Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

02TX996Cab
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by 02TX996Cab » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:20 am

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:05 am What does it do? Protect plastics?
I use their fabric protector on my 996's convertible (canvas) top. It provides both waterproofing and UV protection.
Proud owner of a Flat6-powered 2002 996 Cab, 2016 GT4, 2019 Ford F-150 "Country Cadillac", and 2005 Ford Focus (not so hot hatch) daily driver. And a Wright ZTO 52" to keep several acres of grass-like substance neat and tidy!

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:06 pm

Oh man I need some of that stuff, then.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

02TX996Cab

Post by 02TX996Cab » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:00 pm

I clean the top thoroughly with RaggTopp cleaner, then apply the 303 Protectant after the top has completely dried. The water repellency lasts a solid couple of years (car is garaged when not in use), and protection from stains lasts at least as long as the water repellency.

Pro(?) tip -- rather than spraying the 303 on using the supplied spray bottle, I simply pour some of the stuff into a metal bowl and brush it onto the top using a new, disposable paint brush. This allows me to really saturate the seams, plus I avoid having to mask around the top and/or clean off overspray.
Proud owner of a Flat6-powered 2002 996 Cab, 2016 GT4, 2019 Ford F-150 "Country Cadillac", and 2005 Ford Focus (not so hot hatch) daily driver. And a Wright ZTO 52" to keep several acres of grass-like substance neat and tidy!

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:43 am

The 303 leather/vinyl protectant is AWESOME. It dries to a matte finish, and stuff (like dust and chunks of diffuser/blend door foam) doesn't stick to it like it does with Armor All.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:59 am

The youngest kid told me "If you ever use Armor All on the seats in the P-cqr he would kill me!" So I never have...
5chn3ll wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:43 am The 303 leather/vinyl protectant is AWESOME. It dries to a matte finish, and stuff (like dust and chunks of diffuser/blend door foam) doesn't stick to it like it does with Armor All.
Never gonna make you cry...

Hatchetf15

Post by Hatchetf15 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:11 pm

...but another bad week for RL. Baz Hart got banned. One of the world’s foremost experts on the 996 must have stepped on some sponsor’s turd-burgling, snake oil-selling toes because a man who doesn’t market or sell anything in the US was throwing out some sciency pearls of engine performance wisdom, FOR FREE!

Jake, Chris Cervelli, Baz and some other pretty smart folks were contributing. Personally, I don’t believe he was even coming close to shilling for business. I wonder if Chris Cervelli is next. The thread has almost 24,000 views in 6 weeks. Best overall thread I’ve read in years.

No more money from me to support those cheese dicks at IB. I’ve even had a few of my recent posts removed because I called out (politely) some wifferdill for hijacking my thread to do some of his own drunk driveling. I particularly oppose censorship with no visible accountability to us, the subscribers.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:19 pm

SNAFU. Normal for RL(dammit).
Hatchetf15 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:11 pm ...but another bad week for RL. Baz Hart got banned. One of the world’s foremost experts on the 996 must have stepped on some sponsor’s turd-burgling, snake oil-selling toes because a man who doesn’t market or sell anything in the US was throwing out some sciency pearls of engine performance wisdom, FOR FREE!

Jake, Chris Cervelli, Baz and some other pretty smart folks were contributing. Personally, I don’t believe he was even coming close to shilling for business. I wonder if Chris Cervelli is next. The thread has almost 24,000 views in 6 weeks. Best overall thread I’ve read in years.

No more money from me to support those cheese dicks at IB. I’ve even had a few of my recent posts removed because I called out (politely) some wifferdill for hijacking my thread to do some of his own drunk driveling. I particularly oppose censorship with no visible accountability to us, the subscribers.
Never gonna make you cry...

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:18 am

32wildbilly wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:19 pm SNAFU. Normal for RL(dammit).
Hatchetf15 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:11 pm ...but another bad week for RL. Baz Hart got banned. One of the world’s foremost experts on the 996 must have stepped on some sponsor’s turd-burgling, snake oil-selling toes because a man who doesn’t market or sell anything in the US was throwing out some sciency pearls of engine performance wisdom, FOR FREE!

I see that thread. Jeez, if those contributions are going to get you banned, then what are they looking for? Endless "I love the sponsoring vendor" posts?
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:33 am

Hatchetf15 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:11 pm Personally, I don’t believe he was even coming close to shilling for business.

Baz has never asked for a dime and has provided me countless technical documents for free via email. The same email address he always posts on Rennlist.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

theprf

Post by theprf » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:53 am

It's F-ing ridiculous. All we're trying to do is to come up with an actual solution that has data to prove it works and to save Jason's engine in the process. I am sure Jason's going to blow up his engine sooner rather than later; none of the available solutions are worth a damn, and this is what we get. If Jason blows up his M96 he's going to install a dry sumped LS3 V8 and be done with it. That will implode the heads of many; I'm not sure it will solve all the issues as it will likely bring new ones. I've tried to get him to change his thinking to a Turbo engine converted to normally aspirated GT3 spec, the problem there is he'd need an expensive Turbo gearbox too. My friend the other Aaron blew up his engine at Watkins Glen, and is installing a GT3 engine and transmission in his C2. Again, he's done with the non-helpful magazine raced parts available for the M96.

We spent yesterday hammering the cars around Lime Rock Park in Connecticut. (Jack, Jason, and me)
These guys are serious about covering ground on the track quickly. Jack is an SCCA racer from the old days, he ran old British cars back in the 70's. Jason is newer to track stuff and has really grabbed it and run. And I'm continuing to hack at it as best I can with the cheapest 996 turbo in the US. At least my engine won't blow up due to oil starvation. Even at 3600 pounds I've managed to get it around LRP at a decent pace. She's a big girl but when she gets going look out.

I can't see that anything in that thread could be construed as a credible threat to any of the vendors anyway. There are probably a total of six people in the US that would have any interest in any solution that eventuates as any solution is likely to be too difficult to understand or install.

Anyway, ranting over. I'm going to help these people even though I'm only a nobody. We will either find a solution or get rid of the M96. The constant knowledge of the design issues and wondering if this corner will be "the one" isn't conducive to a calm approach to the track. I want Jason to install one of Chris Cervelli's dry sump conversions as I think that has the highest possibility of success and we could get the installation issues solved.