Fogged up light

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Fogged up light

Post by gnat » Mon May 18, 2020 2:42 pm

So of course after getting the P!g back from the shop one of it's turn signal bars starts fogging up (interestingly the same light did this back in 2014 after I did the bumper swap. That light was replaced and has been fine until now). Unfortunately due to multiple idiotic design decisions by Porsche*, you can't swap the bar without removing the bumper which is a $300+ job by itself (new light lists for $385) as simple as the 996.

There is not enough water in it yet to pool, but it is getting worse (started out as just a bit of fog towards the bottom right, but not pretty much the whole lens is covered). From what I can tell I think there is an area on the top left that isn't sealing like it should (looks different than the other light).

My thought was to drill some holes to let it drain and let some air move through, but the bottom of the light is black plastic so I don't know if I'd be drilling through something important in the process (I think is it an empty area down there, but I don't want to bet $600 on it). I tried Rennlist (dammit) to see if anyone just happened to have a junk signal bar I could dissect, but I haven't heard back in over a week. I also tried DC Auto and while it turns out that they have what I need, but they want $100 for it (cause they can apparently get a core value for it) which seems steep for something that isn't working and I want to destroy further.

Anyone have any other ideas about how to defog a supposedly sealed light without removing it from the vehicle?

Warning: Rant follows. Highlight to see it (you may not want to).

Fucking Porsche

So the first time this happened, the part was covered, but not the labor. So I spent most of a day determined to find a way to change the light bar without having to remove the bumper. Looking at it, it looks like it should be simple. Pop out the headlight (something Porsche got right and made super easy just like on the 996!) and it's right there under the headlight's platform. So pull the platform out and you should have plenty of room to work.

I identify 6 or 9 (I don't remember any more) bolts holding the platform in place. Of course only some are accessible from the headlight cavity. The rest require removing parts of the engine bay trim and wheel well.

After going through all that hassle I remove the last bolt and triumphantly reach in to pull out the platform. Only it doesn't budge, I must have missed some bolts. I spend another 20 minutes working my fingers all over all the blind areas looking for the bolts I had to have missed. Nothing. I look some more. Still nothing. WTF?!?

I start looking closer and it turns out the fuckers welded the platform in place. WTF are the bolts for if you welded the part in place???

Fucking Porsche

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Re: Fogged up light

Post by FRUNKenstein » Mon May 18, 2020 3:09 pm

In your title, you misspelled "f*cked"
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon May 18, 2020 4:55 pm

gnat wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 2:42 pm
Warning: Rant follows. Highlight to see it (you may not want to).

Fucking Porsche

So the first time this happened, the part was covered, but not the labor. So I spent most of a day determined to find a way to change the light bar without having to remove the bumper. Looking at it, it looks like it should be simple. Pop out the headlight (something Porsche got right and made super easy just like on the 996!) and it's right there under the headlight's platform. So pull the platform out and you should have plenty of room to work.

I identify 6 or 9 (I don't remember any more) bolts holding the platform in place. Of course only some are accessible from the headlight cavity. The rest require removing parts of the engine bay trim and wheel well.

After going through all that hassle I remove the last bolt and triumphantly reach in to pull out the platform. Only it doesn't budge, I must have missed some bolts. I spend another 20 minutes working my fingers all over all the blind areas looking for the bolts I had to have missed. Nothing. I look some more. Still nothing. WTF?!?

I start looking closer and it turns out the fuckers welded the platform in place. WTF are the bolts for if you welded the part in place???

Fucking Porsche
Das ist aber schade mein Herr! Sie werden den Stoßfänger abnehmen und es mögen! Verdammter Porsche!

Porsche engineers nobody understands why they do what they do...and that situation sux!
Never gonna make you cry...

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed May 20, 2020 8:24 am

ic.jpg
ic.jpg (8.92 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
FRUNKenstein wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 3:09 pm In your title, you misspelled "f*cked"

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

Cuda911
Possum Hauler

Post by Cuda911 » Wed May 20, 2020 10:09 am

In deinem Titel hast du falsch geschrieben, dass du ist gefickt.
Mike

'68 Ford Custom 500; '70 Plymouth Cuda; '71 Ford Econoline; 73 Porsche 914 1.7, '74 Porsche 914 1.8; '74 Suzuki TC185; '86 Suzuki GS450L; '88 Subaru GL104WD Turbo Ltd Edn;; '88 Subaru XT; '91 Lexus ES250; '93 Jeep Wrangler, '99 Porsche Boxster, '03 Turbo VW Beetle; '03 Porsche Boxster; '03 Porsche Carrera C2; '07 Porsche Cayman, '11 BMW 328i, '12 Porsche 991 S, '14 Porsche Cayman, & a mishmash of other vehicles.

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed May 20, 2020 10:11 am

dbze0sn-287c78fc-fdd2-42af-83b9-4fd6f196bf2c.png
dbze0sn-287c78fc-fdd2-42af-83b9-4fd6f196bf2c.png (389.7 KiB) Viewed 2037 times

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.