Anyone know much about 3d printers?

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Re: Anyone know much about 3d printers?

Post by gnat » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:56 pm

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:50 pm *I used the wrong terminology in my above post - it isn't injection molding we need to do it's heat-compression molding. So I'm more concerned about the heat from the molding process deforming a 3D print.
Ah. That does change things, but the answer is pretty much the same. You just need to find out how hot it gets.

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:53 pm

Yeah sorry gnat you've gotta work with me sometimes :P
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:51 pm

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:53 pm Yeah sorry gnat you've gotta work with me sometimes :P
It's not a process I'm familiar with, but a quick look seems to indicate that metal masters would need to be cut. Not sure 3D printing will help in this situation, but someone that knows the process better might have other ideas.

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:38 pm

There are other cool techniques like flame-spraying; if your original is a modeled positive, a welding/machine shop that flame sprays could flame-deposit metal powder over the finished shape to create a mold cavity...you’d kinda have to cut the finished part in half or drill a hole in it to get rid of the original medium.

It’s been a REALLY long time, but I used to work with guys who sold MoldFlow (CAD software for runner/port injection molding simulation)...I might be able to find someone who knows more than the “jack shit” I can honestly contribute...

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:37 am

The plot thickens - it turns out we can pour food-grade silicone molds for the candy. Looks like 3D printing is a go. Looking forward to contributing to this thread sometime in the future.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:43 am

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:37 am The plot thickens - it turns out we can pour food-grade silicone molds for the candy. Looks like 3D printing is a go. Looking forward to contributing to this thread sometime in the future.
If you want to do the 3D work to create the shapes you want I'd be happy to send you a few masters to get you started.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:45 am

Because I need more projects in my life, I started these late last week thinking they'd be quick. Technically the purple ones were pretty quick, but they did not come out like my vision for them. The other set is a royal pain in the ass.
Attachments
img_20201026_115922.jpg

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:59 am

gnat wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:43 am
Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:37 am The plot thickens - it turns out we can pour food-grade silicone molds for the candy. Looks like 3D printing is a go. Looking forward to contributing to this thread sometime in the future.
If you want to do the 3D work to create the shapes you want I'd be happy to send you a few masters to get you started.

Thanks gnat! I'll take you up on that once we have some models approved.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:17 pm

Have you played with any of the 2-part silicone molding stuff? You can buy food-grade goop from Amazon to play with if it's useful for you to do so.

I have wasted GALLONS of this shit making molds of countless things for which I didn't need molds. Nothing dirty, you pervs.

https://www.amazon.com/Plastique-Molds- ... 626&sr=8-5

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:33 am

One of the reasons I went with this Nvidia card instead of something more ATI-ish: Meshroom likes Nvidia GPUs.

Last night, Meshroom generated a 3D mesh from a data set of about 600 MB (483 JPGs) of drone snapshots (not mine - it was a sample photogrammetry dataset some other guy posted online). It took about 8 hours, and the resulting model of a logging operation isn't something I'd want to print 1:1, but the concept is really cool, and I want to try it with a smaller object. Say...a 996.

Object.png
Object.png (300.97 KiB) Viewed 971 times