The Hunt

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Re: The Hunt

Post by FRUNKenstein » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:00 am

best-selling author, occasional Gitmo AirBNB guest, and internationally-renowned automotive fashion consultant John Ireland wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:29 am I took advice given here and passed on the manual trans...though it sounds like a wonderful car. And you just don't know what a car really is until you drive it. And then you still have many surprises waiting for you.

I talked to a place that does tons of Porsche tips. They gave me a ballpark quote of just over $300 for the trans rear mount, and 1 to 2 hours labor to install it. So far they seem to know more about it than anyone I've talked to...including the seller of the car and the guy I'm considering to do the usual maintenance. And the trans place also warned me that it could be internal...even though my description of driving the car leans toward the mount.

So if I move on the white tip that I've been moaning and groaning about loving, I'll back in my budget area, even after replacing the mount, and have a couple of grand to throw at anything routine that comes along. I sent an email to the seller detailing my intentions and I'm waiting to hear back from him.

You never know what you are buying until its too late. But at least with a car I have driven, I know that much about how the steering feels and the suspension feels, and the alignment, and I have physically touched the rotors and felt how they work under hard and soft application, and it has new tires and fluids and filters and an AOS...etc.

Yes, the third gear in a manual gives you a lot of spread for shooting out the window with your free hand...but going from stop to a hundred and trying to shake zombies off the hood while shooting and reloading a 1911 .45 auto...the tip will be more practical.

Now I just have to wait for the guy to call back.
Good luck. Even though it is summertime, it does seem like the Covid-19 crisis has made it more of a buyer's market.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

JohnIreland

Post by JohnIreland » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:21 pm

I'm back in the manual trans market. Reason #1. I started evaluating the costs of working on a tip vs manual. The tip requires taking out the engine and trans in order to get at the guts of the tip. That's a lot more money than just changing a syncro gear in a manual. Reason #2. Why am I talking myself into the grave? If someone came up and offered me a 246 Dino or a Dino 308gt4, I would not be complaining that I'm too old to drive one. I wouldn't even be complaining about driving them in LA traffic. The wood still works...no more talk about getting old. Enjoy the pleasure of driving a 996 in its purest form.

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:39 am

best-selling author, occasional Gitmo AirBNB guest, and internationally-renowned automotive fashion consultant John Ireland wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:21 pm I'm back in the manual trans market. Reason #1. I started evaluating the costs of working on a tip vs manual. The tip requires taking out the engine and trans in order to get at the guts of the tip. That's a lot more money than just changing a syncro gear in a manual. Reason #2. Why am I talking myself into the grave? If someone came up and offered me a 246 Dino or a Dino 308gt4, I would not be complaining that I'm too old to drive one. I wouldn't even be complaining about driving them in LA traffic. The wood still works...no more talk about getting old. Enjoy the pleasure of driving a 996 in its purest form.
LONG LIVE TRUE MANUAL! I've personally be able to own two manual Porsches and the experience is second to none. Obviously, the shift is never going to be as fast as a tiptronic or pdk, but true manual makes you feel more connected to the engine. Almost like being on the edge and realizing it's up to you to stay alive. Pushing the engine to redline is part of the thrill.

Cue Kenny Loggins - Danger Zone...

On the flip side, my wife really wants our next Porsche experience to be one that she can also enjoy... that means (sniffle) ... automatic. :D

Battery Guy

Post by Battery Guy » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:51 pm

On the flip side, my wife really wants our next Porsche experience to be one that she can also enjoy... that means (sniffle) ... automatic. :D

It is technically possible to train your wife to drive a stick. My will (very occasionally) drive the Porsche. She likes it when the top is down. More important she tells people it is a really easy stick to drive.
Daryll
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black
No Options!! (How did that happen??)

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:52 pm

b3freak wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:39 am LONG LIVE TRUE MANUAL! I've personally be able to own two manual Porsches and the experience is second to none. Obviously, the shift is never going to be as fast as a tiptronic or pdk, but true manual makes you feel more connected to the engine. Almost like being on the edge and realizing it's up to you to stay alive. Pushing the engine to redline is part of the thrill.

Cue Kenny Loggins - Danger Zone...

