Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon May 24, 2021 8:38 am

Mrs. S. has a rather heavy right foot; the Corvette is much more suited to her driving style ("I was driving 70, but now I want to be driving 85").

Ages ago - about 10 years? - I swapped the D36 out for a 3.73 D44 and made a few other minor tweaks via OBD-II programming. I think I was even able to correct the final drive ratio to make the speedo correct via OBD-II, which was cool.

She's also a little clutch-averse because of the hill we live on; the Corvette is auto.

It all works out. :D

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon May 24, 2021 8:47 am

5chn3ll wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:38 am Mrs. S. has a rather heavy right foot; the Corvette is much more suited to her driving style ("I was driving 70, but now I want to be driving 85").
Sooo.... 3rd gear in the 996? :lol:

Every time I get some real seat time in the 996 after not driving it for awhile I'm always like "I always forget how effort it is at speed". After not driving the P!g for a week I was all "holy shit I forgot all about that low end diesel torque!!!". I am definitely spoiled that I view her BMW as a boring POS...

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon May 24, 2021 9:12 am

In a straight line, the Corvette will mop the floor with the 996 - up to about 130 when the D44 runs out of gearing.

It used to chirp into third at the drag strip, but the transmission has been wounded for a few years (after it boiled over during an autocross). Eventually - maybe when it's 30 - I'll mess with a rebuild.

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Tue May 25, 2021 12:29 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:12 am In a straight line, the Corvette will mop the floor with the 996 - up to about 130 when the D44 runs out of gearing.

It used to chirp into third at the drag strip, but the transmission has been wounded for a few years (after it boiled over during an autocross). Eventually - maybe when it's 30 - I'll mess with a rebuild.

I was going to ask - didn't you do something to the transmission to make it accelerate stupid fast up to 130-ish MPH? You did! Did Mrs. S accuse you of trying to get rid of her? :lol:
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue May 25, 2021 12:43 pm

Well good to see you here. I was wondering if a military jet fell on you.
Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:29 pm
5chn3ll wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:12 am In a straight line, the Corvette will mop the floor with the 996 - up to about 130 when the D44 runs out of gearing.

I was going to ask - didn't you do something to the transmission to make it accelerate stupid fast up to 130-ish MPH? You did! Did Mrs. S accuse you of trying to get rid of her? :lol:
Never gonna make you cry...

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Tue May 25, 2021 2:05 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:43 pm Well good to see you here. I was wondering if a military jet fell on you.

Just the military jet called life, my friend.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue May 25, 2021 3:34 pm

Life happens. I hope all is well.
Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:05 pm
32wildbilly wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:43 pm Well good to see you here. I was wondering if a military jet fell on you.

Just the military jet called life, my friend.

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Tue May 25, 2021 4:01 pm

Doing really well, thanks! I hope you didn't think I left because of that Millennial remark :P :P :P I've just been busy trying to get some projects accomplished. Wife and I built a fort for my son in our back yard - with the price of lumber being what it is I think his 36 sq. ft. house has a bit more value than the "main house" does now. We re-carpeted our upstairs which means we had to move all of our furniture and stuff into the garage and we've been trying to get that put back together one box at a time. Work has been busy which is a blessing for someone that makes artwork for a living. Working in the travel sector was a bust the last 18 mos. but the good news is all of that work didn't go away it was just waiting for me. Now I can do all 18 mos. in 1 month!

Hope you're doing well too.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue May 25, 2021 5:32 pm

Never gooder. :roll: Thanks for asking. You been busy.
Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:01 pm Doing really well, thanks! I hope you didn't think I left because of that Millennial remark :P :P :P I've just been busy trying to get some projects accomplished. Wife and I built a fort for my son in our back yard - with the price of lumber being what it is I think his 36 sq. ft. house has a bit more value than the "main house" does now. We re-carpeted our upstairs which means we had to move all of our furniture and stuff into the garage and we've been trying to get that put back together one box at a time. Work has been busy which is a blessing for someone that makes artwork for a living. Working in the travel sector was a bust the last 18 mos. but the good news is all of that work didn't go away it was just waiting for me. Now I can do all 18 mos. in 1 month!

Hope you're doing well too.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri May 28, 2021 8:31 am

heh. Today promises to be a good day - my Mormon niece, who announced her engagement and an expected 2-year-out wedding date just last Sunday, is instead getting married TODAY at the courthouse.

I anticipate a "miraculous" 6.5-month full-term first pregnancy... :D