with some land and elbow room.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:10 am

ipman wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:58 am There is a saying, "change your hood or change your hood" . (actually I heard it for "job" not "hood" initially, but it still applies). Or move to the country with some land and elbow room.
Yeah we looked at that in 2009 and things happened. Now with a kid in school moving is a bit more complicated (I moved around a lot as a military kid and that had some pretty negative side effects in my schooling). While my parents meant to do well by me by moving us to more rural areas, that also had some negatives that I'd rather not inflict on my kids too.

And in this area finding somewhere that isn't 2+ hours away (without traffic) that doesn't have a HOA is effectively impossible (either it's trash or way outside our price range).

I've outlasted all my previous neighbors (I became the last original owner in my immediate area 5 years or so ago) and I'm sure I'll outlast these too.

Having to figure out what to do with the BMW is annoying, but it will be nice to feel like I can leave the house and not worry about having to carry a kid/groceries/whatever a block in the rain when I get home because some prick didn't see a problem parking in front of someone's house that they aren't visiting. I will have the tow company on speed dial and I'm sure I'll get a couple of the ones across the street at least the first week or so ;)