Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by gnat » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:01 am

JayG wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:53 am
gnat wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:17 am
Oh. So mudslide season then...

Quakes. Fires. Mudslides. Obscene cost of living. CARB. Why do people live in that state? :?
You forgot Disneyland, LegoLand, Laguna Seca.....

San Diego is the best place in the world to be a weatherman. You could be locked in a windowless closet and forecast its 72 deg and sunny and you will be right 85% of the time
Substitute Daytona or Sebring and you could be talking about Florida. I wouldn't want to live there either :lol: (my parents do and I don't understand it)

JayG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by JayG » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:04 am

gnat wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:01 am
JayG wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:53 am

You forgot Disneyland, LegoLand, Laguna Seca.....

San Diego is the best place in the world to be a weatherman. You could be locked in a windowless closet and forecast its 72 deg and sunny and you will be right 85% of the time
Substitute Daytona or Sebring and you could be talking about Florida. I wouldn't want to live there either :lol: (my parents do and I don't understand it)
Florida = Gods waiting room
2004 Boxster S 6 speed - DRL relay hack, Polaris AutoTop DIY (sold)
2004 996 Targa Tip
2020 BMW X3 Xdrive, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:08 am

Yosemite, the giant redwoods, Morro Bay, Joshua Tree.

Mrs. S. and I are headed up to Big Bear on Sunday morning. We're planning to stop by my pop's place in Huntington Beach to drop off his birthday present, and then we'll take Pee Pee Eye for a walk on the beach before we head up to the snow.

I'm willing to put up with CARB for another couple of years... :D

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

DBJoe996

Post by DBJoe996 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:11 am

JayG wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:04 am
Hey! ;)

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:12 am

A dude that worked for me said about Florida: "The land of half-deads and newlyweds". My parents retired there too. Dad loved the ocean(former Navy guy) and fishing. Mom hated the heat and humidity, but she gave in to Dad. I get that...
Never gonna make you cry...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:21 am

32wildbilly wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:12 am A dude that worked for me said about Florida: "The land of half-deads and newlyweds". My parents retired there too. Dad loved the ocean(former Navy guy) and fishing. Mom hated the heat and humidity, but she gave in to Dad. I get that...

My mom never wanted to see snow again as she hates the cold (yet she goes from air conditioned house to air conditioned car to air conditioned store and back again...). Dad would probably be happy in an isolated cabin in the middle of nowhere. Why they went to FL instead of back to South GA where they both grew up (mom in the swamp and dad on the ocean) is something they've never been able to make clear to me.

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:29 pm

As I get older, I really get tired of the snow and cold. If I ever move out of my beloved NJ, Cali is probably where I would head next. I have to go out there once or twice a year for work, and I don't see the downside. A distinct lack of Pork Roll maybe.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

theprf
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by theprf » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:55 pm

My Mom is originally from Cape Cod, her 2nd husband from Tampa, FL. They moved from up here to the Tampa/St. Pete area 37 years ago and haven't looked back. In normal times I'd visit 4 or 5 times a year. I distinctly hate our 6 months of winter each year, but I do like our economy and I generally like our state government so I have stayed.
I did live in Orange County CA for a few years and the weather was nice.

DBJoe996

Post by DBJoe996 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:58 pm

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:29 pm As I get older, I really get tired of the snow and cold. If I ever move out of my beloved NJ, Cali is probably where I would head next. I have to go out there once or twice a year for work, and I don't see the downside. A distinct lack of Pork Roll maybe.
I love the weather here, and compared to other parts of the country real estate here is cheap. No smog tests and no state taxes. I have lived in California, Maine, Virginia, Oklahoma and cold weather sucks, so does snow. I'll take where I am any day of the week.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:25 pm

DBJoe996 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:58 pm
OceanBlue2000 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:29 pm As I get older, I really get tired of the snow and cold. If I ever move out of my beloved NJ, Cali is probably where I would head next. I have to go out there once or twice a year for work, and I don't see the downside. A distinct lack of Pork Roll maybe.
I love the weather here, and compared to other parts of the country real estate here is cheap. No smog tests and no state taxes. I have lived in California, Maine, Virginia, Oklahoma and cold weather sucks, so does snow. I'll take where I am any day of the week.
We always seem to end up visiting my parents in Aug or Sept. The heat I can take. The humidity and love bugs are different stories though...

VA is far from perfect, but it seems to be a good middle ground where we get a little bit of everything. Except for the humidity in the summers we rarely get too much of anything (e.g. we can get nasty cold, but it usually only lasts a few days to a week before we get milder weather and the really ugly snows are only about every 5 years or so).

Now that I am officially a remote worker, however, I would like to get out of this area. Not sure where I'd like to end up though (needs decent schools for the kids, high speed internet, and decent employment prospects in the event remote working doesn't last in my industry and I need to look for a new job).