Add on driver assist monitors/warning devices

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Add on driver assist monitors/warning devices

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu May 13, 2021 1:00 pm

Are these worth a damn? Like the Blind spot monitoring deals? We bought a replacement for the Rav4 and it will probably go to the oldest GC and Nana is worried it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that new cars have. In addition to the fact that this kid is just 15! If they're any good are there people who put them in cause I'm sure not. My guess is this would be a natural fit for the stereo install hackers to do.

Thanks for any advice.
Never gonna make you cry...

02TX996Cab
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Re: Add on driver assist monitors/warning devices

Post by 02TX996Cab » Thu May 13, 2021 4:56 pm

My $0.02 -- spend the money instead on really good driver's training, with someone who teaches (or, rather, insists--kind of like a Marine Drill Instructor would) using every dang mirror in the car and turning one's head to check blind spots, and generally focusing at all times on the job of driving.

IMHO people buy these driving nannies ("warning devices") and then increasingly rely on them to protect them, often foregoing use of the basic rules and practices we were taught when learning to drive. They encourage laziness and bad habits behind the wheel. Teach the GCs to take charge of their own safety and that of other motorists, rather than relying on some electronic device.

Oh yeah, and technology is neither infallible nor fool-proof. Just ask Mr. Musk.
Proud owner of a Flat6-powered 2002 996 Cab, 2016 GT4, 2019 Ford F-150 "Country Cadillac", and 2005 Ford Focus (not so hot hatch) daily driver. And a Wright ZTO 52" to keep several acres of grass-like substance neat and tidy!

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu May 13, 2021 5:09 pm

You sound EXACTLY like me, but Nana is going to be hard to convince. We have offered to pay for Drivers Ed so they don't have to cheap out.

I also own a Honda Civic Type R and I got into it with a bunch of millennials in the Type R forum on the same topic. They were all bitching about the Type R not having all the nannies and quoting false statistics about how many lives were saved by particular nannies. Needless to say it got heated, but there were a few other older guys who had the same feelings as me. It was fun.

Some younger people can be such idiots.
02TX996Cab wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:56 pm My $0.02 -- spend the money instead on really good driver's training, with someone who teaches (or, rather, insists--kind of like a Marine Drill Instructor would) using every dang mirror in the car and turning one's head to check blind spots, and generally focusing at all times on the job of driving.

IMHO people buy these driving nannies ("warning devices") and then increasingly rely on them to protect them, often foregoing use of the basic rules and practices we were taught when learning to drive. They encourage laziness and bad habits behind the wheel. Teach the GCs to take charge of their own safety and that of other motorists, rather than relying on some electronic device.

Oh yeah, and technology is neither infallible nor fool-proof. Just ask Mr. Musk.

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Thu May 13, 2021 6:55 pm

Just get her a Tesla.
It’s Param Sharma approved!

313E648C-2451-48F0-8694-8F23585AC750.png
313E648C-2451-48F0-8694-8F23585AC750.png (476.39 KiB) Viewed 2138 times
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu May 13, 2021 7:03 pm

Just posted his story in the Tesla idiot thread.
FRUNKenstein wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:55 pm Just get her a Tesla.
It’s Param Sharma approved!

313E648C-2451-48F0-8694-8F23585AC750.png

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Thu May 13, 2021 9:12 pm

Billy take it from your favorite stupid millenial - (that's me if you forgot,) - tell Nana you're going to remove all of the seats apart from the drivers seat. That's the best safety device for a 15-16 year old driver. A distracted driver is not going to look at a blind spot warning the same way they would not look over their shoulder. Nobody in the car? Nobody to impress!

I'm ditto on a nice, thorough defensive driving course. I had one when I was a kid and it was better than drivers Ed.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri May 14, 2021 5:25 am

Please take note that I didn't say "all young people(millennials) are idiots". I tried to word that line carefully to not offend those to whom it does not apply.

I agree with you on take the seats out, disable the radio so it only broadcasts talk radio on one station at a low volume, put a starter interlock that does not function if it senses a turned on cellphone or the odor of alcohol with the capabilities of stopping the car if it senses/smells one while running, weld the rearview mirror in place for the assigned driver and remove the driver side vanity mirror from the sun visor. I'm sure there are many more things to make the car teenager ready, but that is a good start for now.
Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:12 pm Billy take it from your favorite stupid millenial - (that's me if you forgot,) - tell Nana you're going to remove all of the seats apart from the drivers seat. That's the best safety device for a 15-16 year old driver. A distracted driver is not going to look at a blind spot warning the same way they would not look over their shoulder. Nobody in the car? Nobody to impress!

I'm ditto on a nice, thorough defensive driving course. I had one when I was a kid and it was better than drivers Ed.

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Fri May 14, 2021 10:00 am

Set up a Bluetooth system that automatically calls Nana whenever the radio button is pressed. Oh and GPS trackers are a must!
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon May 17, 2021 8:19 am

The blind spot warning in the Grand Cherokee has saved me being yelled/cursed/honked at more than once in the two years we've had it. We don't have any of the really fancy crap (like lanekeeping assist or adaptive cruise)...

It was disabled when we bought the car; I turned it on for grins, assuming it would be really dumb - and it's actually a fantastic safety feature.
32wildbilly wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:00 pm Are these worth a damn? Like the Blind spot monitoring deals? We bought a replacement for the Rav4 and it will probably go to the oldest GC and Nana is worried it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that new cars have. In addition to the fact that this kid is just 15! If they're any good are there people who put them in cause I'm sure not. My guess is this would be a natural fit for the stereo install hackers to do.

Thanks for any advice.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon May 17, 2021 9:02 am

Yeah BSW installed on a car from the factory is a neat usable feature. I was really wondering if anybody had an opinion on the add-on type to put on a vehicle not originally equipped.
5chn3ll wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:19 am The blind spot warning in the Grand Cherokee has saved me being yelled/cursed/honked at more than once in the two years we've had it. We don't have any of the really fancy crap (like lanekeeping assist or adaptive cruise)...

It was disabled when we bought the car; I turned it on for grins, assuming it would be really dumb - and it's actually a fantastic safety feature.
32wildbilly wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:00 pm Are these worth a damn? Like the Blind spot monitoring deals? We bought a replacement for the Rav4 and it will probably go to the oldest GC and Nana is worried it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that new cars have. In addition to the fact that this kid is just 15! If they're any good are there people who put them in cause I'm sure not. My guess is this would be a natural fit for the stereo install hackers to do.

Thanks for any advice.