Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Kalashnikov
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by Kalashnikov » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:32 pm

Was on MB forum, reading entertaining threads. Found this.

I was driving my 2014 CLA 45 AMG at around 75 mph not even running it hard and it started smoking and squealing (there was no check oil, over heat, or etc lights on or warnings given). Pulled off the road within 10-20 seconds of this starting. Opened the hood and everything looked fine thought A pulley froze up or etc. Had it towed to a local shop (the closes Mercedes dealer is 203 miles away from me) they found nothing wrong with the pulleys or serpentine and noticed the oil was almost empty. Had the car transported to the closest Mercedes dealer which Its currently sitting at the Mercedes dealership in Albuquerque. The week before I called and told them everything that happened and scheduled an appointment for the monday after we dropped it off. When it was dropped off we gave the keys to what I assume was the general manager, owner, or etc since he left in a Porsche 911 after this and also told him what had happened and he saw us tow it in. I called the dealer ship near the end of the day that monday and asked what they found. they asked for me name and everything and couldn't find me in the system so they connected me to a service guy who said oh the blue cla 45 amg that whines really loud when started? the service personel that I talked to the week before apparently didn't put my appointment and information in the system. Also the guy it was dropped off to also did not inform anyone that there was no oil in the car... The service tech calls me a couple hours later and tells me that the engine threw a rod and will be 39k to fix!!! the next day I called mercedes corporate and put in a request for a goodwill repair or for the dealership to fix my car since it is possible they are the ones that blew the engine by starting it and possibly trying to run it into the garage with no oil. Supposed to hear back monday or tuesday on what mercedes will offer if anything. If not i'm going to have to declare bankruptcy since I have a $38k loan on the car and definitly can't put another 39k in it. anyone heard of an engine blowing in one of these so suddenly or even at all? any advice for me? Anything would help.

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:39 pm

I assume most of the advice was don't by an out of warranty car if the repair will force you into bankruptcy?
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor
June 16, 2017 Funland GoKart Champion (6:13 p.m. main event)
Willing to risk life for track time

KoB
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by KoB » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:21 pm

Last year I had an oil pump issue with the 996. I had it flatbedded to my regular indy mechanic, who is one of those fixing-Porsches-since-1977 kind of guys. Nevertheless, I pulled the battery cable, taped over the ignition switch, and put a sign in each window that said, “no oil in car — do not start.” I should’ve pulled the starter relay, too, but I didn’t think of that.

I got to the shop before the flatbed, but taped to the steering wheel was a summary of the problem (the relief valve didn’t seem to be working properly, then the relief valve shaft snapped and popped out when I went to replace the spring and piston). My mechanic laughed when he saw all the precautionary measures — but he wasn’t insulted. And he left the signs in place.

I feel this Mercedes guy’s pain, but if I’ve got a bankruptcy-level note on a broken car, maybe I’m a little more cautious about putting it on a truck and not meeting it at the other end ... even if it is 200 miles away. I think he just paid tuition on an important life lesson. I may have to watch the MB forum just to see how this one turns out.

Best part of the story was the guy who “left in a Porsche 911.”
2000 Cabriolet-vertible, Paladio Pearl (Mirage) Metallic
1986 944, Zermatt Silver, AKA Der HooptieWagen

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:47 pm

I was waiting for the punch line to be "we don't know anything about your car and we don't know who you are talking about, no one here drives a 911"...

Kalashnikov

Post by Kalashnikov » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:55 pm

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:37 pm

gnat wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:47 pm I was waiting for the punch line to be "we don't know anything about your car and we don't know who you are talking about, no one here drives a 911"...
:lol: Same here.

Kalashnikov - you're like a forum drama-sniffing bloodhound. How do you find all of these threads?
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

Cuda911
Possum Hauler

Post by Cuda911 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:07 pm

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:37 pm
gnat wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:47 pm I was waiting for the punch line to be "we don't know anything about your car and we don't know who you are talking about, no one here drives a 911"...
:lol: Same here.

Kalashnikov - you're like a forum drama-sniffing bloodhound. How do you find all of these threads?
Hey, hey.... I found a drama-filled thread on PriusChat with a heated debate over whether mileage is improved with the windows open and rear seat folded down.
Mike

'68 Ford Custom 500; '70 Plymouth Cuda; '71 Ford Econoline; 73 Porsche 914 1.7, '74 Porsche 914 1.8; '74 Suzuki TC185; '86 Suzuki GS450L; '88 Subaru GL104WD Turbo Ltd Edn;; '88 Subaru XT; '91 Lexus ES250; '93 Jeep Wrangler, '99 Porsche Boxster, '03 Turbo VW Beetle; '03 Porsche Boxster; '03 Porsche Carrera C2; '07 Porsche Cayman, '11 BMW 328i, '12 Porsche 991 S, '14 Porsche Cayman, & a mishmash of other vehicles.

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:15 pm

Do you think the MPG improves with a carbon fiber splitter?

Kalashnikov

Post by Kalashnikov » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:59 pm

Finding disaster threads is pretty easy if you see the signs.

Usual combinations: Eager young guy + expensive high performance car, high performance car out of warranty+ large car loan, high performance car bought cheaply without PPI or warranty, spelling/writing style/questions give away the owner's inexperience.

Kalashnikov

Post by Kalashnikov » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:25 pm

More real life drama. I see a car parked in my community with no plates, I call tow company. They tag it for 24 hours, then tow. Get a call from my HOA Company manager today asking if I towed someone. I go yep, they had no plates. HOA lady says that car's owner e-mailed her two days ago asking not to be towed as her daughter had her plates stolen...and HOA lady forgot to tell me. I say, tough luck.

She e-mails a bit later, says tow guys ran the car's VIN and said plate was taken away due to DUI. Car owner says plates were stolen two days ago and she filed a police report and wants HOA to pay $145 towing fee.

I say, give me time to get home from work and check my dash cam. I check DC, it shows that the car appeared in the community on May 21st with NO PLATES and sat in the same spot for over 10 days (7 days without moving warrants the tow based on my CC&R regardless).

I made a video of every day since May 21st showing the car parked, sent it to HOA lady and to my board members. Told HOA lady to ask from the car's owner when she says the plates were stolen and when she filed the police report. If she is stupid and says May 29th, I will absolutely tear her a new one and invite our community cop to the next meeting. I will ask her a few questions and ask to see the police report.

Then I will recreate this, and I got the tapes....: