Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by gnat » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:14 am

32wildbilly wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:05 am Can you GOLD plate plastic?
There are options...

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:22 am

gnat wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:14 am
32wildbilly wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:05 am Can you GOLD plate plastic?
There are options...
Bingo! I knew you would know.
Never gonna make you cry...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:34 am

I really want to put a set of these on it, but the $6k+ price tag has always kept me away. Was gonna use the diesel settlement money for them, but still have never pulled the trigger. Insurance isn't going to pay out enough on that wheel to make a difference, but maybe it's time...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:41 am

PSA: If you buy a Porsche new, don't get a wild hair to amortize the purchase price over the life of ownership (even if you've had it for 18 years). It's depressing.

Though at least the 996 is worth more than that calculated value. Her 12yr old BMW, on the other hand, has a value less than it's amortized cost. There is just nothing appealing about that damn car!

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:53 am

gnat wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:41 am PSA: If you buy a Porsche new, don't get a wild hair to amortize the purchase price over the life of ownership (even if you've had it for 18 years). It's depressing.

Though at least the 996 is worth more than that calculated value. Her 12yr old BMW, on the other hand, has a value less than it's amortized cost. There is just nothing appealing about that damn car!
Did you run the numbers on the 958?
Never gonna make you cry...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:20 am

32wildbilly wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:53 am
gnat wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:41 am PSA: If you buy a Porsche new, don't get a wild hair to amortize the purchase price over the life of ownership (even if you've had it for 18 years). It's depressing.

Did you run the numbers on the 958?
That's where my excursion into lunacy started. Currently around $8700/year (or it will be in Oct). 996 is about $5700/year (as of March). Oddly I feel better about the P!g's number than I do about the 996's. Not sure why...

POS BMW is at $3300/year and NADA says that even if I polish that turd up really well it's still only worth about $3100 :roll: (though to be fair, it would be a hell of a car to pick up for $3100)

Kalashnikov
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by Kalashnikov » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:51 am

I believe top end BMWs, Mercedes, and Land Rover cars compete for highest depreciating vehicles around. The out of warranty repair costs for newer versions are out of this world expensive.

I got interested in a F10 550i and M5, because they seemed so cheap for the miles. Forums slaughtered them on reliability. To verify, I drove to local BMW expert shop. They told me to stay away at all costs.

It makes perfect sense if you consider how complicated those newer cars are.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:06 am

Yeah thats true of just about all cars these days really (high cost of repair).

I don't like the thing, but it has actually been a pretty solid car. Out of warranty (8yrs) it's lost a couple of window regulators, the washer jet pump, got a leak in the passenger door, but that's it (well, it has ticking lifters too, but we're opting to ignore it). I also proactively replaced the water pump rather than go through the mess of waiting for it to fail. Under warranty the stereo got replaced due to the LCD going out (which it has again), steering wheel was replaced due to that soft touch crap peeling (it did again and has all rubbed off now), and the xDrive controller shit itself the last week of the warranty.

My complaints are that the original 40k felt way over priced, the interior is terrible, the ride was shit until we replaced the runflats with normal tires (the ride is better, but still not great), and overall it's just uninspiring.

It has been a solid enough car that I was going to get the X5 diesel, but Porsche dropped the Cayenne diesel while I was still deciding and that was the end of that.

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:19 pm

Damn gnat, I'm just catching up after a hectic end to my work week. Happy to read that the Pig did its job and your family is safe. Looking forward to a happy resolution for you.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:35 am

DTMiller wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:22 pm So the AC in the Acadia isn't cold. The internet tells me the AutoZone recharge things are bad but that seems weird. Are they bad?

This has been random internet car talk.
UPDATE!

Decided to give the AC Pro a chance as calls to various shops gave me estimated appointment dates of sometime after the apocalypse and it's 90s this week. Worst part was accessing the low pressure access port on an acadia which is located where no fully grown adult man's hand can reach. My wife was just barely able to get here hand in there to hook it up. Took it for a test drive and it's cold.

So the issue is clearly the refrigerant; hopefully the system stays sufficiently sealed and that will be that. For $35 and 15 minutes of our time, worth a shot.
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor
June 16, 2017 Funland GoKart Champion (6:13 p.m. main event)
Willing to risk life for track time