Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:02 pm

gnat wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:51 pm
Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:40 pm I read that Internet Brands has decided to shut down the Politics & Controversy section of RLOT. In addition to that most of the RL Mods are no longer Mods. That's about as objective as I can be.
That may actually improve things considerably on Rennlist (dammit). Most of the problem mods were P&C post whores and all part of a a little clique.

How quickly do you think I'd test the "anything goes" area by posting "sucks when your threads get deleted for arbitrary and capricious reasons doesn't it?" :lol:
Agreed, that section of RL was awful. The clique thing I can attest to; after post after post of abuse by one of the regulars there I finally responded in the only way he seemed to understand but I got the timeout.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:46 pm

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:02 pm
gnat wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:51 pm
That may actually improve things considerably on Rennlist (dammit). Most of the problem mods were P&C post whores and all part of a a little clique.

How quickly do you think I'd test the "anything goes" area by posting "sucks when your threads get deleted for arbitrary and capricious reasons doesn't it?" :lol:
Agreed, that section of RL was awful. The clique thing I can attest to; after post after post of abuse by one of the regulars there I finally responded in the only way he seemed to understand but I got the timeout.
From what I see on their new site so far, I will welcome any that want to join here, but I won't grieve for those that don't. It's clear from their posts that they are still the same as 2 years ago when I left.

The irony of a certain mod crying about being kicked out of "his" sandbox because the powers-that-be didn't like how he acted is just cracking me up to no end though. :lol:

If the site survives I hope Francisco is true to his word and makes sure that all people and views are indeed welcome. Without a massive influx of fresh blood willing to suffer through the likely abuse and BS, I expect it will be just as one sided as P&C ever was (maybe worse as they don't even seem to want to have our One Rule and let chaos rule). Without the useful content of RL, however, what would be the point of such an effort?

I do love how they want to pay him money to lock the site down so only paying members can see the content because they don't want their posts indexed and coming back to haunt them. I guess only saying things you're willing to stand behind and accept the consequences for never crossed anyone's mind :roll:

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:05 pm

gnat wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:46 pm

From what I see on their new site so far, I will welcome any that want to join here, but I won't grieve for those that don't. It's clear from their posts that they are still the same as 2 years ago when I left.

The irony of a certain mod crying about being kicked out of "his" sandbox because the powers-that-be didn't like how he acted is just cracking me up to no end though. :lol:

If the site survives I hope Francisco is true to his word and makes sure that all people and views are indeed welcome. Without a massive influx of fresh blood willing to suffer through the likely abuse and BS, I expect it will be just as one sided as P&C ever was (maybe worse as they don't even seem to want to have our One Rule and let chaos rule). Without the useful content of RL, however, what would be the point of such an effort?

I do love how they want to pay him money to lock the site down so only paying members can see the content because they don't want their posts indexed and coming back to haunt them. I guess only saying things you're willing to stand behind and accept the consequences for never crossed anyone's mind :roll:
So far that looks like the Wild Wild West over there.
Never gonna make you cry...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:16 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:05 pm So far that looks like the Wild Wild West over there.
Things weren't exactly daisies and dollies around here in the early days either. Give it a few months to see how it settles out, then judge.

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:26 pm

It is interesting how the OT section of forums like these quickly becomes the staple for the identity of a forum. I mean looking inward, this place, we are a left-leaning group to any casual observer. I know a lot of people here will say "hey, wait a minute.." to that sentiment but for the sake of casual argument that is where I'd put us. Reading comments from other members shows me I'm not alone in this sentiment. It has to be difficult for our conservative brothers to click into certain forums and see a lot of discussion revolving around things they personally feel is an attack on their beliefs. I know we all do our damndest to observe the rule and not dogpile, but when there are 30 guys who agree and 2 who don't, it's gonna feel like a dogpile. I think about this a lot lately.

Taking a look at what happened to RL as a learning opportunity for this place, not that I think we'd ever turn into that place, perhaps we have our own opportunity to test friendly debate in a new way. Maybe if I get a damn clue how to do that I'll try to help lead this change. I'd like a thread to talk to Frunk about his beliefs that doesn't have a title that sets the premise that he's wrong. I saw him take this effort with the non-political COVID thread.

What I really love about Outpost is when we have opportunities to shine we show that it's cooler to be inclusive rather than exclusive. This is what I'm going to focus on as a member here.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:49 pm

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:26 pm It is interesting how the OT section of forums like these quickly becomes the staple for the identity of a forum.
Actually I think the majority of users here are right or right of center, but the left side of the house are the ones talking about such things the most.

The mod policy here is to keep politics in the proper section so that it's easier for people that don't want to get into such conversations to avoid them.

As one of the frequent poster on political subjects, I would welcome different points of view engaging in such discussions. An echo chamber is bad regardless of what the echo is.

Most importantly, if you all don't think the mods are fairly or accurately treating things, call us on it. Either in public or via PM. We'll always try to explain our actions and recognize that we too can be wrong.

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:09 pm

Yeah I suppose I'm treading murky water by making such declarations and should stay out of it. I think I meant to say the tone of conversation seems to lean left rather than the actual identities we carry. Maybe this is thanks to certain conversation around a certain elected individual being perceived as "where you stand." Regardless, I'm 100% for remaining apolitical. People deserve to be heard and people deserve to feel welcome, sometimes two opposing forces...
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

02TX996Cab
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by 02TX996Cab » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:29 pm

I could not care less about folks' political leanings. I have 100% control over what I read -- or don't read. I also have 100% control over how I react to what others say or think. For the most part we are able here to disagree, without being disagreeable; and when disagreeable rears its ugly head, the "Don't be a Dick" rule seems pretty darned effective at restoring order.

For what it's worth, the uniting forces here appear to be 1) undying love for the most un-loved of P-cars (and cars in general), 2) dislike of where Rennlist (dammit) headed, and 3) the kind of content RL came to hate, but which we enjoy. Provided these are the areas where the bulk of the conversation continues to occur, this is a very nice place to hang out.
Proud owner of a Flat6-powered 2002 996 Cab, 2016 GT4, 2019 Ford F-150 "Country Cadillac", and 2005 Ford Focus (not so hot hatch) daily driver. And a Wright ZTO 52" to keep several acres of grass-like substance neat and tidy!

OceanBlue2000

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:02 pm

gnat wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:49 pm
Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:26 pm It is interesting how the OT section of forums like these quickly becomes the staple for the identity of a forum.
Actually I think the majority of users here are right or right of center, but the left side of the house are the ones talking about such things the most.

The mod policy here is to keep politics in the proper section so that it's easier for people that don't want to get into such conversations to avoid them.

As one of the frequent poster on political subjects, I would welcome different points of view engaging in such discussions. An echo chamber is bad regardless of what the echo is.

Most importantly, if you all don't think the mods are fairly or accurately treating things, call us on it. Either in public or via PM. We'll always try to explain our actions and recognize that we too can be wrong.
To your point about this place feeling left leaning, a lot of that has to do with who’s president. The opposition party is always loudest. Plus this dude gives us a lot to complain about.
Mike
1982 928 (sold)

OceanBlue2000

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:06 pm

gnat wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:46 pm

Yeah, I’ll add that while I would welcome voices from the other end if just for the conversation, some of these guys want the “freedom” to be super racist and not get called out on it.
Mike
1982 928 (sold)