CEL Flashed twice

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

CEL Flashed twice

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon May 14, 2018 7:07 pm

Started car today, backed out of garage, waited for air pump to shut off and drove gently off. After @ four blocks never above 35mph nor above 3,000rpm. Stopped at stop light, pulled away on green still gently then about two blocks further the chime goes off, CEL is on and cpu says "drive to service facility" or something like that. Oil pressure normal, water temp(still low), no unusual noises noted and charging just under 14v...all normal for this car. Stopped to turn left and go back home when warnings go off. Went straight @ another half block and same warning-same gauge results. Turned left to go home and everything went off. Drove the nine or so blocks back home without further excitement. Parked in garage, jumped out everything sounds and smells normal at idle including my shorts. Don't have none of them there fancy check'n thangs! Checked with the on-board displayed which said no errors saved(or something similar).

Opinions?
Never gonna make you cry...

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Re: CEL Flashed twice

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Mon May 14, 2018 9:32 pm

From what I understand - a flashing CEL is indicative of a misfire. Definitely don't drive the car until you can have codes read. The manual states that if the CEL is flashing you may damage the cats. I don't have any first hand experience with these issues, but from what I have read, the coils and/or plugs are easy culprits to visually inspect. I'm sure others will have some wisdom. Here's the snippet from the manual in the time being.

EDIT: I remember we chatted about rich-smelling oil. It was suggested to me that I should check my fuel injectors. Perhaps you should do the same.

703524d1360950620-flashing-check-engine-light-drawing1-small-2-.jpg
703524d1360950620-flashing-check-engine-light-drawing1-small-2-.jpg (47.54 KiB) Viewed 3019 times
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

Kalashnikov
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by Kalashnikov » Mon May 14, 2018 10:49 pm

Buy a cheap universal Obd 2 scanner online or at autozone. If CEL flashed and went off, it will be stored in your obd memory.

Without knowing your exact code, there is no way of knowing what could have triggered it.

EPiK
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by EPiK » Mon May 14, 2018 11:33 pm

I think he means that the CEL flashed on twice, meaning it came on 2 different times.

The main reason that a flashing CEL/misfire would cause damage is if there is a misfire, then that cylinders fuel is not being burned and is injected right into the cat substrate. Raw fuel on that material will melt and plug it up in a hot minute.

I don't think that is your problem though..

You don't even need to buy the OBD2 checker.. you can drive up to any major autoparts chain Autozone, Advance, O'Reillys, Pep Boys and they will scan it for free and give you a print out of the code(s).
1999 Carrera 2, factory ordered LSD, GT3 wannabe and daily driver
1988 944 NA/AT to MT/Turbo project.. future Outlaw
2003 G35 coupe 6mt GT35RS.. other daily driver
2013 Durango R/T package with a 6er

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue May 15, 2018 4:39 am

Thanks guys. Guess I'll go buy a code reader. Epic is correct the CEL came on two separate times not a constant flashing. I did check the owners manual and reviewed the Bentley book so guessed I would need a reader. Exactly what does the "check" function that displays below the tach, internal to the car for and/or show, as mine said nothing?

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Tue May 15, 2018 6:37 am

"Errr, uhh... Hello Boss", exclaimed Bonzo

"Hallo", said Dr. Wolfgang Porsche

"Yea, uh, Wolf Doctor, I mean... ugh...Sorry! Dr. Porsche... this is Bonzo down in the ECU programming department", winced Bonzo

"Spuck es aus, Bonzo", shouts Dr. Porsche

"Yes, I'm sooooo happy to let you know that I just received another ping from an old 996 C4S over in Nebraska", said Bonzo

"The programming and cell data transmitter is working perfectly and should bring thousands back into the company", Bonzo proudly exclaims

"Vetty good, my little professor programmer friend", said Dr. Porsche

"What should we do next?", asks Bonzo

"Vet us juz zit back and vatch zea fruits of vour labor", states Dr. Porsche

"Oh oh oh, I get it... just watch'm drive up to the dealerships in the thousands?? Like what we did with the keyfobs and immobilizers? Brillant! Just so you know, to insure he comes back to only Porsche, I'm programmed the ECU to only give limit data on those silly aftermarket scan tools if the owner tries to pull a fast one on us. And, the CEL in the car is designed to keep blinking on and off until it annoys the hell outta the owner. hahahah... Ooooo I just love my job Wolfman... I mean Wolfgang. ekkk... Dr. Porsche"

Dr. Porsche hangs up.

"I guess that means he is happy???", shrugs Bonzo
monkey2_porschetech.jpg
monkey2_porschetech.jpg (56.18 KiB) Viewed 3001 times

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue May 15, 2018 7:08 am

b3freak wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 6:37 am "Errr, uhh... Hello Boss", exclaimed Bonzo

"Hallo", said Dr. Wolfgang Porsche

"Yea, uh, Wolf Doctor, I mean... ugh...Sorry! Dr. Porsche... this is Bonzo down in the ECU programming department", winced Bonzo

"Spuck es aus, Bonzo", shouts Dr. Porsche

"Yes, I'm sooooo happy to let you know that I just received another ping from an old 996 C4S over in Nebraska", said Bonzo

"The programming and cell data transmitter is working perfectly and should bring thousands back into the company", Bonzo proudly exclaims

"Vetty good, my little professor programmer friend", said Dr. Porsche

"What should we do next?", asks Bonzo

"Vet us juz zit back and vatch zea fruits of vour labor", states Dr. Porsche

"Oh oh oh, I get it... just watch'm drive up to the dealerships in the thousands?? Like what we did with the keyfobs and immobilizers? Brillant! Just so you know, to insure he comes back to only Porsche, I'm programmed the ECU to only give limit data on those silly aftermarket scan tools if the owner tries to pull a fast one on us. And, the CEL in the car is designed to keep blinking on and off until it annoys the hell outta the owner. hahahah... Ooooo I just love my job Wolfman... I mean Wolfgang. ekkk... Dr. Porsche"

Dr. Porsche hangs up.

"I guess that means he is happy???", shrugs Bonzo

monkey2_porschetech.jpg
B3: I am seriously concerned about your thought patterns, sometimes! :lol: Do you really "work" for a living because you should be a writer or on-stage entertainer ala Robin Williams!

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Tue May 15, 2018 10:38 am

32wildbilly wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 4:39 am Epic is correct the CEL came on two separate times not a constant flashing.
Oh in that case it can be stupid stuff. Is your gas cap on tight? Did you put the oil cap on crooked after your oil change?

Being able to read codes is always a good thing in this situation but a solid CEL is less menacing than a flashing one.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue May 15, 2018 11:10 am

I don't want to say coils, but my money is on coils. ;)

Inconsistent CELs is a common sign of one or more bad coils. It mostly comes out when water or high humidity is involved, but our's got uppity during some super dry weather.

A code scanner will confirm or refute.

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Tue May 15, 2018 11:30 am

Billy:
I have the older version (AL-619) of this one, Autel AL-629:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RDY1PX/re ... merReviews

Free same-day delivery from Amazon prime for $142.95. In addition to check engine, it also does ABS, SRS and transmission codes. Unlike Durametric or VAGCOM, it works on all makes/models (just in case you own other brands of cars).
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver