Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue May 03, 2022 3:29 pm

I'm one of those morons who meticulously explains everything wrong with a car when I sell it to a private party. I know it's probably stupid, but I just don't wanna be THAT guy...
Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:57 pmAnother issue that I could say is overarching for the entire project is rust. The seller had let me know that the car had been kept inside of a garage; he just failed to mention the garage was inside of the RMS Titanic.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Wed May 04, 2022 6:33 am

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:57 pm When I bought Gelb, the primary issue that the seller disclosed to me was oil overconsumption (1qt/500mi) that had developed within 12,000 miles after he had paid Powertech in NJ to rebuild the engine after an "overheating episode". I had eventually found that the oil control ring (waffle ring) on piston #6 was overlapped by one tooth and was spoiling the whole show. There were a number of other issues I had re-addressed using the information I gathered by attending the Knowledge Gruppe M96 rebuild class in Georgia.

Another issue that I could say is overarching for the entire project is rust. The seller had let me know that the car had been kept inside of a garage; he just failed to mention the garage was inside of the RMS Titanic. Just cleaning this engine, determining what hardware could be reused, what hardware had to be purchased, all that jazz took f-o-r-e-v-e-r. I got to connect with my grandfather whom is a retired machinist and he taught me all the tricks he had to teach to extract broken studs. I'm done with the block - I've got more on the bottom of the car to grab.

The biggest reason why this is taking me forever is I am taking this project on to learn how to work on cars. I don't want to break my perfectly good 996 so I decided I'd just dive in head-first and try to learn the old fashioned way; hands-on. I've made my fair share of mistakes that have been time/commitment setbacks that have caused me to go back and do certain steps or entire sequences of steps over again. Regardless, the rebuild itself is complete and now I've got to address the rest of the broken stuff with the car:

• Rust/corrosion has destroyed rear brake lines.

• Fuel needs to be drained and replaced. (Car sat many years before being sold to me, and sitting with me.)

• Multiple coolant leaks - very likely majority of hoses and potentially even one of the radiators needs to be replaced.

• Top is non-functioning*, however, LOL, this is the least of my problems. *The top is new, that is nice.

So I wanted a project and I got myself a project. There's no gun to my head and I'm enjoying myself. Learning a TON and gaining all of the confidence that I needed to work on my own cars, which I am now doing. Still getting a big anxious to see my final grade. It'll be coming up soon!

Just another data point for the argument to never buy a car in NJ. Our roads are awful, the weather is worse and the crap that we spray on the roads so we can drive in this weather would rust wood. I went all the way to Cali to get my beauty and I try not to drive it in the rain, much less the sticky stuff.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed May 04, 2022 11:44 am

Rust.

Rust...

I'm not familiar with that word...

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed May 04, 2022 12:29 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:44 am Rust.

Rust...

I'm not familiar with that word...
Corvette owners say "On a warm humid night you can hear a Porsche rust"...Wait...Corvette owner...
Never gonna make you cry...

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Wed May 04, 2022 12:30 pm

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:33 am Just another data point for the argument to never buy a car in NJ. Our roads are awful, the weather is worse and the crap that we spray on the roads so we can drive in this weather would rust wood. I went all the way to Cali to get my beauty and I try not to drive it in the rain, much less the sticky stuff.
LOL, ditto!!!

5chn3ll wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:29 pm I'm one of those morons who meticulously explains everything wrong with a car when I sell it to a private party. I know it's probably stupid, but I just don't wanna be THAT guy...
Yeah I agree. Last thing I want is somebody coming back to me wanting more money or for me to fix the thing for them because "I didn't tell them," so I often go the route of "make it sound worse than it is."

Lucky for this seller is the only thing he really oversold was how well he cared for the car once he stopped driving it. Truth be told, maybe he did think he was taking good care of it but the evidence states it was not! :lol:

Also I was able to purchase this thing and get this thing shipped from NJ to NV before the pandemic for $5,000 all said and done, so for a $3,500 Carrera what the heck, right?
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed May 04, 2022 12:35 pm

So today our new internet provider finally installed the service. 235.1/236.8 speeds are MUCH better than 5.6/3.1!

Now leave me alone, get off my grass and I'm going to my secret room and do some figurin' on my abacus.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed May 04, 2022 12:37 pm

I think that's old-man code for "binge-watching Golden Girls on Netflix."
32wildbilly wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:35 pm Now leave me alone, get off my grass and I'm going to my secret room and do some figurin' on my abacus.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed May 04, 2022 12:39 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:37 pm I think that's old-man code for "binge-watching Golden Girls on Netflix."
32wildbilly wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:35 pm Now leave me alone, get off my grass and I'm going to my secret room and do some figurin' on my abacus.
Can't get Netflix because I haven't figured out out to put this password thingie in the little box thingie. Dag Nabbit!🙄

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed May 04, 2022 12:48 pm

"WTF? Why does it think my password is '*********'?"

-Billy, probably.
32wildbilly wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:39 pm
Can't get Netflix because I haven't figured out out to put this password thingie in the little box thingie. Dag Nabbit!🙄
You're a good sport, Mr. 32wildbilly.

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Wed May 04, 2022 2:42 pm

Dang look at Billy uploading faster than he downloads.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic