Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by B3DAWG » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:30 am

gnat wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:10 am While I am of the opinion that you should pay for content, I think media providers are ridiculous in their attempts at securing their content.

The reality is that those that are going to steal it are not deterred and it only negatively impacts the legal users of the content (e.g. a PITA to backup or move between devices).
I've heard all my life that "locks only good to keep the honest people out", but Jake is of a different camp. He would say, "While locks may only keep the honest people out, guns keep them from stepping on my property". hahaha.

Seriously, Jake has spend a small fortune hiring lawyers to draft patents and to fight the copycats. We're taking extra steps to help minimize illegal copying of our video series. That's the best we can do to protect our investment. I don't think it's ridiculous to fight.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:36 am

DTMiller wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:52 am
b3freak wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:30 am

Yep, prolly pirated copies. This kind of thing boils my blood and concerns me since I've spent the last year producing the M9X series for Jake Raby. We're having to pay a lot of money just to encrypt the videos as an extra step to help minimize illegal coping as well as paying specialized lawyers to hunt down these people for patent and copyright infringement. Nothing is fool proof, but I just wish they were more simple mechanisms in place to stop these types of people.
I have a fair amount of professional experience with piracy and the reality is that pirates don't pay for content and the energy and effort spent combatting it is almost always a net negative.
Hell, I've walked down the sidewalks in big cities and people setup card tables full of pirated DVD's/CD's/etc for sale. Seems the police don't give two s--ts about it.
Never gonna make you cry...

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:25 am

My life has descended into chaos and strife.

Each December, my wife invites all of her sisters, sisters-in-law, and nieces for a weekend of holiday baking. This makes my wife extraordinarily happy.

This is that weekend.

Normally, my wife, Pee Pee Eye, and I are the sole occupants of our home. For the next two days, there will be 9 extra women between the ages of 15 and 50 wreaking absolute havoc. You'd think that as a part-Mormon household (not my part, obviously), I'd embrace having a few "sister wives" around - but f*** that noise. I am quite fond of being married, but the idea of having extra wives is about as appealing to me as having extra buttholes - I'm not sure what it would buy me other than more noise and more mess.

If - and that's a f*****g BIG if - there is a bright spot to this situation, it's that my 9-year-old nephew tagged along with one of the sisters-in-law - and the kid is a gearhead in training. The boy and I will take the Mavic and go find a wide-open space to turn Corvette tires into smoke.

Your hopes and prayers (heh) are appreciated.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:44 am

A peek inside Schnelly's house this weekend:

Schnelly's house.gif
Schnelly's house.gif (1016.36 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:13 am

32wildbilly wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:36 am

I have a fair amount of professional experience with piracy and the reality is that pirates don't pay for content and the energy and effort spent combatting it is almost always a net negative.
Hell, I've walked down the sidewalks in big cities and people setup card tables full of pirated DVD's/CD's/etc for sale. Seems the police don't give two s--ts about it.
Probably more important things to do, I would guess. One of the years the Yankees won the world series (probably 1998), there was a raid in Zuccotti park (across from the WTC) on the vendors selling knock off Yankees gear just as I was coming out of the PATH station. Tables flying, people running, cops everywhere.

I guess the point is, as in everything, it's who you know. One of the Steinbrenners may have noticed these guys at previous parades, and that was that.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

Kalashnikov

Post by Kalashnikov » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:14 am

Schnell...

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:25 am

32wildbilly wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:36 am

Yep, they're more interested in making sure they have valid vendor licenses than anything they're actually selling.

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:26 am

5chn3ll wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:25 am My life has descended into chaos and strife.

Each December, my wife invites all of her sisters, sisters-in-law, and nieces for a weekend of holiday baking. This makes my wife extraordinarily happy.

This is that weekend.

Normally, my wife, Pee Pee Eye, and I are the sole occupants of our home. For the next two days, there will be 9 extra women between the ages of 15 and 50 wreaking absolute havoc. You'd think that as a part-Mormon household (not my part, obviously), I'd embrace having a few "sister wives" around - but f*** that noise. I am quite fond of being married, but the idea of having extra wives is about as appealing to me as having extra buttholes - I'm not sure what it would buy me other than more noise and more mess.

If - and that's a f*****g BIG if - there is a bright spot to this situation, it's that my 9-year-old nephew tagged along with one of the sisters-in-law - and the kid is a gearhead in training. The boy and I will take the Mavic and go find a wide-open space to turn Corvette tires into smoke.

Your hopes and prayers (heh) are appreciated.
Maybe this is her way of showing you want hell is like? :lol:

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:29 am

The Mormons don't believe in a proper fire-n-brimstone Hell. Their version is called "outer darkness" - which sounds pretty freaking awesome to me right about now.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

Einsteiger

Post by Einsteiger » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:02 pm

The whole copyright / patent theivery issue goes up geometrically when you leave the US.

Some years ago a friend backed a local chemist-geek on a medial testing process. It worked. So they went through the gauntlet of getting a US Patent for the process, which my friend likened to: hiring a silk-stocking law firm, then making weeky trips to throw bushel baskets of money down a dark hole, hoping eventually be be granted a US Patent.

They were successful....then the good news:

Their patent attorneys in DC said that when you go overseas to get a patent - which our heroes planned on doing - the big risk is that certain foreign governments [Russia and China are the biggest and most blatent] will take your patent application [knowing that it's a winner because it has a US patent attached] and give it to whatever corporation or cartel or mob wing that is in favor that month and they will proceed to knock off you patent in a heartbeat.

Copyright is simply ignored outside the US. Hell, it's mostly ignored INSIDE the US.

Fingers crossed for your efforts.
Kevin
1999 C2 - Vesuvio Metallic
OP Kansas