Racetrack Stuff

trailbrake996
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: Racetrack Stuff

Post by trailbrake996 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:42 pm

pfbz wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:41 pm
Clearly the Boxsta' had some skills and etiquette issues and was slow as hell in the corners.

It's kind of hard to tell the whole story from an in car video, but couldn't you of backed off a bit before the last turns into the straights/passing zones, had a much higher exit speed than you did while just following him through those corners and used that speed differential at the start of the straight to get by him if/when he pointed you by even when he stayed on the throttle?

Of course he should have lifted, but he clearly liked to show off his horsepower advantage in the straights.

Also, the two finger, in car signal you give at about 2:36, "I signal the car behind me that a point by is coming at the next safe place"... Is that something you teach at your regions DE events? I've never seen that before.
First question - you're spot on...if we were racing. In a DE you have to prioritize safety over everything else. In a racing scenario this would be a non-issue because I'd simply blow by this guy like he's standing still. Even though he has a PDK, mid engine layout, massive brakes, torque vector steering, etc... it is trivial to see this driver's weaknesses and just beat him to an apex. Simple. In a DE a safe driver needs to be defensive and overly careful.

DT answered your second question - it's just a simple way to acknowledge to a driver that you will let them by at the next safe time. Not required but helpful. In this case, I knew the driver behind me and was just giving him a courtesy wave.
2003 Arctic Silver Metallic C2
Manual, FVD Motorsports Oil Pan, X74, FVD 200 Cell X-Pipe Cats, Fister exhaust, low-temp thermostat, assorted LN goodies, Tranzit Blu HF

1996 Midnight Blue C2
Manual, PSS10, H&R Sways, Rennline Mounts, FDM Golden Rod

PCA Member & National HPDE Instructor

Cuda911
Possum Hauler

Post by Cuda911 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:56 pm

DTMiller wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:23 pm Tap the mirror/wave in the middle of the car is a more and more common signal in DEs to reduce impatience. It says I see you and I'm going to point you by, don't try to get in the trunk so I see you.
Indeed. I nearly always do the mirror tap, 'specially when a GT3 is on my butt. Pisses me off, though, if I catch him at the next corner.
Mike

'68 Ford Custom 500; '70 Plymouth Cuda; '71 Ford Econoline; 73 Porsche 914 1.7, '74 Porsche 914 1.8; '74 Suzuki TC185; '86 Suzuki GS450L; '88 Subaru GL104WD Turbo Ltd Edn;; '88 Subaru XT; '91 Lexus ES250; '93 Jeep Wrangler, '99 Porsche Boxster, '03 Turbo VW Beetle; '03 Porsche Boxster; '03 Porsche Carrera C2; '07 Porsche Cayman, '11 BMW 328i, '12 Porsche 991 S, '14 Porsche Cayman, & a mishmash of other vehicles.

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:34 pm

In boxste's defense, there is an advanced run group school of thought (which I don't particularly like unless I know them well) that the best approach isn't to lift but to brake sooner and/or harder to allow the pass. I'd rather see a lift so I can enter the corner on line and go because that's where my advantage almost certainly lies but there are some who think that's the best way. But there was lots of other crap on that video he did very poorly so I'm not inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt, really.
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor
June 16, 2017 Funland GoKart Champion (6:13 p.m. main event)
Willing to risk life for track time

pfbz

Post by pfbz » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:10 pm

I'll keep the mirror tap thing in mind for my next open track day or DE... I've never noticed it being used around here but sounds like a good signal. I usually keep a good eye out for approaching faster lap traffic and am ready to let them go as soon as we hit the zone, but I guess that's a good way of letting them know early to expect it.

Fortunately though my local track (High Plains Raceway) seems to do a pretty good job absorbing cars without bunching up to much and has two or three (depending on who's running the show) very good point-to-pass straights.

Years ago, I tracked an s2000 on a technical track (the now defunct Second Creek Raceway). It certainly hones your appreciation for getting by slower cars (by lap time) that have far more horsepower and speed down the straights.

Not as much of a problem with the Turbo :o

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:21 pm

gnat wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:30 pm
pfbz wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:05 pm Full-race mode, not DE, but this vid shows what might have happened to that Boxster racing to the corner from the outside...

The whole video is cool, but skip to about 6 minutes for the interesting part.

