Potential New Car Purchases

Kalashnikov
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Potential New Car Purchases

Post by Kalashnikov » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:21 pm

I've been mulling the update of my auto park for a while now and finalized the selection to three pairs of cars. I will not mix and match brands, as it makes my rational side very unhappy. Owning cars of multiple brands have annoyed me for a while now, as none of the fluids or parts are interchangeable and I can't transfer the car knowledge from one car to another.

No German or American brands reached my final three. Germans for the matter of utter complexity in late model cars, Americans...because I feel that they still have shit quality. Serviceability of the Japanese cars also influenced my ranking of the cars to a large extent. Both Mitsubishis and Nissans are OLD new cars; they are still very simple and don't have the excessive electronic intrusions of other modern cars. Mitsubishi also has the longest warranty available and that pair would set me back just $40k.

I sized it all down to having a one SUV and one fun car for me to mess with. SUV being a practical thing I drive for most errands and to haul me for off road adventures and snowboarding, while fun car...is that- fun car.

Final three pairs are in order of how they stand:

1) 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander GT AWD (leather+navi) + 2014 Lancer EVO GSR (leather+navi model).

2) 2015 Xterra Pro 4x 6 Speed (leather+navi) + 2015 Nismo 370z Tech 6 speed.

3) 2013 Acura MDX Advance Package + 2012 TL SH-AWD Tech Package 6 speed.

Discuss...

Cuda911
Possum Hauler

Re: Potential New Car Purchases

Post by Cuda911 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:09 am

How about a Nissan Juke and a Kia Rio?

That will ensure that no dumpling makers will ever again invade your space.
Mike

'68 Ford Custom 500; '70 Plymouth Cuda; '71 Ford Econoline; 73 Porsche 914 1.7, '74 Porsche 914 1.8; '74 Suzuki TC185; '86 Suzuki GS450L; '88 Subaru GL104WD Turbo Ltd Edn;; '88 Subaru XT; '91 Lexus ES250; '93 Jeep Wrangler, '99 Porsche Boxster, '03 Turbo VW Beetle; '03 Porsche Boxster; '03 Porsche Carrera C2; '07 Porsche Cayman, '11 BMW 328i, '12 Porsche 991 S, '14 Porsche Cayman, & a mishmash of other vehicles.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:25 am

Aren't you both too old and too young for a 370?

Around these parts they are driven by teen boys that want to be cool or older men that think they are cool. The Nismo is doubly in the later bracket.

The EVO is kinda the same, though I don't see many.

What about the Lexus F cars. Some of them are looking pretty nice these days and I'm hearing good things about their fun cars too. Definitely a bit beyond $40k for both though :D

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:15 am

Go for the Nismo 370 package! It does have electronic intrusions and nanny's but it is fun. I almost bought one prior to the 911, but it rode rough...maybe I should have shut off the sport mode but...no that's what made it FUN. Yeah, gnat, I'm too old for that car but the only looks problem was the "boy racer" wing which many of you love anyway! :lol:
Never gonna make you cry...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:20 am

Oh I don't deny that the 370 looks good, especially the Nismo package. I actually briefly considered one when I almost bough a 135.

Just saying that it has a very clear set of stereotypical owner types.

Kinda like how I saw a woman with a very 80s style hair style driving a 987 the other day so now I have this image of Cuda running AutoX with such a hair style :lol:

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:06 am

Yo Kalash!

Although I have lots of friends that are loyal to the Acura/Nissan brands, not many buy the Mitsu cars. Maybe it's because they closed a factory here in GA and lots of people lost their jobs? Or, maybe because of their lower reputation compared to the other Japanese elite? Well, if it were me, I would own the Nismo Z car without any doubt. Hands down, the best sports car on your list IMHO. We owned a 280Z back in the 80s... man that was a fun car . Of course, I was too young to drive it, but it was so much fun to go riding in with my dad. Great memories. My dad still says that was one of the best cars he ever owned. Mom still claims the '84 Camaro Z28 was better. That's because it was an automatic and it didn't make her look like an idiot like driving the 280Z. She was known to repeatedly try to zip out in traffic only to pop the clutch and stall the car thus blocking traffic for a mile while trying to restart it and get out of the way. ha!

Kalashnikov

Post by Kalashnikov » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:55 am

Some good points gents.

But Porsche 911 owners really can't talk about stereotypes of other cars. 2015 Nismo actually doesn't have the large spoiler, and doesn't look as wild as 2014 model.

On Mitsubishi, part of their appeal is that they are grossly undervalued for what they are. People forgot about the brand, but they still made a couple of very good cars with one of the best AWD systems out there. With EVO X (and to lesser degree NISMO), I feel that Supra like appreciation is possible within next 10 years.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:04 am

Kalashnikov wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:55 am Some good points gents.

But Porsche 911 owners really can't talk about stereotypes of other cars. 2015 Nismo actually doesn't have the large spoiler, and doesn't look as wild as 2014 model.

On Mitsubishi, part of their appeal is that they are grossly undervalued for what they are. People forgot about the brand, but they still made a couple of very good cars with one of the best AWD systems out there. With EVO X (and to lesser degree NISMO), I feel that Supra like appreciation is possible within next 10 years.
Just checked some pics and you are right! Go for the Nismo. The one I drove, must have been a 2014 was quick in sport mode!
Never gonna make you cry...

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:47 pm

Kalash, from your menu my taste would be the Nissan combo. The Mitsu's are cheerful, but a bit too cheap for my taste. gnat actually gave me an idea, for once.

2014 Toyota 4Runner / 2013 Lexus IS-F ?

They are both technically 'yotas. Both kinda new-ish. Not really sure what your budget is but that combo above can be done for $60k. Seems like that might be on the high end of your ballpark, but you've grown accustomed to beastly V8's.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

Kalashnikov

Post by Kalashnikov » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:11 pm

Nah, I prefer to live way way below my means; no ISF or anything that is not a good value. Mitsubishis are a great value and don't attract any attention.

Part of me is really partial to the 2009-2012 Eclipse GT in Yellow Color. Car is amazing good looking. C4S 996 has nothing on hips on that Mitsu.