Drones, quadcopters, and FPV flight

Kalashnikov
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: Drones, quadcopters, and FPV flight

Post by Kalashnikov » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:46 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:43 pm The harsh and unfair treatment of that young woman is having an incredible impact on voters. It's crucial that we not besmirch her otherwise impeccable record with these totally uncorroborated allegations!

(Incidentally, I'm not being truculent; I'm paraphrasing Trump tweets to add a counterpoint to your point. The whole thing is a rinse-and-repeat shitshow)
The timing irony....
Attachments
_20181004_154554.JPG
_20181004_154554.JPG (53.22 KiB) Viewed 3501 times

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:01 pm

Pics or it never happened.

(we would accept video as well)
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

Kalashnikov

Post by Kalashnikov » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:06 pm

FRUNKenstein wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:01 pm Pics or it never happened.

(we would accept video as well)
This proves my point. If this story was told from female's side, you would be crucified for not consoling her and immediately presuming the man is guilty.

Since this story is told from my side as a guy, strangely no sympathy.

Pound Me Too.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:32 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:43 pm The harsh and unfair treatment of that young woman is having an incredible impact on voters. It's crucial that we not besmirch her otherwise impeccable record with these totally uncorroborated allegations!

(Incidentally, I'm not being truculent; I'm paraphrasing Trump tweets to add a counterpoint to your point. The whole thing is a rinse-and-repeat shitshow)
OK...OK...must stay calm. The top of this thread on my screen is titled "Drones, quadcopter, and FPV flight"...HELP!!! I must have one of those Chinese rice sized chips in my computer! It must have caused a bleed over from the trumpism thread...Crap! Put more tariffs on them quick!

WHADDA DO? WHADDA DO?
Never gonna make you cry...

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:38 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:24 pm "Credible threat" would be the use of the drone in counter-surveillance to watch for the Feds, I assume. In English, that means that they're asking for permission - presumably with no oversight or warrant requirements - to be able to interfere with the command-and-control means for controlling drones - which is disturbingly broad since drones use a wide range of technologies and frequencies for control as well as video transmission. Since both of MY drones can also fly entirely autonomously to any number of preprogrammed waypoints using only GPS telemetry data, are we also giving the Feds free rein to do the same thing the entire maritime world is freaking out about when the NorKors and Russians do it (https://www.newscientist.com/article/21 ... berweapon/)?

All of the following could be under the blanket of "disrupting control" of a drone:
* Internet connectivity
* Electricity
* Cell coverage
* Wi-fi/non-cellular wireless internet
* GPS reception (disruption or location spoofing - if you can make the drone think it's not where it's supposed to be, and make it think your van IS the place it's supposed to be, it'll go to your van)
* All wireless frequencies that can/could be used for radio control, other forms of remote control, wireless video and audio

I'm sure a federal judge will interpret this to mean that hacking/rootkitting any computers, phones, tablets, etc. used in the control of, flight planning for, or the data stream associated with any drone as well.

I'm sure the Ministry of Speech will come up with a nice eulogy for me.
I was thinking more of a Oerliken 20mm canon.

Kalashnikov

Post by Kalashnikov » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:46 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:32 pm

OK...OK...must stay calm. The top of this thread on my screen is titled "Drones, quadcopter, and FPV flight"...HELP!!! I must have one of those Chinese rice sized chips in my computer! It must have caused a bleed over from the trumpism thread...Crap! Put more tariffs on them quick!

WHADDA DO? WHADDA DO?
By ignoring the sexual assault victims, you become the assaulter yourself!!! You are a rapist Bill!!! Help, help, I am triggered!!!

Not fun when leftist logic and behavior are used against you eh?

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:57 pm

Kalashnikov wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:46 pm
32wildbilly wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:32 pm

WHADDA DO? WHADDA DO?
By ignoring the sexual assault victims, you become the assaulter yourself!!! You are a rapist Bill!!! Help, help, I am triggered!!!

Not fun when leftist logic and behavior are used against you eh?
Seriously? I think you are being exceedingly humorous! Thanks for brightening my day.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:00 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:32 pm OK...OK...must stay calm. The top of this thread on my screen is titled "Drones, quadcopter, and FPV flight"...HELP!!! I must have one of those Chinese rice sized chips in my computer! It must have caused a bleed over from the trumpism thread...Crap! Put more tariffs on them quick!

WHADDA DO? WHADDA DO?

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:05 pm

gnat wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:00 pm
32wildbilly wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:32 pm OK...OK...must stay calm. The top of this thread on my screen is titled "Drones, quadcopter, and FPV flight"...HELP!!! I must have one of those Chinese rice sized chips in my computer! It must have caused a bleed over from the trumpism thread...Crap! Put more tariffs on them quick!

WHADDA DO? WHADDA DO?
I've got that:
topic.jpg
topic.jpg (32.82 KiB) Viewed 3484 times

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:31 am

So, back to drones:

The Phantom 3 had a rough weekend. The Phantom flight controller cuts engine power if the aircraft exceeds 45 degrees, and on Friday afternoon during a corkscrew climb, I hit that magic 45 degree number and the engines cut out at about 40 feet.

An object accelerates on Earth at 32 ft/sec/sec - after just one second, it was already falling at nearly 22 MPH; it was falling faster than it can fly when it hit the hillside and cartwheeled another 100 feet or so.

Busted 4 props, tore the camera completely off of the gimbal, ripped the gimbal off of the aircraft (it was hanging by one wire), busted the landing gear on one side, buckled the airframe enough that the flight controller was ejected partially out the side (after shearing off all 4 mounting bolts). I found the battery about 20 feet away.

After repairing most of the physical damage and amputating the remainder of the gimbal mount, I was feeling pretty good - while it sucks that the camera got destroyed, I'm keeping the Phantom as a dedicated lift platform anyway; I have cameras and other stuff ready to go. However, the electronic compass module was torn off of the craft - and the connector on the printed circuit board was ripped completely off.

I'm going to try soldering new leads onto the PCB so I can reconnect the compass module (which is also part of the antenna array) - if I can get that back together, I think I'll be back in business. The drone boots again, but the signal (with no antenna) is far too weak to attempt to fly even if I could bypass the missing compass module (which I can't).

I was pretty bummed on Friday; right now, I'm about 80% sure I can get it flying again with nothing new except a replacement camera and some soldering. If the PCB is shot (or I solder it to death), I'll source a replacement DJI controller or rip out the DJI board entirely and replace it with an aftermarket board or Arducopter/Ardupilot flight controller.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.