Racetrack Stuff

DTMiller
"Special"

Racetrack Stuff

Post by DTMiller » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:36 am

Decided to start a global thread on racetrack stuff. Track prep questions, how do I get on track, why is my instructor an asshole (spoiler: he's me), track videos and trip reports, etc.

Gonna start with a couple videos I'm currently pretty proud of and which I will look back at and cringe like crazy at in 9 months when I am 2-3 seconds faster. First, VIR. My reference goal for VIR full is an instructor Oleg, a crazy Russian dude who races spec miata and has a pretty similar car to mine. His car is one of the few cars out there that mine is faster than on the straights despite his higher cornering speeds, so I should be able to match his times with better cornering techniques. I'm not terribly far off, especially at a big track like VIR. His best laps are in the 2:22s; I'm in the 2:23s. Here he is:

And here's me:

Next up is my home track, Summit Point Main. Here Oleg is running 1:29s, which is actually quite a bit ahead of me at this track, where I run 1:30s. His cornering speeds are quite a bit above mine showing that I have some room to improve. Note, however, that he's not running the same car as the VIR video, this is a 2003 NB version Miata with more power and his straight away speeds are comparable. In the VIR car I'd venture his times would be closer to mine at SP just because of the speed differentials. But there are some things for me to learn here. Oleg:

Me:
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor
June 16, 2017 Funland GoKart Champion (6:13 p.m. main event)
Willing to risk life for track time

DTMiller
"Special"

Re: Racetrack Stuff

Post by DTMiller » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:38 am

This is also the thread where I berate gnat for not bringing his car out to Friday at the Track: https://www.motorsportreg.com/orgs/summit-point where I can be his instructor and he can actually enjoy his car. Or make it look like this:
IMG_20130806_193501.jpg
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:14 am

While capable on the track my "car" isn't really the best thing for it. Not really looking to need a new set of tires after a single day like I did after AutoX.

I suppose, however, it could be fun chasing you down and just running over top of you with the P!g if you don't point by :P

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:30 am

gnat wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:14 am While capable on the track my "car" isn't really the best thing for it. Not really looking to need a new set of tires after a single day like I did after AutoX.

I suppose, however, it could be fun chasing you down and just running over top of you with the P!g if you don't point by :P
You wouldn't need new tires after a single day. You just wouldn't.

As for the idea in that second paragraph, I mean...
1997 MX-5 track car

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:40 am

DTMiller wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:30 am You wouldn't need new tires after a single day. You just wouldn't.
Hard cornering on high profile all weather tires in a 5500lb vehicle does not treat tires nicely :lol:

Honestly though, I didn't replace them for another 2 years as the edges and sides looked terrible but they were actually in good shape. I did get tired of having to always explain that YES I know they look like that, YES I know why they look like that, NO there is no alignment issue, and NO they do not need to be replaced. The worst was the state inspections: "we can't pass these tires" "why not?" "look at them" "what is the regulation?" "tread depth" "and how is that?" "oh you've got plenty" "then what is the problem?" "..."
As for the idea in that second paragraph, I mean...
Yeah you're probably right. I would after all need to be in the fastest run group...

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:11 am

Listen dumb dumb, bring the 911.
1997 MX-5 track car

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:18 am

I'll pass. We know what you do with 911s on the track :o

Besides, right now I believe I am theoretically a damn good race driver. I see absolutely no reason to potentially damage a perfectly good theory!

Slakker
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by Slakker » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:14 am

Made a little trip to Atlanta this weekend. 2 more projects.
CF88F324-66BF-42A4-BF9C-D4C9BC90FB80.jpeg

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:57 am

Tractor will be next.

BTW Good to see you here! What plans do you have for those two??
Never gonna make you cry...

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:11 am

Slakker knows what time it is.
1997 MX-5 track car