Holy crap! That didn't look like a significant hit at all. Certainly nothing to equate to what happened :o

I was wondering the whole time "what is with all the 996s? Don't they know they are going to blow up?", so I guess something like that should have been expected :mrgreen:
They get a little "light" in the corners, apparently. Dumbass turned down on the guy on inside...should have taken a ride.!
Never gonna make you cry...

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:49 pm

VIR on Saturday. Remember christmas week as a kid? It's like that.
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:23 am

Ok, a couple videos, first one of a full lap. Tell me what you think I can improve. Looking for feedback.

This one is just fun. The Ferrari is probably a $350,000+ car? Sharing the uphill esses with a $5,000 car.

1997 MX-5 track car

Cuda911
Possum Hauler

Post by Cuda911 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:35 pm

DTMiller wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:23 am Ok, a couple videos, first one of a full lap. Tell me what you think I can improve. Looking for feedback.

Looks like a fun track!!! Some long straights and some great twisty sections. Your lines looked pretty good.
piratenanner.gif
piratenanner.gif (1.85 KiB) Viewed 3299 times
Mike

'68 Ford Custom 500; '70 Plymouth Cuda; '71 Ford Econoline; 73 Porsche 914 1.7, '74 Porsche 914 1.8; '74 Suzuki TC185; '86 Suzuki GS450L; '88 Subaru GL104WD Turbo Ltd Edn;; '88 Subaru XT; '91 Lexus ES250; '93 Jeep Wrangler, '99 Porsche Boxster, '03 Turbo VW Beetle; '03 Porsche Boxster; '03 Porsche Carrera C2; '07 Porsche Cayman, '11 BMW 328i, '12 Porsche 991 S, '14 Porsche Cayman, & a mishmash of other vehicles.

trailbrake996

Post by trailbrake996 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:56 am

DTMiller wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:23 am Ok, a couple videos, first one of a full lap. Tell me what you think I can improve. Looking for feedback.

This one is just fun. The Ferrari is probably a $350,000+ car? Sharing the uphill esses with a $5,000 car.

First impression is that I need to get a Miata. There's no way I could stay in the throttle in some of those spots in my 996!

Impressions on driving are tough without a throttle/brake indicator or speed trace of some sort, but based on the video it looks like you're doing a good job carrying a bit of brake pressure in to the apex's and getting on the gas good and early. Hand position/motion looks fantastic. You're not sawing at the wheel and when you do need to counter-steer a bit you do it with no drama. It's hard to tell where you're looking - in a few turns it looks like you're eyes/head are pivoting way early (which is good) toward reference points...however in some of the slower turns it seems like you may be able to improve vision a bit. That being said it's very hard to tell in the video so I could be way way off.

Last impression, I need to get to VIR.
2003 Arctic Silver Metallic C2
Manual, FVD Motorsports Oil Pan, X74, FVD 200 Cell X-Pipe Cats, Fister exhaust, low-temp thermostat, assorted LN goodies, Tranzit Blu HF

1996 Midnight Blue C2
Manual, PSS10, H&R Sways, Rennline Mounts, FDM Golden Rod

PCA Member & National HPDE Instructor

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:39 pm

trailbrake996 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:56 am

First impression is that I need to get a Miata. There's no way I could stay in the throttle in some of those spots in my 996!

Impressions on driving are tough without a throttle/brake indicator or speed trace of some sort, but based on the video it looks like you're doing a good job carrying a bit of brake pressure in to the apex's and getting on the gas good and early. Hand position/motion looks fantastic. You're not sawing at the wheel and when you do need to counter-steer a bit you do it with no drama. It's hard to tell where you're looking - in a few turns it looks like you're eyes/head are pivoting way early (which is good) toward reference points...however in some of the slower turns it seems like you may be able to improve vision a bit. That being said it's very hard to tell in the video so I could be way way off.

Last impression, I need to get to VIR.
Come to the dark side! It's cheaper over here and still tons of fun.

Thanks for the comments. I think you are probably dead on with the vision comment. First event in four months and I don't have a ton of days at VIR. Results in being a little less confident and eyes dropping some. When I am driving really well my helmet turns about 3-4 seconds ahead of the car.

I do have a speedometer on the video, 97 Miata obd doesn't send brake or throttle position reliably so I don't display it on the videos.

And yes, VIR is a must visit for any track fan. It has a little of everything and is a first class facility in every respect.
1997 MX-5 track car