Decklid Actuator Failure?

sweet victory
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Decklid Actuator Failure?

Post by sweet victory » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:15 pm

Has anyone had any issues with their decklid actuator? After I changed my wing my to the Shaw GT2, I've had issues with it. I can get the decklid to open as long as my girlfriend gives me a hand. When I use the electronic lever, I can gear the actuator making noise, but the decklid still won't open on its own. I've tried adjusting the hinge mountss, replacing the gas strut, and lubricating the latch with no luck.

Any help is appreciated!

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: Decklid Actuator Failure?

Post by 32wildbilly » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:29 pm

sweet victory wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:15 pm Has anyone had any issues with their decklid actuator? After I changed my wing my to the Shaw GT2, I've had issues with it. I can get the decklid to open as long as my girlfriend gives me a hand. When I use the electronic lever, I can gear the actuator making noise, but the decklid still won't open on its own. I've tried adjusting the hinge mountss, replacing the gas strut, and lubricating the latch with no luck.

Any help is appreciated!
No experience but sounds like an additional weight problem. So the GF lifts up while you trigger the lever and the lid comes open?
Never gonna make you cry...

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:29 pm

Correct.

theprf
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by theprf » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:30 am

Can you add a second gas strut - Turbos have 2 gas struts from the factory.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:32 am

The deck lid is supposed to pop up? Ours with the factory taco never has, but it doesn't take two people to open it. Press the button, then walk around a lift even though it looks closed.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:06 am

theprf wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:30 am Can you add a second gas strut - Turbos have 2 gas struts from the factory.
I thought all 996's had two struts?? Only experience I have is with my C4S which has two. Maybe because of the turbro style body.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:08 am

sweet victory wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:15 pm Has anyone had any issues with their decklid actuator? After I changed my wing my to the Shaw GT2, I've had issues with it. I can get the decklid to open as long as my girlfriend gives me a hand. When I use the electronic lever, I can gear the actuator making noise, but the decklid still won't open on its own. I've tried adjusting the hinge mountss, replacing the gas strut, and lubricating the latch with no luck.

Any help is appreciated!
SV: Did you try to adjust the rubber stops on either side of the lid? I believe these screw in and out to adjust tightness of lid when closed. Might also help in getting the lid to release from latch. Make sure they are still flexy and not hardened.

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:29 am

Both of my Carreras did the same thing... push the button, hear the actuator unlock, and then have to kinda pry the deck lid open. Doesn't pop up like you would think. I agree with the others here... weight may be the problem.

Am I wrong here guys, but doesn't the lock/spring mechanism work to push the rear deck lid open? That is, it doesn't really have to do with the electric actuator?

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:44 am

gnat wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:32 am The deck lid is supposed to pop up? Ours with the factory taco never has, but it doesn't take two people to open it. Press the button, then walk around a lift even though it looks closed.
I'm with gnat...my engine lid doesn't pop open, it just releases the lock then you lift by hand and I don't a wing. However, sounds like SV's deal is if someone isn't at the lid to lift when the release is actuated it won't unlatch. Therefore my question about adjusting the bumper stops to add a little upward force. Hell it could be aliens as far as I know...

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:18 am

I should re-phrase. My decklid will not unlatch on it's own. I have to have my girlfriend press the button while I lift the decklid.

I have tried adjusting the stops as far out as they will go without any luck. I was hoping the actuator/latch had some sort of mechanism to push the latch out vs just relying on the gas strut. God forbid I resort to using the manual latch. :o