Remote lock question

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Remote lock question

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:08 am

I know how the timeout feature works on the remote lock. Here's my question: after the receiver goes to sleep, I unlock the car with the key, drive it, park and try to electronically lock it...won't work for one or two times of drive-park-lock manually-unlock manually for the car to start reacting normally. After it starts working it is as good as ever. Transmitter battery fresh. What's up with that...normal?? Am I not holding my mouth right or what? Does my car hate me for not driving it more and is pouting?

Not a big deal, but irritating.
Never gonna make you cry...

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Re: Remote lock question

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:38 pm

Yeah, well...Porsche is the same company that thought putting the immobilizer in a kiddie pool under your ass was a good idea, so...

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:41 am

5chn3ll wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:38 pm Yeah, well...Porsche is the same company that thought putting the immobilizer in a kiddie pool under your ass was a good idea, so...
Ok...it's a coupe, true it does have a sunroof, I try not to drive it in the rain(we get too much hail with our rain), don't wash it too often as it stays fairly clean and while I'm old I can still hold my "water"-fairly well. So don't think my immobilizer is doing the back stroke.

Any other thoughts?

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:57 am

Still could be the module just flaking out. Don't know if it is just due to clean living or dumb luck, but we've never had the issue that you describe. Our process in such a case is:

1) Manually unlock door
1a) Usually forgetting which way to turn the key
2) Curse the car when the alarm goes off cause we "locked" it on the first try.
3) Stick the key in the ignition and turn it to On without cranking.
4) Get in and start the car
5) Hit the lock/unlock button on the bash to unlock the other door and gas cap.
6) Drive off

If you aren't doing #5, give that a try and see if it helps.

Or your Unicorn semen tank needs to be topped off.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:57 am

Oh. Of course the easiest option is to just drive it more frequently :P

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:41 am

gnat wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:57 am Oh. Of course the easiest option is to just drive it more frequently :P
I have done #5 and I was waiting for the above comment, which btw is embarrassingly accurate. :(

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:55 am

I think its just flaky from age. Mine works more often than not, but I have to be really close and even then sometimes it just does not feel like working.

Here's another question: Why is there only a lock on one side? If I'm driving the kids around, I open their (passenger) door first. If electronic unlocking isn't working, Dad says a curse word.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:14 am

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:55 am I think its just flaky from age. Mine works more often than not, but I have to be really close and even then sometimes it just does not feel like working.

Here's another question: Why is there only a lock on one side? If I'm driving the kids around, I open their (passenger) door first. If electronic unlocking isn't working, Dad says a curse word.
I have wondered that myself. Maybe makes the car more wind tunnel friendly or German engineers think a passenger is not needed. Surprised they even put door handle on the side.

DBJoe996
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by DBJoe996 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:15 am

I have wondered about this too! I have to use the key blade in the door for years now since the remote gave up, and if that one lock cylinder bites the dust then it is window breaking time (or a locksmith). And, after 11 years of ownership of the Mini Cooper, hey...thought it might be a good idea to try the key in the door because I have heard of the remote batteries dying (not replaceable in the Mini key fob). Well, it turns out the key doesn't work to unlock the car manually. The only way to get another key is proof of ownership at a Mini dealer where they then send you a new key fob programmed to your VIN from Germany (super secret spy type stuff). What do you think my chances are that somehow or another, I have the wrong key blade and I will get the right one with a replacement key? For $300? Life choices suck sometimes.......

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:41 am

DBJoe996 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:15 am I have wondered about this too! I have to use the key blade in the door for years now since the remote gave up, and if that one lock cylinder bites the dust then it is window breaking time (or a locksmith). And, after 11 years of ownership of the Mini Cooper, hey...thought it might be a good idea to try the key in the door because I have heard of the remote batteries dying (not replaceable in the Mini key fob). Well, it turns out the key doesn't work to unlock the car manually. The only way to get another key is proof of ownership at a Mini dealer where they then send you a new key fob programmed to your VIN from Germany (super secret spy type stuff). What do you think my chances are that somehow or another, I have the wrong key blade and I will get the right one with a replacement key? For $300? Life choices suck sometimes.......
DB: Did the immobilizer in the car give up or just the remote part of the key for the Porsche? So as far as you know the key blade has never worked on the Mini!! either side??