As my S-3 Viking squadron mates used to say “We are living life at the tip of the spoon, baby!”
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

JohnIreland

Post by JohnIreland » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:23 pm

Well two more bite the dust. I drove a white 2001 coupe with manual yesterday...lots of good mechanical stuff about it...everything felt good. But there were lots of little details that just turned me against the car. A serious blemish on the front hood that needs a repaint, plus it appears that the bumper had been respray but with the wrong white. Then the sun roof was non-op, a seat bag light was on, and the inside of the rear window has this odd film that was peeling off, it needed an alignment. Plus...he didn't have all his paper work...said the big bills were at his mechanic's. All these little things that made me feel the seller wasn't paying attention to the car. And so I said no.
00m0m_9N7gK6FD1yj_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
00m0m_9N7gK6FD1yj_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg (190.61 KiB) Viewed 1942 times
Then today, I found a car...99 manual, 76k miles, up in San Francisco. No stereotyping...but it was purple. Actually Metallic Blue Violet according to the color charts. A very rare color...and I thought, well if the rest of the car is good, I could live with that. They'd sure make room for me at cars and coffee.
purp8.jpg
purp8.jpg (430.48 KiB) Viewed 1942 times

But they were asking $21k and had no service records. I was ready get on a plane tomorrow morning and fly up to see it, but they wouldn't budge on price and I had a list of thing it would need (not counting an IMS) if they couldn't give me a service history...brake flush and maybe pads, oil and filter, alignment and balance, serpentine belt, air filter, etc., and I wanted them to knock another thousand off for the color. I would give them $18k cash. But they said they had lots of interest and they wouldn't come down any.

I always loved black, but my 2003 was impossible to keep clean and so I'm trying to avoid going back there. And yes silver is a very good color, but my wife's 1985 RX7 was silver and she hated it because every other blonde in town had one just like it. Etc., etc. The white Tip is still out there waiting for me to make an offer, but I'm not sure I really want to be worrying over an automatic transmission with 107k miles on it. I didn't have good luck with Tip the last time.

The chase continues.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:22 pm

best-selling author, occasional Gitmo AirBNB guest, and internationally-renowned automotive fashion consultant John Ireland wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:23 pm No stereotyping...but it was purple. Actually Metallic Blue Violet according to the color charts. A very rare color...and I thought, well if the rest of the car is good, I could live with that.
Don't knock it until you've seen it in person. It's one of the colors that does not photograph well. Pics just don't do the color justice.

JohnIreland

Post by JohnIreland » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:06 am

I was ready to buy it...if the car drove well, I was ready to drive it home. But they are strong on price right now, and I'm looking at...a black car...close to home.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:34 am

gnat wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:22 pm
best-selling author, occasional Gitmo AirBNB guest, and internationally-renowned automotive fashion consultant John Ireland wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:23 pm No stereotyping...but it was purple. Actually Metallic Blue Violet according to the color charts. A very rare color...and I thought, well if the rest of the car is good, I could live with that.
Don't knock it until you've seen it in person. It's one of the colors that does not photograph well. Pics just don't do the color justice.
I agree on that color. It looks great especially in sunlight.
Never gonna make you cry...

JohnIreland

Post by JohnIreland » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:27 pm

So this is what I am seeing on Sunday. My brother-in-law is going with me in the expectation that he'll drive my Alfa Giulia home, and I'll be right with him in this. 99, sold new in mid 99 so probably not a 98 build date. Manual trans. The black I didn't want to have to keep washing but I guess it will bring out the S&M in me and I will be its loyal and obedient servant. There is an old saying in vintage watches..."buy the seller and not the watch." That is part of my initial attraction to this car...the owner is an enthusiast and collector with more cars than he can drive.

I won't discuss price until after it is really mine. More than I wanted to spend, but as Jake Raby would say, "the cheapest Porsche you buy will be the most expensive Porsche you buy." The market is a little overly enthusiastic right now with bidding orgies on BaT.

Well wish me luck.
1.jpg
1.jpg (247.94 KiB) Viewed 1896 times
bl9.jpg
bl9.jpg (195.56 KiB) Viewed 1896 times
bl5b.jpg
bl5b.jpg (415.2 KiB) Viewed 1896 times