Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Dgi 07
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by Dgi 07 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:26 pm

Keep fighting the good fight !
5chn3ll wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:48 am ...an eternity of being sodomized by a giant phallus made of crushed, reformed ghost peppers.

Groovzilla

Post by Groovzilla » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:33 pm

great news!! very happy for you and your wife!
2005 997 S - Atlas grey w/Full black leather

TheDeckMan

Post by TheDeckMan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:11 am

Great to hear!
996TT - Widowmaker Project -RWD, UMW Tune, H&R RSS, Phenix Engineering Control Arms/LCA's, GT3 6 Pistons, SpeedTech 3" X-Pipe, Ported Headers, 997 GT3 Shifter, GT3 Buckets, GT2 Clutch/PP, GT2RS IC's, RSS Roll Bar, GT3 Brake Ducts, Joe Toth Aero/Ducts, Champion Thrust Arms
997TT - LSD, Chrono , UMW Tune, DSC, Phenix Engineering Toe Links & LCA Bushings, Tubi Race, 3" eRams, 964RS Engine Mounts
Audi TT Track Car
Corrado SLC
https://phenixengineering.com/

TCC

Post by TCC » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:54 am

32wildbilly wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:58 pm
ElSchnell wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:32 pm My lovely wife posted this on her social media today. It really IS a Good Week for This Guy.
-----
15 years ago my husband was diagnosed with cancer. Due to a mix-up at the doctor's office, we learned of the diagnosis from an intern who was calling to schedule his surgery. He was given 6 months to live. Life stopped. Then only moved in slow motion for months afterwards. Amazingly, 6 months has turned into 15 years. Today was his annual check up and he was given the all clear for another year. It is a joyous feeling. We rolled up our sleeves and sucker punched cancer and do it every day as it can return. I am more grateful for each day, I reflect on my blessings more often and I think of you who are fighting the battle right now. Hang in there and keep fighting.

Congratulations, and thank you for fighting.
Mr. Schnell that is so awesome. Keep living those days like you want. Life can be short. It should enjoyed. Glad for you I am! Thanks for what you do for this band of misfits. You are appreciated.
That's great to hear. Although....it could be that no one wanted you, either up above...or down below... That being the case, you'll likely be with us for an extended time.

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:29 am

TCC with the strong opening bid.

Anyway, it's been 4 months since the RV was damaged by some wind and the repair shop originally guessed at the parts and you're not going to fucking believe this, but they got it wrong. That was discovered on the 15th. Today they asked the insurance company for permission to order the correct parts. What took 8 days to determine the right parts? HellifIknow. Dad joke time: What do you get if you cross and elephant and a rhinocerous? Hellifiknow.

Has this guy been telling me all along I'd have my rig back in plenty of time for my trip next week? Oh, sure, you betcha. Do I want to kick myself in the face for putting any belief into what this guy said? Oh, sure, you betcha.
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor
June 16, 2017 Funland GoKart Champion (6:13 p.m. main event)
Willing to risk life for track time

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:55 am

Caliber held my Jeep up for a week "ordering" a missing part - an oversized washer used to hold the spare tire down. When I told them I wanted the car back, I also took the time to re-stow the spare, jack, and jack handle. Turns out that when you store the spare correctly, as depicted ON THE LAMINATED INSTRUCTIONS, you don't need the non-existent washer.

I feel your pain.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:04 am

RVs always double the fun when it's time for repairs or modifications.

Dad just replaced his Escape with a Jeep (apparently one of the few things still made that can be flat towed...).

Took 3 attempts for them to get everything installed and hooked up correct which of course delayed a trip.

The best being that one of the failed attempts included them somehow disabling the rear brakes on the RV. Thankfully my dad figured out that it wasn't acting correctly before he got out of the parking lot rather than when the 28' behemoth had a good amount of momentum from road speed behind it :o

Flat6BlahBlah

Post by Flat6BlahBlah » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:52 am

ElSchnell wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:55 am Caliber held my Jeep up for a week "ordering" a missing part - an oversized washer used to hold the spare tire down. When I told them I wanted the car back, I also took the time to re-stow the spare, jack, and jack handle. Turns out that when you store the spare correctly, as depicted ON THE LAMINATED INSTRUCTIONS, you don't need the non-existent washer.

I feel your pain.
What you guys consider pain, I'd gladly call pleasure. My red Turbro was hit last July 22nd. It went to a Caliber in San Diego county the first week of August. Weeks later I was informed that they had certified Porsche guys at their Costa Mesa location in Orange County, so I gave them permission to flatbed it there. I FINALLY got it back after 101 excuses on... wait for it... January 5th 2018! And the real kicker? The frunk didn't operate. It had chips in the paint in places that weren't there when it went in. The a/c didn't work after they replaced the condensers. The lower front suspension shields weren't fastened and were touching the ground before I got it home. The laser jammer somehow went 'missing' while at their shop and was replaced, but isn't working correctly. Several lug nuts went 'missing' and were replaced with ones that don't match. It has electrical issues that it never had prior to the accident that are still unresolved. And those are just the items that I can think of off the top of my head. I drove the car for one month before giving it back and... it's still fvcking there weeks after returning it to fix what should've been completed before handing me back my keys in the first place! Caliber is where you go if you want frustration as a side order to your main course of misery. Their only, and I mean ONLY saving grace, is that the panels fit perfectly and the paint match is spot-on.

But, hey, none of the above is cancer. So there's that. Glad to hear you're healthy, 5CHN3LLY!

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:21 am

Time wise I feel your pain. Pretty much any time one of our cars goes into our guy, it's 6 months.

Your experience is why I put no stock in "Certified" shops. Doesn't mean squat :x

My guy actually specializes in Jag and LR, but his shop does excellent work. Been using him for 20 years now and only once had any complaints about any work. To this day he contends that it wasn't his fault, but he still stepped up and took care of it without a fight.

My rules for good body work:
1) Ignore dealer and insurance recommendations, talk to people with similar cars to get their recommendations.
2) When you find a good shop, stick with them and make sure you pass it on to others in need.

Kalashnikov

Post by Kalashnikov » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:33 pm

Those stories are depressing. And you always end up getting fucked by the shop. When your car is disassembled in their garage, you can't do shit. No recourse.

And as a rule, shit will almost always be messed up when you get the car back. My two years working in the dealerships (not small ones, huge regional dealers:SF Honda, and City Toyota) taught me to never ever trust your car to them.

Ironically, the most difficult mechanical jobs have highest chance of getting done right as they would be assigned to old Master tech guys, easy jobs go to young dumb fucks.