The new iPhone is here, the new iPhone is here!

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

The new iPhone is here, the new iPhone is here!

Post by FRUNKenstein » Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:17 am

Phone book.gif
Phone book.gif (3.11 MiB) Viewed 812 times
I'd like to start by saying that I'm not an iPhone zealot. My current phone is an iPhone 12 Pro Max (I likes me a big screen for my gorilla hands). It's my first ever iPhone. Before that, I was an Android guy. But, my family all had iPhones, and they like to FaceTime, so I reluctantly switched over. Don't get me wrong, I like the iPhone - I just don't live for it.

That being said, I pre-ordered the iPhone 15 Pro Max on the day they announced it (9/15/23). About a month ago, the little speaker that you use to listen to the phone by placing it up against your ear started only making about 20% of max volume, so I have to take all of my phone calls as a speakerphone. It didn't make sense to me to trade it in then, just before the launch of a new model, so I waited. The new phone arrives tomorrow, and I'm giddy with excitement.

My son, Alex, used to work for Apple, so he's kind of an Apple geek. To me, the biggest change from the 12 Pro Max is a 5x optical zoom that extends like a periscope from the back of the phone: "Is that a zoom lens, or is your iPhone just happy to see me?" (Copyright 2023 FRUNKenstein on that joke) However, Alex says there were quite a few upgrades since the 12 Pro Max model, such as much greater battery life. That's something I can definitely use. If you guys remember one of the early smartphones, the HTC EVO 4G that was launched back in 2010, it was absolutely groundbreaking technology. All 4 of our family got it right before a trip to see family in Spain, and it was like we were gods peddling voodoo magic with those phones. But, they came with a battery that lasted like 3 hours. You had to constantly recharge them and carry extra capacity batteries around in your pocket: "Is that an extra capacity battery in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?" (Copyright 2010 FRUNKenstein) I have suffered from low battery level paranoia ever since owning that EVO.

Once I get my grubby paws on the thing, I'll post up some observations. In the meantime, feel free to share any iPhone related content here.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Re: The new iPhone is here, the new iPhone is here!

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:22 pm

I agree it's nuts how much of a leap the upgrades can be when you pause a few generations. I too am a frugal gent and I went from a Pixel 3 to a Pixel 7 Pro and my first thought was "Ok, maybe I need to upgrade slightly more often."

Enjoy - looking forward to the new photos. Careful, though, we know you're capable of more now :P
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:46 pm

My current phone is an iPhone 13 mini which is an upgrade from my previous phone which was an awesome iPhone 5s! Talk about an upgrade. Of course I've got most of the bells and whistles shutoff because I don't need them and I'm old so don't know how to use them.

I got the mini because I don't want a 10# phone in any of my pockets. Also don't want to get arrested when said massive phone makes my pants fall off.
Never gonna make you cry...

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:38 am

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:22 pm I agree it's nuts how much of a leap the upgrades can be when you pause a few generations. I too am a frugal gent and I went from a Pixel 3 to a Pixel 7 Pro and my first thought was "Ok, maybe I need to upgrade slightly more often."

Enjoy - looking forward to the new photos. Careful, though, we know you're capable of more now :P

For the most part, I suck at photography. Basically, my skills are limited to making sure my finger isn't in front of the lens. However, since it arrives today, and I'm putting the 2018 Macan Turbo up for sale this weekend, then I might just try some artsy stuff with the new phone. Too bad you aren't here to work some of your magic with it!

32wildbilly wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:46 pm My current phone is an iPhone 13 mini which is an upgrade from my previous phone which was an awesome iPhone 5s! Talk about an upgrade. Of course I've got most of the bells and whistles shutoff because I don't need them and I'm old so don't know how to use them.

I got the mini because I don't want a 10# phone in any of my pockets. Also don't want to get arrested when said massive phone makes my pants fall off.

Well, when you're down here for RennRun '24 "Attack on KC", just make sure you're wearing a belt, eh Billy?

Knees together.gif
Knees together.gif (507.08 KiB) Viewed 801 times
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver