Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:52 pm

FRUNKenstein wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:10 am The car was filthy as it was on an open transport coming all the way from Seattle, so I actually ran it through the car wash last night at midnight (don't tell me you guys wouldn't have done the same thing). It was late and I was tired. Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

This reads like testimony. Feeling guilty Frunky?

Well, your honor, considering that this car has:
  • Aged clear coat
  • Questionable detailing history
  • Poor interstate transit
  • The owner admits he was impaired i.e. "I was tired"
We can absolve this Porsche owner of the crime of using an automated car wash.

*gavel strikes*

Dismissed!
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:37 pm

After the intentional dropping of "breaks" and "calibers," the death penalty seems appropriate.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:23 pm

In other news, I now have an excuse to use when accused of ignoring people...

image (4).png
image (4).png (26.4 KiB) Viewed 323 times

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:58 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:23 pm In other news, I now have an excuse to use when accused of ignoring people...

image (4).png
Hhhmmm high frequency hearing loss. Age? Maybe, but you ain't old. Noise? More than likely as a former band member. Of course I'm sure you performed in an acoustically isolated booth like Pete Townsend did when he had lost most of his hearing or at least wore some kind of attenuating products...Right? Sure you did. Any former hearing tests from the past to compare to?

Just wait til you get old.
willie-wonka-im-a-triple-deaf-in-this-ear.gif
willie-wonka-im-a-triple-deaf-in-this-ear.gif (2.89 MiB) Viewed 321 times
Never gonna make you cry...

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:05 am

Seems the "old" saying is accurate:
Thieves Try, Fail to Steal Porsche 911 With Manual Transmission
A group of thieves tried to carjack this Porsche 911, but it seems as if none of them could drive a stick.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:15 am

My left ear is collateral damage from years of abuse, mostly from crappy venues in the 90's and gun ranges. I finished off the right ear shooting my 50-cal black-powder pistol...my noise-cancelling headphones crapped out right before I fired a round. I couldn't hear out of that ear for days and it's never been the same.

I picked up a bare-bones set of hearing aids from Amazon to see if in-ear works for me. It's mind-blowing how much I haven't been hearing...when I take them out, it sounds like my ears are stuffed with cotton.
32wildbilly wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:58 pm
5chn3ll wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:23 pm In other news, I now have an excuse to use when accused of ignoring people...

image (4).png
Hhhmmm high frequency hearing loss. Age? Maybe, but you ain't old. Noise? More than likely as a former band member. Of course I'm sure you performed in an acoustically isolated booth like Pete Townsend did when he had lost most of his hearing or at least wore some kind of attenuating products...Right? Sure you did. Any former hearing tests from the past to compare to?

JayG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by JayG » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:39 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:15 am My left ear is collateral damage from years of abuse, mostly from crappy venues in the 90's and gun ranges. I finished off the right ear shooting my 50-cal black-powder pistol...my noise-cancelling headphones crapped out right before I fired a round. I couldn't hear out of that ear for days and it's never been the same.

I picked up a bare-bones set of hearing aids from Amazon to see if in-ear works for me. It's mind-blowing how much I haven't been hearing...when I take them out, it sounds like my ears are stuffed with cotton.
32wildbilly wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:58 pm

They call my hearing loss a "cookie bite" flat to about 750hz and down 15-20 db until 2k and then flat.
Go to costco for hearing aids. Great deals, unlimited free cleanings and they have extended replacement warranties as well as IIRC 6 month return/exchange

When I first got hearingaids, I copuldnt believe what I was missing. Hearing loss can cause a reduction in word comprehension which can lead to health issues. My hearing loss was due to 15+ years touring with rock bands
2004 Boxster S 6 speed - DRL relay hack, Polaris AutoTop DIY (sold)
2004 996 Targa Tip
2020 BMW X3 Xdrive, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:37 pm

JayG wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:39 pm My hearing loss was due to 15+ years touring with rock bands
As they say on MythBusters "(T)here's your problem!"

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:59 pm

Sins of the past. Being along the side of the engines of diesel locomotives in notch eight(full throttle) under full load, racing everything from nitro RC cars, two stroke racing karts and 360 ci. sprint cars and attending way too many rock concerts from The Who to Mountain to the Stones to REO Speedwagon to Steppenwolf have taken a toll of my hearing. Haven't been tested since prior to 2005. As I age the tinnitus just keeps getting louder. Good thing is I don't need to go on so many beach vacations as the tinnitus emulates the sounds of waves on the beach...kinda.

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:55 am

32wildbilly wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:23 am
FRUNKenstein wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:10 am So, the most recent Macan showed up on the transport truck at 11:00 pm last night. This is one that I'm planning to drive for the winter. One thing I liked about it was that the previous owner appeared to be an enthusiast as there were several tasteful mods done to it: carbon fiber steering with matching garnet leather, he went into the computer to activate the turbo pressure gauge for the instrument panel (it's in the software for all of the Macans, but only the "Turbo" models leave the factory with it displayed), and so forth.

The car was filthy as it was on an open transport coming all the way from Seattle, so I actually ran it through the car wash last night at midnight (don't tell me you guys wouldn't have done the same thing). It was late and I was tired. Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. This morning, I go out to the driveway to look it over in the light of day, and I see this:

m_IMG_0836.jpeg

Creating the same reaction as PeePeeEye sitting in Schnelly's Jeep while he's getting wiped out by some idiot driver:

jocelyne-streamer-omg-wtf-6mufkbih8h1mh865.gif

Well, it needs breaks on all 4 corners anyway, so looks like I'll be repainting the calibers at the same time.
Hard to see in the pic but are those pink calibers or just red ones that have been overheated? "Tasteful" very "tasteful" indeed.
Yes, pink/magenta/purple calibers, and no, not from being overheated. Someone actually intentionally made them that color. Despite all of the other mods being tasteful "bling", this calls into serious question the previous owner's judgment.

So, again, like any of you would do, I stayed up til 3:00 am doing a break job and a caliber color change. I know that I should have taken them off the car, wrapped them in sheepskin and shipped them to Lithuania where a Trappist monk would strip them down and completely refinish them in the finest lacquer. But instead, I had a rattle can of red caliber paint sitting in my workshop for the past 4 years and an envelope with some caliber decals that I'd been carrying around in my briefcase for at least that long. So, I did a crappy, rattle-can-while-they're-on-the-car color change, et voila!

IMG_0844.jpeg
IMG_0842.jpeg

And for comparison, the previous color:

IMG_0836.jpeg
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver