How to get back an old car?

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

How to get back an old car?

Post by gnat » Fri May 11, 2018 5:02 am

Any of you tracked down the current owner of an old car before? If so, how does one go about it?

I'd like to try to reaquire my PITA XK8 that I sold back in 04. I know from CarFax that it was titled in Delaware in Dec of last year and is on its 3rd title change since me. Until this title change it lived its post-me life in Maryland. The 3rd owner apparently loved it as they kept it for 10 years. Can't find any for sale ads by the VIN so I don't know if the DE title is a new owner or a relocation.

It was more akin to its pre-Ford brethren than its more reliable kin, but it was my first luxury car and taught me that (contrary to how my dad raised me) that there was more to cars than getting from A to B. Out of the 5years I had it, it spent at least 3 in either the body shop or dealer. I paid a ridiculous amount for a BBK and 20" wheels for it straight from Coventry only for Jag USA to start selling them significantly cheaper (import taxes and shipping) before they made it out of customs :( It was a pain in my ass, but I still think fondly of it (sold it after its 2nd throttle body and CarFax said it got 3 more in the following 10k).

DTMiller
"Special"

Re: How to get back an old car?

Post by DTMiller » Fri May 11, 2018 5:35 am

ThePhoenix_GunAndSkiMasks.jpg
ThePhoenix_GunAndSkiMasks.jpg (28.48 KiB) Viewed 3209 times
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor
June 16, 2017 Funland GoKart Champion (6:13 p.m. main event)
Willing to risk life for track time

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri May 11, 2018 7:51 am

gnat wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 5:02 am Any of you tracked down the current owner of an old car before? If so, how does one go about it?

I'd like to try to reaquire my PITA XK8 that I sold back in 04. I know from CarFax that it was titled in Delaware in Dec of last year and is on its 3rd title change since me. Until this title change it lived its post-me life in Maryland. The 3rd owner apparently loved it as they kept it for 10 years. Can't find any for sale ads by the VIN so I don't know if the DE title is a new owner or a relocation.

It was more akin to its pre-Ford brethren than its more reliable kin, but it was my first luxury car and taught me that (contrary to how my dad raised me) that there was more to cars than getting from A to B. Out of the 5years I had it, it spent at least 3 in either the body shop or dealer. I paid a ridiculous amount for a BBK and 20" wheels for it straight from Coventry only for Jag USA to start selling them significantly cheaper (import taxes and shipping) before they made it out of customs :( It was a pain in my ass, but I still think fondly of it (sold it after its 2nd throttle body and CarFax said it got 3 more in the following 10k).
So sleep deprivation little does make people do irrational things after all!
Never gonna make you cry...

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Fri May 11, 2018 9:59 am

If you squint real hard, my A8L looks like an XK8.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Fri May 11, 2018 10:19 am

Honest answer... my first guess would be Deleware area social media & craigslist. Along with the VIN, post of pictures of the car from when you owned it and hope that someone who knows the owner will find them, even better maybe the owner will see it. Occasionally these things pick up steam and blogs like Jalopnik pick them up on slow news days. (Based on their non-car content this is every day. *rimshot*.) Further long shot maybe post a thread like this on a XK8 Jaguar forum.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

Kalashnikov
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by Kalashnikov » Fri May 11, 2018 4:53 pm

Are you a masochist? That 99 XK8 is now probably completely wrecked. I would venture a guess that it is worth under $5k. Find a newer XKR and enjoy it instead.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon May 14, 2018 7:06 am

Kalashnikov wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 4:53 pm Are you a masochist? That 99 XK8 is now probably completely wrecked. I would venture a guess that it is worth under $5k. Find a newer XKR and enjoy it instead.
Meh. I don't like the 2nd gen and later XKs and I never liked the stuff they did to the XKR to make it look different from the 8. The original XK8 was a work of art (though it has not aged well :( ) and the R body bits just ruined the lines in my opinion.

Even though the things are dirt cheap I wouldn't consider any other car but that one. I like them, but I don't lust after them (that's saved for the C, D, and E types which are all out of my price range :lol: ).

No accidents listed on the CarFax report, but they say the same about our 996 too and I know better. Still, it'd be worth 20k to get it back up to snuff if it wasn't in unreasonable condition (frame damage, flood, etc..).
32wildbilly wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 7:51 am So sleep deprivation little does make people do irrational things after all!
Nah, been thinking about it for a long time, but it just occurred to me to burn a free CarFax on it to see where it was.

Kalashnikov

Post by Kalashnikov » Mon May 14, 2018 10:59 am

Different tastes brother. I only liked the R models from the first generation of the XKs. I had an XJR from 1995 (the straight 6 supercharged one), and other than the exterior looks the Jaguar mystique was lost on me. For being such a huge car, the back seat room was atrocious (size 4 girl could not change in there and had to use a public bathroom), trunk was tiny, and interior proportions in general were a joke.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon May 14, 2018 11:07 am

Kalashnikov wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:59 am Different tastes brother. I only liked the R models from the first generation of the XKs. I had an XJR from 1995 (the straight 6 supercharged one), and other than the exterior looks the Jaguar mystique was lost on me. For being such a huge car, the back seat room was atrocious (size 4 girl could not change in there and had to use a public bathroom), trunk was tiny, and interior proportions in general were a joke.
I wouldn't mind picking up a late 90s XKR. Always liked those.

Modern (since the E) Jags have been all about style and opulence more than practicality or performance. The XJR and XKR from the turn of the century were the first nods back to their performance heritage in a long time.

It always amazed me that for almost $40k less, my XK8 had a far superior interior (wood and leather) than the 996 that we added every leather option possible to. That Jag's interior is still what I judge all luxury car interiors by to this day...
Lose the stupid mesh grill and hood vents and add a hard top and that is exactly what mine looked like. I had those wheels (and the backing Brembo BBK) shipped from the UK just in time for them to start selling them here in the states after the release of the XKR Silverstone edition (same wheels, but all silver). Damn fine looking car :mrgreen:

Kalashnikov

Post by Kalashnikov » Wed May 16, 2018 5:33 pm

Jag man you are. Watch the Grand Tour episode about Jaguars, you'll love it.